All reviewscommon roomfree pastathree flights of stairsbest pizzaheavy luggageon arrivaloutdoor terracewashing machinea great stayvisiting naplestrain stationhostelgiovanimapcitynapolipompeii
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This is a very unique hostel in the heart of Napoli. From the day you arrive to the day you leave Giovanni gives you special attention, He is the only staff but he is always there! Sometimes he cooks for everybody and he also sings and play the guittar and the harmonica, He is a real entertainer. The hostel has everything you need.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have to say this is one really special hostel, it's actually Giovanni's appartment. The first thing that struck me was when we entered Giovanni gave us a glass of cold water and believe me it really helps after walking in the sun to the hostel and going up 3 flights of stairs. After that Giovanni kindly gave us a lot of info about Naples and the surroundings, which was very helpful as we came there with a very vague plan of what we'll do. After the presentation he cooked us some pasta for lunch and the whole hostel ate together which I liked very much, especially after spending so much time on the road this was such a nice 'family' lunch. During our stay there Giovanni was really helpful and nice to us, he even made me coffee one morning when I was feeling really tired. The last day when my friend missed her bus he went to pick her up at the bus station and bought her a ticket for the metro to come back to the hostel and offered her a free stay for that night, and the next day he called us in the morning to make sure we got on the bus this time. I can just say Giovanni is a great guy and I really wish there was more people like him, I really liked the experience, however just a warning he is intrusive and if you don't like getting advice or you are really a private person or an introvert I wouldn't advise you to come here.
The hostel itself is ok, it is in a great location in the historic centre, the beds are a bit uncomfortable but managable to sleep in, there are no lockers but I felt it was safe so you shouldn't be worried about your belongings, our stuff was always on our bed or laying somewhere in the room and nothing went missing. the bathrooms are ok, there is also a great kitchen and terrace. There is just 3 rooms so it's really kinda intimate so you get to know the people you share the space with.
All in all, the hostel itself is nothing special, but Giovanni is a great host and he will make your experience unforgettable for sure and even cook you some tasty italian food.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2013

You literally arrive to the spacious apartment of somebody's home. Giovanni is the man, who lives there, caring about the place and you most of the time. He strives to have control over things, but this is done for your sake in the end. Allow him degree of that comfort, and enjoy your free ride. Napoli is astonishing, as are surroundings, if you read it right. Giovanni has many a key to the city, and they will be laid before you for your choices. Your turn.

Place itself has sense of basic simplicity, being ancient and authentic, it is more about the community, you temporary become part of, about sharing knowledge, than about privacy and sterile consuming - it is kept so by design. Smoking would be better sorted out by owner, as not everybody can bear it these days, but otherwise - bed was fine, as was shower, expense more than reasonable, and even mood for local cooking was there ready, sadly missen while conquering city's spaces till late - love to cook and sing myself, talk about food and taste it, at this place that was also possible to experience. What about next time? For me it was best option, and I am very happy, that most of the wishes actually did come true, with unexpected surprises being of a pleasing kind. Thanks, Giovanni and Napoli - see you!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank begedis
Reviewed October 27, 2013

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed at! Giovanni is a great host and makes sure everyone feels at home. He not only gives great travel advice, he is also a great cook and guitar player and singer. A man of many talents indeed. and he cares about people - i was travelling with another girl and he worried about our safety so much that he stayed up late at night until we were back from the outing. He made the stay at Napoli all the way different from other travelling experiences. I will remember and return to this place. A pleasure to meet Giovanni and stay at his place!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kei W
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We didn't make a booking and literally just showed up at the door. Even though he was almost full, Giovanni moved around some things and made room for us. The atmosphere in this hostel is the best we've ever been in, and the owner is hillarious.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple