“colourfull streets”

and up
Ancient Heart of Naples Walking Tour with Street Food Tastings
Ranked #15 of 502 things to do in Naples
More attraction details
Owner description: This part of Naples is full of crowded, colorful alleys full of shops, plastic rosaries, fresh seafood and famous artisan workshops specializing in the city's famous nativity scenes. The street officially starts at Piazza Gesù Nuovo
haifa
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“colourfull streets”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

just few minutes from the naples new center you arrive to the old area. lots of narrow streets, full of goods and pasta shops. hand made objects, made of cork and limoncelo shops. great flavour and smell, joy to your eyes.

Visited November 2013

• Turkish first
Paris, France
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A taste of ancient Naples”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Don't get intimidated by the hustle-bustle of the area. It's part of the fun!
This will be a great chance for you to get acquainted with typical Neapolitan food, without having to pay what they charge in high-end places. Not to mention that just browsing there is a unique experience. It's like being in a movie! I saw this scene where this old lady lowered a basket attached to a rope, the fruit vendor puts some fruits inside and she lifts the basket to get the fruit. So picturesque!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Jo K
Chicago, Illinois
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Try it”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I arrived in the morning already tired but after checking into our B & B in the Spanish quarter we trekked on over to this area. It was overwhelming. I've lived in large US cities and had been prepared for the dirtiness of the place. It was February and so light on the tourists (really I hardly noticed them at all! At times I felt we were the only ones.) I can't imagine visiting during the busy, tourist season.

Did I say it was overwhelming? It was. The streets are narrow with people, tiny stores filled with merchandise and vendors everywhere. The fish monger next to the guy selling shampoo next to the baker near the trinket merchant. We went down one street full of bridal shops. It was surreal to see shops selling religious items used in Masses. I saw a man who had carved out space to sell his wares under the steps leading up to a church. People on scooters race past you uncaring if you are in the way or not.

At a bakery we bought baba (the run-flavored sweet was dry) but the little shop we stopped in where the owner was making small clay figures was our favorite stop of the shops we saw. We bought a few items and now I wish we'd purchased more. It was great to see he actually made the items he was selling.

The streets are dirty and it feels rundown and the morose look of some of the churches contributes to it feeling overwhelming and almost depressing. The first hours I wanted to leave but some of our group were enjoying the adventure. However, as the day progressed and I grew familiar with it I appreciated it more. I watched the locals shopping for their days' dinner or hanging out as they seemed to do quite a bit. Not sure I'd feel the same when it's very busy though. I would return the same time of year.

We had no trouble with pickpockets etc but we kept a tight hand on our valuables and there were several of us keeping an eye out for each other.

Visited February 2013
Munich, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Spacca Spectaculare”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This narrow old main street cutting thorugh the whole old part of Naples is a great way to discover the uniqueness and thrill of this city - if you are open to its liveliness.

You may start in the middle at Cafe Nil in a crowded bar full of neighbours, businessmen, tourists stopping for a short exchange.

Then just walk towards Piazza Dante and look left and right to the good things and ignore the bad ones (like souvenir shops).

Find great ice cream, juicy sweets, artist cafes, quiet churches and more quiet gardens (St. Chiara), busy streetlife (it is mostly for walking which means scooters as well) and dont miss the small opera at the end in orange Mexico Cafe.

For the big opera go further into the Spanish Quarter and up the hill through real Naples life until you can see from above, how Spacca cuts like a ditch through the old substance of this city. Magic!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank SebastianDickhaut
Lake Charles, Louisiana
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Very busy with most shops selling the same thing”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This area was very busy. As I first started walking down, the stuff looked cool but then most shops had the same thing over and over... Could not wait to be done with it!!

Visited January 2014