“Nice hotel but awful location!!”
Review of Romeo Hotel

Romeo Hotel
Ranked #15 of 186 Hotels in Naples
“Nice hotel but awful location!!”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Three couples stayed here for two nights on our 11 day trip to Italy! Romeo Hotel, overall, was nice. It's decor is very modern and very clean!! It's location was awful!! We did not feel safe at all. Even though there were six of us, we did not feel safe walking anywhere!! The rooms were nice and comfortable but if you are paying more for a room with a view, there is NO such thing! I don't feel they should advertise such a thing that does not exist!
The bar area was nice and the service was very good! The front desk was very helpful with booking a driver for us to see the Amalfi Coast!!
Although our stay at Romeo was good there was no way I could rate it over 3 stars because of its location and false advertising of views!!
Naples would be one of my last choices for ever visiting again!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Decoyqueen
GeneralManager_Romeo, Direttore generale at Romeo Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Decoyqueen,
Thank you so much for your review and for appreciation about the hotel, the décor, the facilities and the staff.
As far as the property location is concerned, we tell the truth everywhere. As you can read on our website as well, we say that the hotel is waterfront, and it is located in the city centre, in front of the main harbour and very near to the historical centre. And about rooms too, we stressed that they have different views according to room types: our entry level accommodation have city/harbour view (they face the harbour and are NOT ON the sea), but our Suites have a breathtaking view over the bay. So, basically the view depends on clients budget.
Moreover, analysing your words, actually you do not prefer Naples too much as one of your favourite holiday destinations. Like other cities in the world, Naples shows several cons, but , believe me, it has also a lot of pros (history, monuments, food and wine, people, place of interests,…)! Think about that!
Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Toulouse, France
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Our tragic love affair with Romeo began on New Year’s Eve. We arrived late in the evening at this beautifully lit hotel in a somewhat manic district of Naples. It was love at first sight as we entered. Our eyes hungrily devouring the chic, modern décor, both in the lobby, and in the room.

A good start.

But all was not as it seemed - Romeo was dying.

Having ingested a potent poison (whose fatal ingredients included insolent, posturing staff and unnecessary affectations), Romeo lay dying right before our eyes, and we were to share in the pain of this heart-rending suicide.

Romeo’s main problem is that it forgets what it is – a hotel. The result, is an intolerably uncomfortable place to stay – and I’m not talking about the beds (which incidentally are very comfortable!). Remember the 1980’s film Pretty Woman? You get the picture…. Romeo and its staff are suffocatingly pretentious in a way that has long-disappeared from establishments further west (even at the luxury end of the spectrum). In actual fact, we got the distinct impression during our stay, that the staff just didn’t want us to be there; that we were somehow intruding upon their sacred domain.

We were greeted as we arrived at around 8pm on New Year’s Eve. The receptionist gave us the card key, introduced us to the fascinatingly impractical elevator (the buttons are on the outside – yes, think about it), and told us about the “SkyBar” on the roof – although hastily added that we shouldn’t go there that night because it was private. Guests can’t use the hotel bar? I quizzed… On New Year’s Eve? Apparently not.

We awoke on the first morning, a little hung-over after the ‘grande festa’ in Piazza Plebiscito the night before (which was a fantastic experience), and jumped out of bed to soak in the amazing view of the Bay of Naples. After 20 minutes randomly pressing buttons to try and open the curtains, we were disappointed to see that our “upgrade” to a room with a “deluxe bay view” had resulted only in a view of a noisy, dirty, industrial port. Although, over the thousands of tons of cargo being loaded into multiple ships, we did manage to catch a glimpse of the top of Vesuvius, albeit through the thick, black smoke from the funnels of the cargo ship 'Catania'.

Oh well, things can only get better, we thought, so we had a coffee from the Espresso machine (which was delicious), and began our week long holiday… which included Naples, Rome, Sorrento, Pompeii, and Vesuvius.

Our second night in the hotel was a sleepless one. The oppressive heat in the bedroom seemed peculiar given that the air-con was at the coldest setting. We tried to open the windows instead, but the noise from the street outside, along the port road, was deafening. When I awoke on day three my eyes and mouth had been welded shut by the heat, and my throat was as dry as dust. I went to the coffee machine to make an espresso, only to realise that you are only provided with 2 capsules on the first night and none after that. In a 5* hotel? Wow…. that is cheap!

We decided to go down to the desk to mention the problems with the air-con, so we got ourselves showered and dressed. I quite like the arrangement of the bathroom, with a matt black wet-room type shower and sliding glass walls. My fiancée wasn’t so keen though because you step out of the shower right into the toilet, which is still part of the wet room and so – wet! I think that although she knew the liquid on the floor was from the shower, her brain just wouldn’t allow her be 100% sure.

We had plenty of nice soft towels, which were all brand new. “Great!” we thought, until we’d gotten dressed….

“If there’s one thing you should know about towels…” explained my mother on my return, “…it’s that you need to wash them before you use them.”

Mother’s know these things. I however, in my ignorance, was destined to spend the next few days engaged in futile attempts to de-fluff every item of dark clothing I owned.

Eventually, we made it to the reception desk and complained about the air-con and explained that we tried the windows but it was too noisy. The lady told us not to worry, that she would send someone to the room to sort it out. When we got back, it was like an oven again.

On the Friday evening, we decided to take the lift to the top floor where the lauded 'il comandante' Michelin-starred restaurant was located. That is after all why we’d chosen this hotel. The plan was to have a drink, admire the view from the top of the hotel, and book dinner for the Saturday night. All didn’t go to plan however.

When the lift door opened and we stepped onto the floor, the maître d’ went white and he nearly broke his neck to intercept us. “You can’t come in here” he spluttered… “Dressed like that!!” His eyes darted up and down, studying my clothes with disgust. I could feel the bile rising in my throat but before I had a chance to say anything my fiancée interjected, explaining that we had come to see the view and have a drink. “It’s not possible!” he retorted viciously.

By now, I had already made the decision that I wouldn’t eat in this restaurant if my life depended on it, but I let him know anyway that we had been around town and had only come to book for the following evening - that’s why I was so atrociously attired in a short-sleeved shirt!

I had a quick look into the restaurant and only one lone couple sat eating, and the man was wearing a jumper and jeans. In any case, I couldn’t believe I was standing here excusing myself to a member of staff.

When he heard that we were there to book for the following evening however, his attitude changed markedly. He said we could have those drinks after all. I didn’t want them at this stage – I was fuming – but my fiancée still wanted to see the view and I conceded. The maître d’ put us out on the freezing terrace and the drinks waiter came. We ordered one drink, which we hurriedly finished, before leaving again. On the way out, the maître d’ asked if we would still like to book for the following evening! “Not a chance”, I replied.

I went straight to reception to complain. The head receptionist was called and stated “Sir must understand that the restaurant has a Michelin star”. “Sir knows this”, I replied, “That’s why sir booked the hotel, and why sir went up to book dinner.” He continued patronisingly – “Sir is a well-travelled man. He must know that in establishments such as this, one cannot eat dinner in a short-sleeved shirt”. “Yes, some restaurants have a dress code, but you’re missing the point. I wasn’t there to eat – I was simply there to book a table”. At this point I was incredulous, and realised I wasn’t going to get any satisfaction. The receptionist said he was sorry if we took any offence and would speak to the maître d’. I heard nothing more after that.

The rest of the holiday was ruined by this encounter. I was so angry I was going to just take my stuff and move us to another hotel, but my fiancée talked me out of it. I’m still angry now, thinking about it.

We still had some good times though – and we still ate some fantastic food. If you are seeking some fine dining, try Palazzo Pertrucci in Naples, or even better, have dinner at Terrazza Bosquet in the Grand Hotel Excelsior in Sorrento – beautiful views, excellent food, and above all, great service.

In fact, why not go all the way and just stay in Sorrento.

So now you see, how our hero Romeo has become tainted by its own pretentions and is dying a slow, painful death. For never was a story of more woe than us and our Romeo….

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Chris P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This is a new, modern, beautifully designed hotel. The service was exceptional and the staff very professional and friendly. We stayed in a nice very spacious suite with harbour view. There is also well deserved Michellin star restaurant on the 10th floor with an amazing view which is a must for everyone staying in this hotel. Nothing to complain about really...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Magdalena B
GeneralManager_Romeo, Direttore generale at Romeo Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear Magdalena B,
thank you so much for your special review!!!
Kind regards.
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Very well located, in front of the Naples bay.Nice view of Vesuvius and excellent breakfast. Rooms are modern, but the hotel is pretentious, and service could be way better. I asked at the reception to break a 500 euro Bill and they not only said they did not have smaller bills (which was untrue) but they also did not even try to help me in any way. Valet took 1/2 hour both days to bring our car, unacceptable!

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Caio G
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2014

fantastic hotel in front of the port of naples.. luxurious in design and art. the spa is great and the room service absolutely perfect.
very large room with a huge and confortable bed, nice bathroom and plenty of space for the luggage.
perfect for honeymoons, romantic holidays.
great

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mike r
GeneralManager_Romeo, Direttore generale at Romeo Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear mike r,
I thank you for your review and special comments.
Regards.
Heist-op-den-Berg, Belgium
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Hotel is located near the port of Naples where the cruises arrive; 5 star, 2 tiny lifts if there are many people moving around you have to wait for ages! Swimming pool closes at 7 o'clock because you have to pass trough the restaurant.
It is a design hotel, but in my opinion design and functionality have to go together, in this hotel however nothing is practical.

We had a great vieuw of the port, but when taking away the "woode" curtain to look out we only got a dirty window, so i asked cleaning leady to clean window the second day and it was ok.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank PeterS12345678
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My friend and I got a spa weekend gift from our husbands. Check-in was pleasant, we got escorted to our room on the 6th floor, got showed everything, and it was a beautiful room with a nice bathroom, shower room, and plenty of space. Bed had large comfortable pillows. We went to the spa for mani/pedi and spa staff was very courteous. We had wellness teas and also enjoyed the heated outdoor pool on the top of the hotel with an amazing view of Vesuvius and the port. Yes, you do see the buses, ships, etc but that's part of being by the port. It's still a lovely view. The outdoor pool with its many jets was absolutely relaxing and great for sore overworked muscles. We had pre-dinner drinks at the sushi bar and the bartender made me a very special wasabi martini that was just perfect. Ill write a separate view of our dinner at the restaurant (also fantastic).
The next morning, we had a delightful breakfast on the 9th floor. Then we went off to visit the spa with its thermal pools and saunas. It was the best and cleanest spa I've been to in Naples. Then we had an exfoliating scrub and massages at the spa. They did a great job, again the best massage I've had in Naples. The standards were true to luxury American spas. Some of the spa staff don't speak English but it wasn't an issue for us. The only complaint is that they only put one layer of nail polish with the mani/pedi and no top coat protection, so a day later the nails are chipped. This happened at other spas too so perhaps it's the standard in Italy.
Overall, a true Italian 5-star experience, a very relaxing weekend, very accommodation and professional staff. I'd love to spend another weekend there.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the views.