“Mario & Anna Create an Oasis near MUST SEE Centro Storico Napoli”

Bed & Breakfast Il Giardino Segreto
Ranked #190 of 666 Naples B&B and Inns
Everett, Washington
“Mario & Anna Create an Oasis near MUST SEE Centro Storico Napoli”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

When you plan your holiday in Italia, you must begin in Napoli and it must be for at least a week with Mario and Anna. WOW. Number One recommendation!! We are back home in Seattle, WA just two days after a month of touring Italy staying in pensiones and B&B's starting up North. This charming family-run B&B was hands-down the most well-equipped B&B of our entire trip, our last place we stayed and the best. The lovely flat and quiet garden were perfect; we had more than everything of what we needed-comfortable beds and a beautifully decorated room PLUS a shower that had pressure AND hot water! Breakfast was in the garden with unlimited REAL coffee we actually got to make ourselves-taught by Anna, a REAL Mamma Napolatana-in the tiny Italian percolator, but the most important feature of The Secret Garden was the heart and soul of this lovely Neapolitan family. I wanted my family to be able to see the REAL Napoli...why I fell in love with Italians and their food-especially the Neopolitans. We were offered every bit of information and assistance we needed to see the entire area. Mario, Anna and their adult son, Edgar, provide access to resources which will guarentee you see and experience the Compania region without getting lost or frustrated. Mario and Anna and their kids lived in the Netherlands for 10 years, speak Dutch, French, German and English. They understand the traveller. We happened to be smack dab in the middle of Festa San Gennaro and Il Giardino Segreto is a short walk from the Catedrale on Via Duomo. It was a good crazy. Napoli even won the football match the night before the blood of San Gennaro liquified, which made for a VERY ALIVE Napoli. As we ate amazing pizza at Lombardi's down the street from Il Giardino, "we" scored 2 goals in the game (both of Lombardi's TV's were on) and the ENTIRE city exploded around us with a swell of shouts we could FEEL in the atmosphere. Our stay was perfect. When we return, we will stay here again and we will stay longer! I have already recommended this amazing find to others. Yes, I have been dreaming of ricotta, mozzarella di bufala, pizza margherita and vino di rosso with tears in my eyes. It is almost unfair to the rest of Italy, the quality of the food in the Compania region is unmatched and as you travel north, you will experience disappointment with the pizza because Naopoli has the best in the entire universe. It was hard to leave. I am just happy to know that I get to go back and that I know the most perfect place to stay!

Room Tip: During the summer months, you MUST have A/C. Book your hotels 4-6 months out.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank VacanzainItalia2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Rome
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I went to Naples on a business trip for 10 days in May - and as a single female traveller, I wanted to find a place with a family environment. From the time, I read about Il Giardino Segreto (the Secret Garden) I was captivated. Anna and Mario were so gracious from my very first email - and I sent a lot because my plans kept changing.

The day I was due to arrive, I received a friendly call from Anna asking if I was ok with the directions and making sure that I only pay the taxi driver 8 euro to their B&B from Naples train station. From the moment I met Anna and Mario I knew I was in the right place... they treated me like family offering me a drink and showing me around their wonderful garden and labour of love apartment. I just couldn't believe such a beautiful garden existed at the back of these apartment blocks - in the heart of Naples.

I was also thrilled that they gave me one of the largest rooms over looking the Botanical Garden. The rooms are very comfortable, well maintained and you have direct access to the cooking facilities, free access to the garden, wifi and a large collection of tourist and history books.

Anna and Mario really do have an open door policy... they are happy to sit and chat - even offering me a few tips on how to cook with their home grown herbs. Naples is a very busy and sometimes chaotic City which is a "must see", with the hospitality of this B&B you will get to see the real Naples.

I highly recommend Il Giardino Segreto especially if you want to experience Naples as a local. I can’t wait until the day I return to this unique B&B and the friendliness of Naples.

Great work Anna and Mario. All your hard work has paid off.

Room Tip: The rooms over looking the Botanical Garden and rooms in the garden are wonderful.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 29, 2013

During our road trip trough Italy, we stayed in the b&b. our last minute reservation was accepted and we enjoyed a little luxury after camping for a week. Nice place, beautiful garden and close to the center. The owners are nice and speak a little Dutch. We had a pleasant stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have just stayed the nights of 23 and 24 May, which we enjoyed enormously. Mario and Anna were very flexible, and understanding of our ever changing arrangements, and also for providing breakfast well before our scheduled departure on the 25th. We didn't expect that and we were touched. There were many and kind suggestions, both culinary and cultural, which made our very short trip to Naples so memorable (the other two days we spent in Procida). We thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant, and menu which was recommended (in fact went there twice) and we tried to keep to the route Anna suggested we take in the historic quarter (diverted by Sorbillo (sp?)and a few coffees).

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Lovely place, lovely host and hostess!
They have secret garden you cannot imagine if you don't come into the house.
They seem to enjoy helping their guests.
We enjoyed really Napole food thanks to their recommemdation.
I miss the days when i stayed at the room of the Giardino Segreto with love and care

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Piracicaba, SP
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Staying at Giardino Segreto was very special and we had the best attention we could expect. A very charming place and an unforgetable hospitality. If we come back to Nápole, and we hope so, we will stay at Giardino Segreto for sure again!! Thanks to Mario and his wife!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Moers, Germany
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Coming by train from Rome with our 3 boys we enjoyed the silence and hospitality. Good place to start daytrips and good place to relax with huge rooms for our family. If we come back to Napoli wewill definitely come back to this lovely place.

Merry Christmas and a wonderful Year 2013!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family