“Caravaggio & Gentileschi!”

$27.32*
Naples City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
Ranked #33 of 502 things to do in Naples
More attraction details
Owner description: This 18th-century museum houses magnificent collections from such renowned artists as Masaccio, Titian, Raphael, El Greco and Bruegel, including the immense Farnese collection.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Caravaggio & Gentileschi!”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

The second floor of the museum is closed for renovation. There are scheduled guided tours that allow you to see the Caravaggio but not the Gentileschi. Disappointed about missing her work. If you go on a tour, take time in the rooms you pass through on the way to the Caravaggio--some amazing work, including a Bruegel, Peter, the Elder.
Wish I'd had more time to explore the beautiful park and people-watch the Neopolitans playing pick-up soccer, having picnics, playing with their toddlers. Also wished I'd seen the ceramic museum and observatory. Next time, I'll spend a full day there.

Visited August 2014

150 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 172 helpful votes
“One of the Best”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We first visited the Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte in 2012, but we were unable to see everything we wanted to see, so we visited again in 2014. The museum is uncrowded and displays extraordinary works from the Farnese and Borbone collections, paintings coming from Neapolitan churches including two Caravaggios, and innumerable lesser works. It’s wonderful to be able to wander through such fabulous art at your own pace; it’s an experience you can’t find anymore. We still haven’t seen everything we want to see. We’ve very much enjoyed our two visits to the the Capodimonte Museum, so we plan to see it again the next time we’re in Naples.

We rented their audioguides in 2014 for 5€ each. The audioguides were worth every euro and were very helpful in explaining many of the works, but they were nowhere as all-inclusive as we’d like them to be. There are still many, too-many extraordinary works that are not explained at all. I’d be happy to pay more for a more complete audioguide. The artwork is that good. Don’t miss it.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Paolo-Chris
Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Heaven”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Couldn't believe I was standing in front of Caravaggio's etc. and I was virtually the only person there. Heavenly building housing some of the world's finest artworks, only a short ride from the centre of Naples. No crowds, no bustling to see a painting in its full delight, just gorgeous.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank 389Christian
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Great museum, palace and park”
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Originally put off by it's location, I was glad to have made the effort to visit it.

As per my travel guide's suggestion I paid the additional €5 for the audioguide, as at the peak of summer I didn't want to spend all day inside the large museum. Note when we visited, the third floor contemporary art exhibitions were only opened at a set time that day so I'm sure other visitors that came earlier/later in the day would have been sorry to miss it. Although warhol's vessuvias wasn't on show when we went sadly. It also seemed like a number of the rooms were also closed.

As with other attractions in napoli it was difficult to find other parts of the exhibition, e.g. print and drawings room. Although some of this confusion may have been caused because of exhibits being closed perhaps?

This didn't matter too much as taking in the gardens is a highlight of the attraction and not to be missed.

Several buses run from piazza garibaldi to the museum and taxis from the piazza would cost roughly €20-25. However, the napoli sightseeing bus runs past it so it may be worth visiting it on a day when you take that tour.

1 Thank Michelle M
New York City, New York
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Right up there with the Louvre, Prado, Met.”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I must admit I was embarrassed having never been to Naples' Museo di Capodimonte. I consider myself a museum junky. What an incredible place and pleasure. It has some of the best art on the planet and I felt it was the best museum I have ever been to. The reasons are plentiful. It is located in an actual palace, so the rooms are ornate and have architecturally pleasing proportions. The art work is carefully placed on the walls so that it never overwhelms or tires the eye. Benches in the middle of each room allow for rest and contemplation. One of the most incredible experiences is the placement of each room with the doorway in exactly the same place so you head straight for Carivaggio's Flagellation of Christ. The effect is overwhelming as you get closer and closer to it. I found the museum and the lovely park which surrounds it to be very calming, allowing for the beauty and emotional impact of the art to truly sink into my soul. A must see!!!

Visited May 2014