“Great experience”

Half-Day Trip to Mt. Vesuvius from Naples
Ranked #68 of 837 things to do in Naples
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The only active volcano on the mainland of Europe, Mount Vesuvius is famous for the calamitous eruption in 79AD, which buried the towns of Herculaneum and Pompeii.
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We took the local bus service from Pompei which was much cheaper than the tour buses which ended up in the same car park at Mt Vesuvius. From there you pay a fee to go up the path. Walking sticks were available for a donation when we were there. Felt the local bus a good option as we could spend as long as we wanted on the climb up and time at the top. It is a pretty steep climb but manageable and well worth the effort. Path is gravel and easy to slide on so the walking sticks are useful. Once at the top the path goes around the crater and its a wonderful sight and the views over Naples are spectacular. Very enjoyable visit.

7  Thank agr54
Write a ReviewReviews (6,341)
All reviews
in 52 reviews
"views are amazing"
in 62 reviews

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I went to the summit of Mount Vesuvius,more as a pilgrimage than anything else.My father was here in 1944,as part of the invading armies,and there had been a minor eruption at that time.
You can get to the summit by train initially,then taxi,then you have to walk the last few hundred metres to the top.The view is spectacular,the immediate surroundings somewhat grim.there was a smell of sulphur the day I was there,and it's a strange feeling looking down into the crater.
Almost unbelievably,there are houses built on the slopes of the volcano! If it goes up again,(and it's overdue!),ten million inhabitants will have to be to be evacuated from the area.
Worth a visit,the most active volcano in Europe.Loved it,but maybe for different reasons to most people,as explained above.

2  Thank ClouddancerNewport
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The walk is long and hard, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Take plenty of water, and don't expect much from the souvenir stands. But that view, and the chance to look down into the smoking, shifting crater... it's unforgettable.

8  Thank Liz E
Reviewed January 20, 2013

When we were climbing at Vesuvius we felt as if we were moving longways the back of enormous animal, which is drawing breathe and can begin to move slowly. It is very strong and extraordinary impression.

6  Thank Ekaterina B
See more reviews
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I knew that Vesuvius is close to Naples, but nothing brought it home more than going out on the deck of the cruise ship, turning a corner and seeing it there with the sun peeping over the slopes. Really pretty, but really scary when one thinks of the potential results of a big pyroclastic flow.

This was part of a shore excursion, so I didn't drive or have to make arrangements, so I cannot comment on difficulties getting to the volcano. I can say that from the vantage point of a tour bus, once you're off the highway the road is fairly narrow, fairly steep and has a number of hairpin turns. And that Italian drivers seem to have no natural fear--if I were driving a Fiat, I wouldn't want to come face-to-face with a big tour bus on that road.

The parking lot at the base of the volcano has a number of merchants selling tourist stuff as well as a bunch of porta-potties, which is all the bathroom there appears to be. From there it's a walk up to the second staging area where there are guides specifically for the volcano (and a souvenir shop).

The road up to the staging area is uncompacted gravel. It's steep and the footing is not the greatest. The landscape is kind of lunar--lots of rock and dirt with a fair bit of erosion and the occasional flower or lichen.

I did it in walking sneakers: definitely not a walk for anything flimsier. The climb is doable, I think, for anyone who is used to walking and who paces themselves. Bring water, especially if you are doing it in any kind of heat. It wasn't so much of an issue when we went up because it was cool and misty. Speaking of which, you may want to bring a jacket or sweater so that you can layer, because the temperature difference between Naples and the top of Vesuvius is noticeable.

After another, shorter climb, you will come to the crater, and a little further along, another souvenir shop (I actually don't mind this, but then, tourist kitsch amuses me). Just beyond the souvenir shop you can see a couple of fumaroles. It is hard to express the sheer awe of staring into the crater of an active (if dormant) volcano and seeing the steam rising from the ground from the sheer heat that underlies the area.

Unfortunately, we couldn't see anything of the Bay of Naples because of the clouds. I imagine, based on the sights we saw from the bus on the way back down, that the view from the top when the sky is clear would be awesome.

It's also unfortunate that there's a fair amount of litter. I don't know why it is that people feel that when they're away from home they can litter with impunity. If you carry it in, then carry it back out--it may not be your part of the world but if you wouldn't throw it on your lawn, why throw it on some else's?

Finally, on the way up, I passed by a couple of gentlemen with a bunch of sticks that can be used to help climb. I understand that a tip is expected when one turns the sticks back in on the way down. I had absolutely no problem flipping them a couple of Euro, since at a couple of points I'm pretty sure that the stick was all that kept me from bodysurfing down a volcano...

8  Thank WildCanadian