“God awful place”

Ranked #46 of 186 Hotels in Naples
London
“God awful place”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

There is nothing right about this hotel. The size, the location, anything. We were sent there by Easyjet because our flight was overbooked.
14 floors up, a view of concrete & desolate Naples!
I love Naples but this is no way to see it.
Soulless, tasteless, dull

• Stayed July 2012
GMManager, Direttore at Holiday Inn Naples, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear LondonMother,

Thank you for the time you spent in trying to describe our Hotel.
It would be very helpful for us, and for the tripadvisor readers, to learn more about your disappointment.
I would be grateful if you could provide us details of your experience so that we could improve our service. Unfortunately there is not much we can do about “size” and “location” but we would be more than happy to look at things that went wrong during your stay and to fix them.
I understand that being booked in any Hotel due to a flight overbooking must be really frustrating and I’m sorry you couldn’t reach your destination as scheduled.

I hope to see you again at the Holiday Inn Naples. I’m sure that coming under other circumstances will surely improve your experience.

Thanks again & best regards

Bruno De Caria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Worthington, Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This Holiday Inn was a better than the average hotel in a city that is so depressed. Very clean and close to the airport,this Holiday Inn offered a wonderful restaurant on the premesis. Food choices were plentiful and the luncheon buffet was very fresh and well maintained It is in a business district with not much around it other than a few small cafe's and that closed early.
The air conditioning issue I think is more of a matter of energy conservation. When you're in your room with your keycard in the slot, the air functions very well. When you leave your room and remove the key card, the air is off. If you're gone for any legnth of time, the room becomes quite warm but upon your return seems to cool down in an acceptable amount of time. Shuttle that is provided is very nice and runs about every hour. Warning... if you have an early AM flight the shuttle does not start until 8 or 9 AM so be prepared to reserve a taxi. Room information stated coffee and tea in every room however that is not the case. Satff was very cordial and professional.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear 53Susie,

thank you for sharing the experience you had in our Hotel.
I’m happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and glad to hear words of appreciation towards our staff. It is not very common for the majority of the guests to leave comments on how nice and professional our staff is and it is really a pity because they always do their best to make guests feel comfortable during their stay.
As you correctly highlighted, the air conditioning system is activated with your room key card and it has been developed as part of the green engagement program. However, if guests prefer to leave the air conditioning on they can ask reception for 2 keys and place one in the slot even if they are out of the room.
I took note of the things that were not at the usual standard level and I’ll personally check with the relevant departments.

Thanks again for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The only reason we stayed here is because it is one of the closest hotels to the airport (about 5-10 minutes by taxi).

The location of the hotel is in a business district, so if you are there for business, this is perfect. If you are holidaying, probably not the best place to stay unless you have an early morning flight.

We got into Naples in the late afternoon. Check-in was fine. The staff member was friendly and curtious.

The hotel itself is quite nice. I think it has been really recently renovated and looked quite modern. We had a room on the 11th floor and it was quite spacious and modern as well. The beds were quite comfortable, however this did not equate to a good nights sleep and the air conditioning system is not the best. We put it on the highest setting possible and the temperature only got to a comfortable level by the morning. A tad late for a comfortable night's sleep! I think the issue is that the air conditioning doesn't work unless the access card is in the slot to provide power to the room. This means that the room is hot from the day (especially if no one has stayed in the room) and when you arrive on a hot day, the room is not pleasant.

Another problem we encountered was finding a place to eat at this time. The restaurant at the hotel doesn't open until 7.30pm and the trattoria across the way didn't open until 8pm. As it is a business district, most of the eateries are a cafes and were closing at around 6pm when we were trying to look for a place for an early dinner. We were fortunate enough to find a snack bar still open where we could get some crisps and a drink. If there was a grocery store near by, we couldn't find it!

On a positive note, our restaurant experience was quite good. We decided to go with the buffet and were pleasantly surprised at the freshness and quality (bearing in mind we did get there when the restuarant opened).

The taxi to the airport was quite a rip off - 20 euros for 2 people for a 5 minute drive... Outrageous.

I would recommend this hotel to business travellers or people who have an early flight from Naples.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gobees
Dear Gobees,

thank you for the time you dedicated to share your experience at the Holiday Inn Naples.

I’m glad to read that you found your stay generally good. I’m sorry to learn instead about the air conditioning issue. As you highlighted in your comments the system is activated with the room key card. This is part the green engagement and energy system program we adhere to. However, I do apologize for the discomfort because during such hot temperature we should anticipate and activate the air conditioning prior to guests arrival. I will look into this matter and share the issue with my team.

As you mentioned, our Hotel is located in the newest business area of Naples. I agree with you that at night there is not much open, but during the day people can enjoy some shopping in nice and good value shops and have nice snacks or pizza in many places.

We have a lot of Guests coming not only for business and they easily reach the city center by using our free shuttle bus that runs frequently to/from downtown, railway station and airport. The bus schedule is available at the reception.

Last, but not least, I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the food in our restaurant, that is the flagship of our Hotel not only for dinner but also at lunch time.

Thanks again for your kind words and I hope to see you again at the Holiday Inn Naples.

Yours sincerely,

Naples, Italy
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Today is Jun 25, 2012, I checked into the Holiday Inn, Naples about seven hours ago. The parking attendent and front desk staff have been very friendly. The room is nice and clean, however the reviews about the AC are correct. There are three settings and I'm not really sure which one is working right now so I turned it off. The complaints I have so far are about the ironing board and iron. I called down to the front desk to get one and I was told they were all gone for today and I should try again tomorrow morning. Being that this is a four star hotel I would expect they have enough supplies for every room. In addition, I was reading through the guest services on tv and it states that EVERY room comes with a tea and coffee station with complimentary teas. I also informed the front desk that my room did not have it and was told that it was only available for the executive suites. All well and good but maybe that should be reflected on the guest services menu. My room is 100 Euro a night and I also have to pay for the internet. 3 days for 20 Euro. I have a few days left at the hotel so I will try to give real time updates. Hopefully it helps.

Room Tip: If you want tea and coffee get an executive room. No matter what is advertised, it is not available...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear MsRoss983

It has been a pleasure to meet you during your stay and share your comments directly with you.

I apologize once more for what didn’t work as usual and as I told you I looked into the matters personally and I took the relative corrective actions.

I look forward to seeing you again in our Hotel

Best regards

Long Beach, California
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Air conditioning does not work well, I prefer about 72 degrees. They told us we were getting 2 king beds but we got two twin beds. This hotel is a good value if you are just staying briefly in Naples and leaving for the airport the next day. I am very fussy and I found this hotel to be acceptable enough for short stay. Taxi driver to airport asked for 25 Euros and it should have been only 20, make sure in advance what they will charge. We found taxi drivers all over Italy to be of questionalbe integrity. Make sure they have a meter before you get in the car. That will help somewhat. Also, beware of "taxi drivers" that run up to you at train stations or airports and offer you a ride. If they are not in the taxi line, with a taxi sign and meter, they are not legitimate and will gouge you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jo Anne M
Dear Jo Anne M,

Thanks for taking your time to write about your experience.

I’m sorry that the air conditioning didn’t reach the temperature of your liking.
Concerning the beds, all our twin rooms have two double beds and not twin beds.
I’m happy to read that you found that our Hotel is good value for money which means that in many cases we met your expectations.

I’d like to add to your comments, that our Hotel is convenient also for people staying more nights. Thanks to our free shuttle bus, the center of the city can be reached in 15/20 minutes.

Thanks again for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Best regards

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed here overnight with my husband as a brief stop on our way to Rome from Sorrento. The rooms are clean and a good size. The staff are also very nice and helpful.

Our biggest complaint was the "air condition" which will maybe cool the room to 75 degrees Fahrenheit if that. There are three settings on the "AC" which are high, medium or low with a picture of a fan. You do not have any control over the temperature of your room. It was hot and difficult to sleep as both my husband I prefer that it is cooler at night.

Also, be aware this is a business hotel. It is close to the airport and was about 20 euros by taxi one way. There are a few decent restaurants to choose from right next to the hotel during the day. However, all but one of the restaurants will close by 4pm. The hotel itself has a restaurant on the premise, but you will be paying 15 euro for a deli sandwich.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
GMManager, Direttore at Holiday Inn Naples, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear Lindsay G

Thank you for sharing in Tripadvisor your experience at the Holiday Inn Naples.
I’m sorry to learn that the air conditioning didn’t work properly. Temporary malfunctioning may happen anywhere, and contacting the Reception they can be easily fixed. With a simple call you could have a wonderful night. Our system allows the Guests to have warn or cold air at pleasure, with no regards to the season.
It’s a pity you spent 20 euros for the taxi, since our free shuttle bus runs 9 times a day from/to airport excluding Sundays and bank holidays. It goes also to the railway station and to the center of the city. Timetable available at the reception. Who needs the service arriving at the airport, can call the hotel to know the schedule.
Talking about the Restaurant, it is highly appreciated by our Guests. The Deli Sandwich costs 14 euros and comes with delicious and plentiful sides. In our restaurant “Bistrot Victor” you can taste the best of the Neapolitan cuisine, at a very reasonable price, considering that we are a 4 star Hotel.
I hope you will have a future opportunity to stay at the Holiday Inn Naples, and for more than a brief stop. It will be an opportunity to enjoy our services and visit our fantastic city.
Best regards.

GM
Naples, Italy
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Stayed at Holiday Inn, Naples in May 2012.
Check-in: very poor and unfriendly service.
Shuttle transport: we got taken into the Old City at the scheduled time, but waited 20 minutes for the return shuttle which never turned up.
Room Service: Called for room service 3 times and got no answer (at 10pm), ended up going through reception to get a kettle and tea bags sent up - but they wouldn't do it (there are no tea/coffee facilities or any other amenities in the room); asked for a cup of tea but the reply was: a cup of tea costs 3 euros, plus an extra 5 euros surcharge for any room service!
The hotel is in an industrial wasteland. Cheap rooms, but very poor customer service and not recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pete A
GMManager, Direttore at Holiday Inn Naples, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear Pete A,

Thank you for the information provided regarding your stay in our Hotel.
For some of the problems is quite hard for us to find out what may have happened, since we don’t have enough details to help us investigate in depth.
We usually ask Guests to share with us any issues while still at the Hotel so that we can have the opportunity to find immediately a solution and Guests can then share with all readers the kind of service we have provided.
I checked what you mentioned and honestly, since we usually don’t have so many issues, it is difficult to track the problems down.
Your opinion has been helpful anyway as we are also checking with other Guests their impression about our service and we had the confirmation that is more than satisfactory. What happened to you, although difficult to verify, is certainly occasional.
With regards to the location, I wish to inform Tripadvisor readers, that we are in the newest business area of Naples and our Hotel is one of the skyscrapers of this area, with a beautiful view of the Vesuvio. Thanks to our free shuttle bus, the railway station, city center and international airport can be easily reached (timetable available at the reception).
Our rooms have all comforts as contemplated by the Holiday Inn standards and are not really considered so cheap.
Thank you again for the time you dedicated to us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
With kind regards,

GM

Travelers are raving about these Naples hotels