“A hurried visit to the Capodimonte Museum.”

Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte
$27.55*
Naples City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
Ranked #37 of 813 things to do in Naples
More attraction details
Owner description: This 18th-century museum houses magnificent collections from such renowned artists as Masaccio, Titian, Raphael, El Greco and Bruegel, including the immense Farnese collection.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Make sure to get good directions to reach the Museum at the top of the hill. I took bus C40 from Garibaldi square. It took a long time because of the traffic. It is hidden behind suburban housing; a good testimony to the chaotic urban planning in Southern Italy.
This huge museum, housed in an 18th century Bourbon Palace, cannot be fully visited in one go. I concentrated on the first floor of the new wing.
I was overwhelmed by the furniture made of exquisite wood and marble, and then a large cash of 19th century natural paintings.
In a special room there were four pictures from the East. 1- A number of bare chested dancers entertaining the “Pasha” in the Harem; a picture of girls serving a drink to an executioner after he finished his job, while two soldiers drag the body of the victim away; a picture from possibly Algeria of a family resting on a roof; and a picture of Cleopatra doing her make up by Vincenzo Marielli (1820-92).
Due to time constraint, I ran through the second floor which has a large number of 16th and 17th century religious motives from the Varnese collection. Most of the classical painters are there. At the entrance there is a nice portrait for Napoleon Bonaparte, as emperor, by François Gerard (1770-1839).
If you have time, try to view the beautiful garden with royal Palm trees.
I recommend this museum highly. Schedule at least three hours in addition to two hours for the traffic on weekdays.
The museum map is hopeless. Try to read on the Museum collection before you go.
Entrance 7.50 Euros, reduced price of 4 Euros for seniors from the EU!

2  Thank Mussafer

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We were going to walk here - thankfully we took a taxi instead. It's up an enormous windy hill and would have taken forever although it looks like a short distance on a map. The taxi fare from the Santa Lucia (bay front) area was 10 euros which was agreed to up front before I got in the cab.
Hard to believe this place was constructed as a hunting lodge for one of the Bonapartes - some hunting lodge! See the room made all out of porcelain - I had to keep going back to it as I couldn't believe my eyes.
The Caravaggio 'Flagellation of Christ' deserves its pride of place at the end of a long, long corridor. We didn't rent the audio guide but wished we had - the art is stupendous and I'm sure we walked past really interesting stuff.
The bummer was the modern art section was closed. I really wanted to see Andy Warhol's Vesuvius. Oh well - there was an imitation in Café Gambrinus so that had to substitute, lol!
The parkland surrounding is magnificent and if you have the energy, go for a walk around.

1  Thank KathyW201
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This is my number one for attractions in Naples. The best paintings of the Neopolitan Baroque are found here. For someone who likes the visual arts this is the first must-see. The close second is the archaeological museum. The paintings here are the best preserved and illuminated. Sadly, many of the paintings throughout Naples are in poor repair--darkened and lighted inadequately.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

After our leisurely lunch we visited the Capodimonte museum. I was expecting to see ceramics but instead we saw paintings lining the walls of the lovely and ginormous museum. We kept setting off the alarms, even our guide set them off, and the place was so large I wished I had a Segway to maneuver the great hall after hall. I realized we were all exhausted from traveling and touring 4 days in a row, and all I could think about was the sea day that I so badly needed! We all wanted to get back to the ship early, desperate for sleep and a hot shower. I rarely poop out while traveling, thankfully we didn't have far to go.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

If one likes Caravaggio, one should visit this museum - one of the best works of this painter (the Flagellation) is on show here. Ans some other highlights of art history too.