“Very Nice Stay...”

Ramada Naples City Center
Ranked #46 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My travel agent booked this hotel, before I read the reviews. I was worried by all the bad reviews, but when I arrived at the hotel I was very pleasantly surprised.

From the moment I arrived the staffmembers were very friendly. This Ramada is much nicer than the ones in America. Francesco, the bartender, provided great service. Nico the waiter, was excellent as well.

The buffet breakfast was one of the best I had in Italy, and I traveled extensively throughout the country.

The room was clean, and quiet. I had a great stay, and do not have one complaint.

Yes, Naples is busy, and can be a little dirtier than most Italian cities. Yet, the people, the food and the beauty of the city are not to be missed. I fell in love with Naples. I will stay at this hotel when I return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Massimo D, Direttore at Ramada Naples City Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

what to say, everyone in the forum expresses their experience of stay without any filter nor benchmark. I believe it is appropriate to evaluate these comments for what they are: considerations in freedom!
I am very happy about your feedback , which confirms my point of view and that Ramada Naples met your expectations fully.
Regards,

Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night before a 6:40 am flight out of Naples. Location is right near the train station and convenient to the airport. The place had no hot water and I had a freezing shower at 3:30 am. There's a way to wake up! When I told the front desk about this at checkout there was a quick apology. I later learned of 3 other rooms (from friends staying there) with the same problem. The staff was lackluster at best as far as service. I am not sure how this qualifies as a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012
Massimo D, Direttore at Ramada Naples City Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Dear Guest,
I am deeply sorry for the inconvenience you have suffered. I confirm that, unfortunately, we had a serious problem with a water circulating pump; issue immediately solved as a result of your reporting and that of some other guests. I invite you to contact our customer service for the best resolution of your case. I also inform you that during the night shift at the reception we have two employees who become four after 7AM: an ideal operating/quality standard for a 4star hotel in Europe.
Best regards,

Reviewed August 23, 2012

This hotel has very few positives it can claim.
We arrived in the evening to this hotel having had a very quick transfer from the airport via taxi.

We had originally booked this hotel for a 7 day trip to explore Naples & the Amalfi Coast. It had a very good deal on its website for a double room with breakfast included. Too good to be true it seems!

We arrived to a friendly receptionist who gave us the keys to our room while informing us there was a city tax of 3€ per person per night. Bit of a surprise but nothing too concerning!

However it was our rooms that left us dismayed. Our first room had not been cleaned and there were some dubious stains and markings on the bed. In addition, the lights & AC weren't working.

We went back downstairs and were immediately transferred to a different room on the corridor..with a main door that didn't lock. It was so frustrating!

We returned to reception & asked for another room. The receptionist throughout was friendly but clearly not well experienced at her job. At this attempt she said there would be no need to change room again, they would just clean the first room. After we pointed out this was poor service we finally got a room with everything working.

The decor I can't complain about, it's basic and what I expected for a price of about £40 per night.

However the restaurant for dinner and breakfast just added to the depressing experience.
I ordered the "quick" dish on the menu, which although it was only meant to be chicken and veg, it looked vile. It tasted worse. And to top it off I was charged 15€ for it!

The breakfast items were all stale pastries. At one point I tried to have some cereal but the smell of the milk was enough to put me off. It might have been out of date but at that point I didn't care anymore!

The location is perfectly placed next to Naples Central station. Great for travelling! However this happens to be one of the most rundown parts of the city. Definitely did not feel safe for women at night/early evening to walk around or for young families to stay here.

Sure enough, myself & my family members checked out that morning. We had obviously lost a lot on our pre-paid booking but we had to leave if we were to enjoy the holiday.

If you get a cheap deal from this hotel & can stomach poor food & rooms, by all means go ahead and use it as a base to explore Naples.

However in my opinion, if you want to really enjoy your holiday and look forward to having nice accommodation I strongly suggest you stay clear. Other options are available around the city and in neighbouring Sorrento, Cava & Salerno- all 20 minutes by train from Naples!

• Stayed: August 2012
Massimo D, Direttore at Ramada Naples City Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear guest,
I will try to give a detailed response to your comments that will, hopefully, provide you and those reading an objective interpretation of what happened. The city tax is clearly stated on our site, as it is on all reservation sites. Upon your arrival, the receptionist made a mistake and gave you an "out of service" room, i.e., a room that was not cleaned and with the relative systems (electricity and air-conditioning) turned off. Our rooms can always be opened from the inside (for reasons of safety in the case of fire and/or earthquake, for example) and, even with the bolt turned, the guest can immediately open the door by turning tha handle; something that, obviously, can't be done from the outside, also because there is no handle! Relative to the food, I would like to point out that the dish you selected is named "American style Chicken with spinach for the strong" and normally priced on the menu. However, I agree that any Neapolitan speciality on the menu would have been more to your liking. While, in regards to your comment about breakfast, I really don't understand the connection between not eating cereal and the smell of milk, which I think is difficult to believe if not actually ridiculous. I would also like to remind you that our buffet breakfast offers, among other things, eggs, bacon, sausages, potatoes, savory croissants, krapfen, fresh fruit, crepes, etc.
In all sincerity, I think that the negative experience you had on arrival at Ramada (being given a room that was not ready) irreparably marred your stay and your memories. I also think that the readers of this site will be able to find calmer and more credible comments about our property.
Kind regards,

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Room was ok, tub/shower was the biggest and most American that we saw during our 2 week Italy trip. We had a room reserved for 3 beds, first room had 2 beds, second room the AC didnt work, 3rd room was ok AC. Dont expect great AC in Italy. We stayed here so we didnt have to walk around Naples to find food, we were especially leery after being almost mugged at the train station. We went down to the restaurant for dinner and it was 30 euros per person. We did not eat there. Front desk lady would openly ignore the Americans to help the Italians first, I resorted to rudely and loudly interrupting them until I got service. I would prefer to never be caught in Naples again, no fault of the hotel.

Dear Guest,

I want to personally apologize for the type of room you were given when you arrived, while I have to stress the "unlimited assistance" provided by our reception staff. Ramada is an American chain and we have many more foreign than Italian guests; we offer help regardless of the passport they give us and every individual guest receives the due time and assistance. I also hope that you can rethink your opinion of Naples.
Best regards,

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We recently stayed here for one night because we had an early flight out of Naples the next morning. The hotel is conveniently located within a 5 minute walk from the train station. However, the staff seem to be a bit confused. We booked a room for 3 guests and another for 4 guests. When we arrived, the hotel staff gave us they keys to someone else's room with all their belongings still there. Then they gave us a room with two twin beds for 4 people. When I called to inquire about whether this was correct, the guy replied "yeah, what's the problem?" Then we found out that the rest of our family got a big room with a king bed and a cot for 3 people. We ended up having to switch rooms and they brought us extra cots. I had to ask for extra towels. The hotel staff also gave us incorrect information regarding Naples airport. Two of the receptionists independently told me that Naples airport opens at 5 am. We had an early flight out at 6:05 am and they said it would be OK. I was too nervous to cut it so close so we arrived at the airport at 3:45 am and there was already a line up at the check in counter.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
more than confused, I think that my co-workers'heads were still "on vacation". I also personally apologize for an error that was as innocent as it was annoying for the guest but that created a not very reassuring image of the hotel where they were about to stay. While as regards the information about tha airport, I assure you that I personally called the airport office and they confirmed that airport operations (ticketing and customer assistance) star from 05,00AM; this doesn't change the fact that, in any case, the public areas are always accessible (if I'm not mistaken, there is a nice film about a man who lived a long time in an airport).
Kind regards,

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We have just returned from a two week holiday stay in Napoli. This was our second visit to the city and, despite the fact that we spent a good deal of time exploring museums, churches, and archaeological sites, we only scratched the surface of what this fascinating city has to offer. It is true that Napoli suffers from some institutional neglect but it would be a mistake to let this put anybody off. The Neapolitans (and the Southerners in general) are very hospitable and the food (and wine) is about as good as you will find it anywhere in the world.

Of course, Napoli is a city and anyone who lives in a large, busy city has to be street wise (particularly at night and particularly if you are a woman.) That's true of Napoli and, believe us, that's true of cities like London and New York as well. We went as a family of four but, for a few days, I was alone with my two children when my husband had to go on a business trip. At no time did I feel threatened and the target of pickpockets or worse.

The Ramada hotel, itself, was very comfortable, the breakfasts and coffee plentiful, and the staff helpful, friendly, and, at times, hilarious (I am talking about you, Antonio!) All of us felt very much at home.

As to the location, we want to make a couple of points. Yes, there is a lot of traffic and crossing the street in Napoli is even more of an art than it is in Roma but, in general, the drivers are mindful of pedestrians and everyone seems to just embrace the chaos with gusto. The area around the station is typical of areas around major stations in many cities but, unlike London, New York, even Paris, the number of muggings that take place is vanishingly small. On the other hand, the station is truly central and it is very easy from there to get transport to all of the other interesting parts of Napoli and its surroundings.Furthermore, there are a number of excellent restaurants within brief walking distance of the hotel.

In summary, we had a great and enriching time in Napoli, very much enjoyed our stay at the Ramada and definitely plan to return some day!

4  Thank WillandAnnaC
Massimo D, Direttore at Ramada Naples City Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Dear guest,

I am very happy that you enjoyed your time at Ramada Naples as well as for the (real!) description of our city. I hope to host you again as soon as possible.

Regards,

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Hotel claims to be a 4 Star hotel but I want to know by what standards. We stayed on the 5th floor which has stains on the carpets in the hall. Once you enter the room the wall paper is peeling off in several places with brown stains on the wall paper. The fridge was not plugged up and there was black mold inside fridge. The air was not working properly in the room, but once fixed we could smell cigarette smoke all night coming through the vents. It was very loud and you could hear every sound in the hall all night long. The hotel claims to have free wifi in the lobby but it never worked our entire stay. On a positive note the hotel staff was very nice and helpful and the breakfast was very nice.

1  Thank Meredith P

Dear guest,
Today the hotel classification by stars is purely indicative and very personal as you may see from the comments of other travellers. The Ramada offers its services in manners and times that it considers relevant to its company philosophy. In this perspective should be considered the kindness of the staff and the quality of the breakfasts that met your expectations.
With regard to your warnings?? we can confirm that some rooms require more maintenance relative to the wall paper, while we do not consider very credible noise and smell of the air conditioning system (we have independent splits for each room!) as well as the lack of the
Internet connection in the lobby (which may be momentary, but certainly not repetitive for the entire stay!).
Thank you for choosing Ramada Naples.