“Pool is expensive”

Grand Hotel Vesuvio
Ranked #7 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Be careful to read the fine print here if you think you will be getting a pool / spa included in the price. The pool will cost you $15 euro, and the spa / sauna will cost a separate $15 euro. If you want them both, it will cost you $25 euro. We bit the bullet and did both, it was fairly nice, however the spa pool temperature was not that hot and they were not able to increase it.

Also note that the restaurant on the top level is closed on Mondays (this happened to be the day we wanted to go up), and also likely to be very expensive.

Wifi will also cost you $3 euro for 30 minutes so don't expect this to be free either (unlike most hostels).

The area is also in a strip of restaurants, but nothing else is there and quite a stretch from the "real naples". You need to get a $10-$12 euro taxi to get to the hotel from the main station as there is no public transport in walking distance.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,520)

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have stayed at the Grand Hotel (Albergo) Vesuvio twice and both times were wonderful. It has a fairly central location within easy walking distance to many of the local sites. And I walked everywhere! Castles, palaces, shopping, the marina....you name it and I walked there.

The first time I was traveling with my husband and we selected a seaview junior suite. It was very spacious with a sitting area, separate bathroom and a large bathroom. This time I was traveling on my own so I chose the less expensive seaview king room which had more than enough space. The room, #430, was located in the center of the hotel with breathtaking views of the Bay. There was a small writing table, flat screen TV, and plenty of light. The bathroom was recently renovated, had a shower stall with no tub and a huge sink making the bathroom feel a little snug. Again, plenty of room but it just felt small. Bathroom amenities were from the hotel's spa and had a clean fragrance.

The hotel bar located just off the front reception area was a nice place for a light snack and a glass of prosecco. The breakfast room on the first floor was bright and sunny. The staff remembered my name after just the first introduction and was ready with my tea each morning. The breakfast buffet (included in my rate) was very filling. I believe it was a little pricey (30 euros) if not in your room rate so be sure to check.

Without a doubt the staff made all the difference. They pointed me to some of their favorite spots in town, introduced me to the public transport system including the funiculare up the mountain toward a spectacular view and some neighborhood eateries. They had a great deal of patience with my attempt at speaking italian and gently corrected my grammatical errors. Thank you!

The only negative, really more of a pet peeve, is that WiFi was 30 euros. I realize that is standard but it doesn't make it less aggravating. The best way around this is to join Leaders Club which gets you free internet, upgrades when available, etc.

Overall, an excellent hotel for exploring Naples.

If you are arriving from the airport the taxi fare should be about 25 euros. Don't let the cab drivers tell you different. The ones I met this case were honest but on my first trip here I was a little less, er, experienced and was overcharged.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. Floors 3 and 5 are smoking floors while 2 and 4 are non-smoking.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank brooksz
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Naples is a city you love or hate but staying at the vesuvio makes you apreciate it even more.The rooms are spacious,clean ,breakfast is very good but the highlight has to be the restaurant at the top floor with wonderful views of the bay and of course the vesuvio,not mentioning the food that is also very good.I would warn guests that the taxis right around the corner are a bunch of the most uncivil persons I met in Italy and I speak italian .Of couse this is no fault of the hotel just a cautionary note

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank jeansãopaulo
Reviewed November 6, 2012

good location,good wiew, good service, good foods
location of the hotel is very close every where( restaurants,shops, museums) walking distance, near the sea shore, servieces are perfect, breakfast was delicious, decoration of the rooms very good., all the rooms have a sea wiew, rooms were very quite

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank fusun
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is our third visit to Naples and the Hotel Grand Vesuvio so we obviously like it.
After a hectic day in the city, Pompei, Herculeneum or Pallazzo Caserta it is a joy to return to the calm and comfort of this grand hotel. Located near the restaurants of Santa Lucia and the traffic free (at nights) Partenope it is pleasure to stroll the passegiata in the evening.
Staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are well provided with towels, facecloths etc.
The Internet works. My only criticism is that the seaview rooms a little pricey, otherwise we would go more often

Room Tip: Always choose a sea view (and it is more expensive) and if possible a large corner room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Chosen for position we were not disappointed with a wonderful view of the Castel dell'Ovo and we found this slightly ageing hotel absolutely lovely. The welcome was warm as were all the staff. It is the only restaurent where I have been visually scolded for ordering a French wine and succumbed to an Italian instead - it was terriffic and I loved the service!

Yes it is pricey, but look at the surroundings and expect no less. We had a fabulous stay

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We enjoyed the Grand Vesuvio. We were very nicely welcomed by staff who made us feel that they actually cared about our comfort (not a universal experience even in hotels of this standard). The room was very nicely appointed with a view of the Castel dell'Ovo and felt quite luxurious in a rather understated way. The bathroom, though also well appointed, was a little on the small side with only one sink. Service was excellent with a turn down service in the evening and a good buffet breakfast was served. The only thing I was a bit surprised at was we weren't asked if we had enjoyed our stay when we checked out - in fact, compared with our arrival it was all a bit peremptory. Nevertheless, I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple