“Great location, Trendy & modern hotel”

Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo
Ranked #23 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights at this hotel using it as a base while travelling to Pompeii and through Naples. The hotel lobby is very grande and well maintained. The room was a good size and the bathroom was large and very clean. The biggest drawback was the tub, which actually came up to my knees making it difficulty to climb in and out. The top 2 floors of the hotel have amazing views. You can very clearly see Mt. Vesuvius, the coast, and most of Naples from here. The top floor hosts breakfast and the 10th floor has the jacuzzi. The hotel staff was friendly and kind.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
2  Thank ddsnj

Reviewed May 23, 2012

We have just spent a week there and, other than sore feet from so much walking, have returned home richer in knowledge but a lot poorer in money! Naples is an expensive city!
Hotel was nice but totally soulless. We asked for an early check in ( our flight arrived at 9.30 and we were in the hotel by 11am. No luck. We kicked around for over three hours until our (upgraded) room was ready. (Website says check in 1pm; hotel says 2pm!)
Breakfasts wonderful, but don't bother with the restaurant for evening meals....overpriced and not at all friendly. We soon found small pizza places with better food and very welcoming.
Disappointed that the only place in the hotel for sunning was a small rooftop area with a small jacuzzi ...which was totally cold and , despite pressing all the right buttons, never warmed up throughout the week.
For getting round Naples, buy daily tickets ( from tabacs or roadside machines) for 1.20 euros which you can use on any of the Naples integrated transport network - Metro, buses, trams, etc, over a 90 minute period. Weekends buy an all-day ticket for two people for 3.60 euros. Fantastic value. Taxis are expensive and only fools would try and self-drive in Naples. It is terrifying!! We used buses which were crammed full of happy Italians who were only too happy to tell us when and where to alight.. just watch your purses/wallets -easy pickings... and even the Italians warned us of that too!
If you are young or over 65 and from the EU, most of the museums give you free entry. Just take proof of age with you. Often reduced rates for anyone from any country who is under 18 or over 65, so ask! Tourist information centre tucked away on the outside of the Galleria Umberto - they have a lovely free guide to the area and are very helpful.
If you want to explore Naples, the going is hard. Cobbles everywhere and thousands of marble steps to climb.... so be warned and take sensible, comfortable shoes - which I didn't!

Room Tip: Request a room with a harbour view. which is lovely and constantly interesting.
Reviewed May 19, 2012

After reading other reviews, this hotel must really differ in room size and experience. We paid less than 150 Euro for room and breakfast; and all was very good. The front desk staff were pleasant, but not overly helpful. We didn't really know our way around Naples, but walked everywhere and the location seemed great. A quick walk to the ferry after a great breakfast, made for a very nice stay.
We enjoyed it !

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Located right in the heart of Naples the hotel is a reasonable walk to all of the main sites, contrary to some reviews we did not regard the area around the hotel as unsafe. Unemployment is high in Italy right now and there are young men hanging out on scooters throughout Naples, but we never felt as if anyone regarded us with any ill intent (even at night). View from the hotel's roof-top breakfast area is excellent. Breakfast staff was helpful if you asked for something, my wife needs gluten-free food and the staff was accomodating, the selection is fairly typical for italy, cold cuts (which I love for breakfast) cheesy scrambled eggs (meh) and fresh fruit and cereals. The room was decent sized and had all of the amenities one would expect in a modern hotel (except irons in the room which are not allowed in Italy). Front desk staff were friendly and efficient. My wife was a little skeptical about staying in an American hotel in Italy (felt it wouldn't be authentic), but in the end she agreed that it was a great place from which to explore Naples.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Douglas T
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I booked this hotel through my Marriott points (I have gold status and 99 percent of the time get upgraded ... But did not happen in this hotel). The room was super small, the bed was very bouncy (light sleepers beware if you are traveling with your partner!) and the bathroom super small and was a joke. The location was great, internet was free, rest nothing worth saying as the staff was simply average. I love Marriott hotels and never have a bad experience with them, this was my first time that I'm forced to write this. Definitely not worth the money.

1  Thank 315justin
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My wife & I stayed here for one night after arriving in Naples around 1 AM with no reservations. We decided this was not a place we wanted to drive around all night looking for a hotel, so we had our not so trusty GPS direct us to the downtown area. After visiting about 3 full hotels, we came across this hotel. The walk in rate we were given was very high in my opinion, but at this point we were willing to pay about anything.

Upon arriving in the room, we were thrilled. There was a very nice balcony, though the aroma on the balcony was not the best (I don't blame that on the hotel). The room itself was very nice and very clean. The bathroom was equally nice, with hot water & high pressure in the shower.

Aside from the price, I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It is in a somewhat safe area, which from what I saw is about the best you will do in Naples. I suspect prices are lower if booked ahead of time or online.

One thing I will say is that I did not particularly appreciate coming across the Mormon bible in the beside table drawer, but I will give the hotel the benefit of the doubt and assume that was left by a previous guest, not the hotel.

1  Thank Evancity
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We enjoyed 2 nights at this wonderful hotel. The view from the roof-top restaurant and balcony are perfect for pictures! Friendly, knowledgable staff!!

Room Tip: Ask for room on a higher floor overlooking Mt. Vesuvius.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family