All reviewscommon roomfree pastathree flights of stairsbest pizzaheavy luggageon arrivaloutdoor terracewashing machinea great stayvisiting naplestrain stationhostelgiovanimapcitynapolipompeii
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I met a few friend's at Giovanni's house for a one night stay in Italy. I decided to come last minute and Giovanni was very accommodating. His hostel was full but he set up a cot for me and allowed me to stay. I had to leave at 4am and he called a cab the night before and arranged everything. As a group of girls, Giovanni was very interested in our safety. He showed us lots of videos about how to avoid being robbed and what to do so you don't stand out. He also showed us everything we needed to know about the city. My credit card was not allowing me to take money out of an ATM so Giovanni charged my card through his hostel and gave me cash. What a great guy! I would never have been able to get around had it not been for him doing that. From his guidance, we saw everything we wanted to see in 1 day touring. He even has connections around Naples where he can get you good deals on tours and restaurants. If you're looking for a comfortable, safe, and welcoming hostel in Naples, Giovanni's is the place!

The only reason I am knocking down the location is that it is a tad bit hard to find. However, with a good map, it's definitely do-able. Also, his house is in an apartment complex on the top floor so don't bring anything too heavy. It's quite a hike to the top!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed here with my friend as we were travelling around Italy, and despite feeling terrified upon arrival in Naples, we found the hostel eventually and were completely reassured by the extremely knowledgable and friendly Maître D' = Giovanni.

A lovely man with an extremely dry sense of humour which, if you are quite timid, could be found to be offensive! (But he means no harm, I assure you!) He showed us how to make a traditional Carbonara (a recipe which I made a note of and intend to make again) and provided us with 1 hour's worth of information and maps.

A great place at night as it is fairly quiet and cool. My only quarrel would be that Giovanni smokes inside the house (in the modern Europe this is something a lot of people won't find appealing).

Having asked him approximately how many people he has met in his time as a hostel owner, he responded "About 35,000...". Put this next to his entire wall of merits, awards and certificates and you have a highly experienced, traditional Italian hostel-owner.

Certainly a place to consider if you're trying to travel on a budget, and you want a near-encycolpaedic knowledge of the city and it's history.

Room Tip: You don't really have a choice of room, and there aren't any lockers.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RogueTravellerUK
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hostel is an apartment on the third floor of an old building right in the middle of the historic centre of Naples. There is no lift. It's easy to reach all interesting places of the city. Every guest gets a key and you are free to leave and come back whenever you like.

The hostel is air conditioned. 23° C. Especially in summer it means a temperature difference of up to 15 ° C between inside and outside. However, there is a permanent smell of old smoke and used air in the apartment: The owner smokes inside. When he smokes outside he likes sitting right beside the ventilators of the AC. All windows have to be closed and all doors are to be open, which means the bad air spreads through the whole hostel.

The three bedrooms (6-8 beds) are on one side of the apartment and the four bathrooms are on the other side. The reception and the community room is in the middle, where the owner sits most of the time. So especially in the morning you have to walk through the whole hostel to reach the bathroom. If you are a person which likes a bit of privacy in the first minutes of the morning, it's quite annoying.

The kitchen is set into the corridor of the four bathrooms, which are clean. (one large bathroom, a small one and two tiny cabins with toilet and shower.) Because of the AC you are not supposed to open the bathroom windows so it is meant to be aired through the kitchen. The kitchen was basically well equipped, though there was a big table with a large mess in the middle.

There are no lockers, which causes lots of chaos in the sleeping-rooms. When I asked about the lockers the owner said without lockers it would be easier to look for bedbugs. In my room (8-beds, female) there was a large, old cupboard with old smelly cushions and some left behind clothes. And as far as I know lockers are actually a protection against bedbugs, as people then put their luggage into the lockers and not under the bed. The floor was dusty.

The community room is a cool room with a couple of tables, chairs and a large refrigerator for the guests. There is no external internet access. There is wi-fi, however the Wi-fi works properly only in the community and reception area. If you don't have mobile internet access (or if the wi-fi doesnt work) then you can't go on line. (this may be essential if you are looking for your next place to stay, let alone staying in touch with people online.)

The nicest part of the whole hostel is a large terrace, which is nice and sunny, though the ventilators of the AC make a constant noise. After about half past ten nobody is allowed on the terrace.

To sum up I felt like in prison at this place. It was cold and you had absolutly no privacy. With no internet access I was even more lost. Originally I had planned to stay for two weeks but I changed after 6 nights into another hostel in Naples. (the money of the remaining days was refunded)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank GOSPITE
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here on our travels of Italy and it was one of the most memorable places of the entire trip. Giovanni is such a wonderful man weather its waking you in the morning for ESPRESSOOOOO or cooking Beautiful food in the evening. He genuinely care for all of his guests. I would recommend this place for anyone looking for homely friendly accommodation. apartment rooms and dorms available I stayed in both but would recommend the dorms if wanting to be part of the action!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The best part of my stay at Giovanni's was definitely the guy himself. We were greeted with pasta for lunch, and he takes the time to talk us through all the sites to see around Napoli - he's clearly really passionate that we all get to see the real Naples - as well as how to get around, great places to eat (and where not to eat too!) and some travelling safety tips too.

In the evenings, there's plenty of communal space around the hostel and we met some great people. Giovanni likes to spend a bit of time with people who are there, sometimes treating us with a bottle of wine.., and he always knows where we're all going in the day - he even called up a couple of the other people we met travelling to offer to cook lunch for them, because he knew they were near by!

Would I go back? - Definitely.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends