Eurostars Hotel Excelsior
$423
$411
  • Pool
1,311 results
All reviewsbay of naplesrooftop restaurantbeautiful hotelmarble bathroommount vesuviusoverlooking the baytop flooregg castlefront desk staffturn down serviceclassic hotelhigh ceilingscakesroom was largepizzapastrysea front
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We originally planned to stay 3 nights here, but returned for 3 more after cutting a side trip to Sorrento short. The hotel is very quiet, in both decor and noise levels. We had a lovely terrace overlooking the harbor, the Castel and Vesuvius. The sheets are linen, something I've never seen in a hotel before. The breakfast is served in a lovely room which adjoins an even lovelier roof top terrace. Breakfast is great. We had a fantastic lunch at the hotel restaurant, La Terrazza also. The bartender downstairs was very nice, but we preferred the cozier bar down the street at the Vesuvius hotel. Across the street is a huge selection of casual restaurants. We mostly ate at La Scialuppa which I thought had better pizza than some of the more famous places like Sorbillo. We also ate at Fresco, a few blocks away, and Antonio&Antonio, also a couple blocks away. Infante Gelateria on Via Toledo was the best! All these restaurants appeared to be frequented by non-English speaking customers. A taxi stand is a block away, and you can contract with the taxi drivers for an excursion like Pompeii much more economically than with your hotel (if you don't want to deal with trains and buses). The front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful. Good minibar.
Naples was very enjoyable, good art, good food, nice walkable city. We did not have any problems with crime. The Capodimonte museum has some great paintings. Good shopping district west of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a terrace. Some of the other rooms might be a bit larger, but it is nice to be able to sit outside.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank mrsmaxernst
Reviewed January 28, 2012

My husband and I selected to stay at the Hotel Excelsior after watching "Journey in Italy/Viaggio in Italia" a film about Naples in which the main characters stayed at the Hotel Excelsior. To our delight we found the hotel still in operation and we would have been very happy even if the Hotel Excelsior was just a faded version of its former grand self (the location and views are glorious) but Hotel Excelsior's charming and efficient staff, memorable food (I still daydream about eating the freshly made orange marmalade and pear and basil mamalade from the buffet breakfast on the rooftop with its breathtaking views), and beautiful rooms provided us with all the charm and attention to detail of a bygone era with up-to-date efficiency of a busy present.

The bed was huge and soft, I think the mattress had a down pillow top on it (I didn't look but that's what it felt like) and the sheets were linen - as if some Italian nonna had made them especially for us! The feeling of luxurious comfort and deep relaxation each time I got into this bed - is something I will never forget and which I know money can't necessarily buy elsewhere.

Coming back to our rooms after a day of exploring we would find our rooms immaculately cleaned with little sheets of gold embossed linen at each side of our bed on the floor for us to step onto when getting into and out of bed - how thoughful and beautiful.

I've noted other reviewers comment on the moments of noisy plumbing. It's not that bad and there is so much to enjoy to even notice it really.

While watching TV is not a main activity while on holidays, for those times when you're in your room getting ready for the next day etc. we really apperciated Hotel Excelsior providing a classics cinema channel .

I could go on and on with more details - being gently woken each morning by the tinkling of the fountain outside the hotel in the quiet of the early morning; the curtains which make the room absolutely pitch black even while the sun shines brightly right into the window each morning: I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. Staying in this hotel made our time in Naples extraordinarily lovely.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Francesca L
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Excelsior Naples, is the greatest!! Staff and service consistantly above expectations. Tireless customer service, excellent professionalism by all. Resturant staff, Mario, Lisa and Paolo make the trip. The desk staff, Oriana, Cluadia, and Valentino, superb. Mr Rithcie and his hotel are commended...Thank you for always making my stay extremely pleasant - would recommend to anyone - business or plesure. Grande..mi piace davvero!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike T
Reviewed January 27, 2012

The absolute best front desk staff, the greatest food staff, largest rooms, I stay there all the time; you should too!

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to an ocean front view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DrAlJensen
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Excelsior a few months ago on business, about 2 weeks. This hotel is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. The rooms are high-ceilinged with traditional decor and the beds are nice and soft. The bathrooms are fantastic and everything in the rooms is spotless. The staff is very friendly and the breakfast provides a great selection with a rooftop dining room that overlooks the bay. I thoroughly enjoyed my time here.

Luxury is never cheap however, and that holds doubly true on the waterfront. Expect to pay well in excess of 200USD per night, and the internet is around 30 Euro extra for a week. However, this hotel is as nice as any I've stayed in on my many business trips and if you feel like treating yourself, you definitely will not be disappointed.

If you take a very short walk around the corner, there are some little convenience kiosks as well as nice restaurants. So if you get in late or don't feel like making an outing, you are right next to some very enjoyable and affordable dining. Expect a hefty amount of traffic on this street (Via Partenope) though, so auto noise is unavoidable, as well as some fireworks at night, especially on weekend evenings. Still though, you won't be unduly inconvenienced. A whole host of restaurants, clubs and bars is a 10 minute walk down the street in either direction, so you'll be right in the center of things.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bay, the view is great.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business