“Julia Roberts eat your heart out...oh wait...you did”

L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele
Ranked #86 of 2,897 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Neighborhood: Pendino
Naples, Campania, Italy
“Julia Roberts eat your heart out...oh wait...you did”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This place is famed for being the best pizzeria in Naples..and I guess in the world (since the Neapolitans invented pizza) and is now a little bit more famous as it is featured in the film 'Eat, Pray, Love.' Don't go there just because of that though, go there because it's awesome!
You will most likely find a queue of people outside, that is the norm...but it s well worth the wait. Inside is simple, so simple you'd mistake yourself for being in a greasy spoon, but the food is so much better! The service is extremely fast and the pizza.... well, you will have to try it for yourself!
Excellent value for money and well worth a trip. Don't miss.

• Visited April 2013

• Turkish first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Pizza for Brunch”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

So we had seen/heard this place gets super crowded so we attempted to arrive there right when it opened and we failed terribly as we got lost from the train terminal to the pizzeria. When we did finally make it there we had the best pizza ever. I don't think I will ever have a pizza as amazing as that because I will never ever ever return to Naples! Ever. I don't know how Elizabeth Gilbert or Julia Roberts survived the city. Musta been the pizza.

• Visited March 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“The pizza is amazing, the service is "efficient"”
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

It had been on my bucket list for some time (even before the Eat Pray Love movie), go to Naples and eat the original Margeurita pizza! Australian pizzas are more like focaccias with many toppings, so I was drooling at the thought of eating this thin, pliable, chewy wood-fired delight.

We arrived around 11am on a Wednesday in early April, and found to my surprise that the pizzeria was open, and there were tables available. It must have just opened as there were no pizzas in front if the other seated diners. After looking around for a few moments I asked my husband if we should just take a table, and a customer (overhearing me) assured me that I should do so.

Our order was taken (we chose the doppio mozzarella in the large size to share, and ordered a bottle of mineral water) and drinks were delivered to the table with plastic cups, cutlery and serviettes. More diners arrived, and eventually what appeared to be a party of two needed to be seated. The other dining room was yet to be opened, and I expected that we would share our four-seat table with these two diners, so began to move our water closer to one side of the table. Unknown to me, these two were waiting for two other friends. The waitress, knowing this, came to our table, grabbed our drinks, cutlery and napkins, and commanded "Move!" with a gesture to another table where two men were seated. Without explanation, it seemed we were being moved to allow two people to sit where we had just been sitting...I admit I was offended for a few minutes. Later I discussed the forthright nature of the waiting staff at this restaurant with my husband; he suggested they were simply "efficient" in their approach.

Once the pizza arrived, all was forgiven! It exceeded my expectations, and neither of us experienced any sense of contempt about sharing. In all, our lunch came to a measly €7 - we tipped as much, and were given a warm and friendly farewell. Hats off to this pizzeria, who have chosen not to take advantage of its infamous reputation by charging heavily for their amazingly good food.

Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Best Pizza In The World. Fact.”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Amazing atmosphere and the best pizza in the world. There are some others in the city that are also famed for original pizza and though good, this place beats them hands down. Remember to get there early and grab a ticket to queue outside.

Visited March 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“So different from pizza back home.”
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

It may well be overhyped and at times there can be a queue outside. But there is a reason for that.... this place is great.

The pizzas are simple but delicious, every one having a unique shape and look - and without the bucketloads of toppings and thick bases we are so used to back at home.

The waiter bloke was a laugh and everyone eating at the communal tables were interacting in a way all too rare at 'normal' restaurants.

Da Michele is NOT normal and far from posh - but it is a fun experience with possibly the best pizza I have ever tasted.

The beer was good too.