All reviewscommon roomfree pastathree flights of stairsbest pizzaheavy luggageon arrivaloutdoor terracewashing machinea great stayvisiting naplestrain stationhostelgiovanimapcitynapolipompeii
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Giovanni is a warm-hearted hostel owner. He cares about guests and tries to help us in many ways. That made us feel like home. He explained a lot about Napoli including its history, where to visit, and what to eat in Napoli :) If you are looking for a cozy place to stay, and like to have chat with hostel owner and other guests, you should stay this hostel! I will definitely stay here again whenever I come back to Naples.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Giovanni is a lovely, welcoming man. When you arrive at his place he sits you down and gives you a brief introduction to Napoli. Where to go , must see's and a bit of history. Giovanni cooks for his guests I had 3 dinners and a few lunches. Giovanni cares for and looks after all of his guests. Great location and atmosphere!!
The nights that he cooks dinner you also learn italian songs and he plays guitar!!
If you go to Napoli make sure you stay here!!
Thanks Giovanni ill be back to visit one day :)
xox Timiny

Room Tip: there are only a few so either mixed or girl/boys room
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Timinyo
Reviewed September 8, 2011

The owner obviously puts a lot of effort into looking after his guests. I found it all a bit too intrusive though. You feel a bit uncomfortable if you don't want to engage with him but just keep to your own business. That's just a matter of personality though, I know a lot of people love being babied and coddled. My other complaint would be that the place reeked of cigarette smoke, even the blankets stank of it. Also, there was a kitchen but no one seemed to use it though because you really are living in his home, he's just put bunk beds in a couple of rooms. So you basically do have to eat out. Still, others love this place, so if you are not an independent minded traveller than go for it. Also, I have to say that a good point of this place is that people are very respectful, in total contrast to other hostels in Naples where people come screaming into the dorms drunk at 3 AM. That would not be possible at Giovanni's thank god! So if you want a calm peaceful stay then do stay with him.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank luce_del_mattino
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We recently returned from our summer backpacking trip to Europe. We stayed at several hostels as well as one hotel and even a convent. By far the place we enjoyed the most was Giovanni’s Home. We had previously gone to Cinque Terre, Rome, and Florence, but we felt like we got the most authentic Italian experience in Naples.

Giovanni really works to ensure that the people who come to his hostel have a good experience. We had heavy luggage, so the moment we arrived in Naples we called Giovanni and he got a taxi for us right away. This was so helpful, because taxis can be so expensive (we rarely used them) and Giovanni makes sure you get a fixed price. He has arranged this price with the taxi company because he didn’t like how people were getting ripped off.

As soon as we arrived Giovanni fed us delicious pasta and let us eat without worrying about paying right away or anything. Then he spent about a lot of time explaining Naples to us- everything from basic tourist information to the history of the city and its place in Italy. Giovanni, of course, asked us if it was okay if he shared this information with us, though I can’t imagine why anyone would decline his offer. He provided us with some fascinating insights I don’t think we could have discovered on our own.

Afterwards we were free to explore. Giovanni provided us with a map to assist us. On the map he marked the best place for pizza and gelato. He also gave us directions to the pier and the time of boat departures. Seriously, we felt like we were at a five star hotel talking to the concierge. Giovanni continued to be uncommonly kind and helpful to us for the entirety of our stay. My sister got really sick one day, and he did everything in his power to make sure she was comfortable. He offered to make a meal especially for her so that she would feel better after she was finally able to eat. And seriously, you can’t miss out on Giovanni’s pasta. It was some of the best food we ate in Europe. He also taught us how to prepare a delicious Caprese salad which we have since made at home.

I have to admit that we were slightly apprehensive about going to Naples, because we heard rumors that is was a little more rough around the edges than other major cities in Italy like Rome and Milan. Please do yourself a favor and don’t let these rumors stop you from enjoying all the wonders Naples have to offer. Of course it is a great starting point for visiting Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri. But it’s more than that. It is a wonderful city in itself. From the castles, to the nativity markets, to roadside terraces overlooking the pier, to the churches, to underground and all the other amazing archeological sites. Even during our stay there was a really interesting new archeological discovery. And you must do the underground tour. It is easy to get to and you get a discount for staying at the hostel.

Food: You will LOVE Gino’s pizzeria. I have to say I was really disappointed with the pizza in Florence and Rome. I was expecting it to be amazing and instead I just found it to be overpriced. The pizza in Naples is just as wonderful as you have always imagined Italian pizza to be. A singer/entertainer dropped in Gino’s while we were there, and he was a delight to watch. I honestly don’t usually tip entertainers, but I made an exception with this one. I had a little extra money on hand anyway as we could actually afford to eat in Naples unlike other cities (not that we needed to buy food with all the pasta Giovanni made for us and his other guests). Oh, and don’t even get me started on the pastries. If you are a food person, you can eat really well in Naples. And if you are young and poor, do not despair. The food is very reasonably

Naples is a wonderful city, and it is such a shame people go on long Italian vacations and leave Naples out of their itineraries. Giovanni does so much for his guests. He made sure we saw the entire city both during the day and at night. We are so grateful for this. Naples is beautiful and the people of this city are absolutely lovely. Naples was the first city in which we felt like we were at home. The people welcome you and make you feel comfortable. I will never forget sitting out on the terrace of Giovanni’s home, just eating nutella, and feeling for the first time really comfortable being in a foreign city. I have to admit, I felt almost like I myself was an Italian. It was really a great experience.
Its too bad one the reviewers here didn’t enjoy their stay at Giovanni’s. But I think it is a complete misjudgment to call him “creepy.” He is just extremely friendly, and I think his behavior simply reflects the culture of the people of this city. If you don’t meet the people you aren’t really experiencing the true culture and you are missing out.

Go to Naples!!!!! I am writing this super long review of Giovanni’s hostel because I want other people to have the wonderful experience that my sister and I had. Go discover Naples in all its chaotic beauty. I promise you will not regret it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Akryan111
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We arrived up three flights of stairs and was greeted by two glasses of water which were well needed!!! Giovanni tool his time to settle us in and to show us where everything was which was extremely helpful! He cooked us pasta and told us that everything was safe in the hostel! If it wasn't for this place we would never have enjoyed Naples so much will deffinitly go back!!!

• Stayed: June 2011