“Skip The Wait Unless You Like Crowds”

Pizzeria Michele via Martucci
Ranked #540 of 2,993 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 27, 2013

There are crowds outside the door and Michelin signs on the front but frankly, I would give this place a B plus. First, I do not like crowds so if you do not mind that part might not be a problem for you. I also find a 30 plus minute wait for a pizza a bit much. It is just pizza.

We watched some young guys walk in and order take out and that is what we did. A far better solution. The pizza crust was good slightly burnt flavor which is what makes it unique. But I found the tomato sauce pretty tasteless. We had better sauce on a walk away small pizza from the street. Ample cheese but pretty tasteless and one basil leaf ... oh wow. Worth the 4.5 Euros ... yeah ... but just that.

Frankly, if you have to say you ate here ... go for it. Otherwise, I am sorry, the hoopla exceeds the food. Salty crust too. If you are on a low salt diet ... this will do you for the day.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This pizzeria is one of the oldest in all of Italy and it was featured in a book and film. OBVIOUSLY there will be a wait on time for you to have a seat, people from all over the world crowd around waiting to get in!!! The pizza is made fresh and the taste out of this world. That's undeniable. A must see In Napoli.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Before I even arrived in Naples I had already decided that my first slice of pizza would come from here. I had read about in Eat Pray Love and saw it recommended in a few travel books and blogs. It took a while to find it and when we did we were greeted by a sea of locals gathered outside waiting to get in. If you do visit here you need to be able to speak some Italian to understand what is going on! We gathered you had to take a ticket to wait for one of the maybe 8 tables inside or you could order and take it away, we chose to do the latter as it seemed more simple. We still waited for around 20minutes and excitedly took our pizza down the street to sample what we expected to be the best pizza ever. It wasn't The sauce was watery and the base burnt in places. The mozzerella was outstanding but that is all the praise I can give I'm afraid. Majorly disappointed!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We queued for around 45 minutes, we were sat at a table with another couple space is pretty limited in there! There are only two choices: Marinara or Margherita. For me as a pizza fanatic, these were the best pizzas I've eaten anywhere without exception. (I have also thoroughly enjoyed New York Pizza, but for me, it's pipped by a small margin by Antica Pizza Da Michele ) A Naples landmark that you'll definitely remember!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

It looks like an institution in Napoli. There was a big queue, but we didn't mind waiting. There is not a big choices of pizzas but it is cheap and the drink are cheap. They don't speak English but we were seated at the same table than some solicitors that helps us where to go in Naples. We had a conversation with the real people of Napoli. The pizzas were great, fresh.