“Terrace is Terrific” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #94 of 536 Naples B&B and Inns
Corona del Mar, California
“Terrace is Terrific”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The location is ideal for exploring the older part of the city with worldclass pizza and artisanal shops nearby. Medea is a welcome retreat, comfortable and secure, with a superlative staff. They welcome the client and offer suggestions for exploring Naples. Our room was spacious, and the refrigerator and minibar (with very reasonable prices) served our purposes for two days. But it was the beautiful and spacious private terrace that really makes this property shine, especially in fine weather. It faces an inner courtyard with trees and birdsong and views of neighboring residential buildings filled with real people going about their lives. I felt a part of the city while there. The bed was comfortable and everything was clean, and it was very quiet for sleeping with metal shades and french doors closed.
On the negative side, the shower enclosure was small, cramped. The breakfast served on the terrace was a little thin. Only one beverage choice was allowed, and the pastries were not the best quality, but we supplemented with our own purchase of orange juice and some yogurt cartons which we kept in the refrigerator.
On balance, it adds up to a very good experience on our first visit to Naples. We would definitely come again - as long as we can have a terrace room.

Room Tip: Terrace room is essential.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

location is just perfect: scaturchio was very near. the staff was very nice (although they were not available the whole day), the rooms are big and clean and have a nice terrace and the prices are really friendly. the best b&b in town

• Stayed April 2012
Muscat
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed in a single room and though it was tiny it had everything I needed, the bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. The terrace really is beautiful and I very much enjoyed having my breakfast there in the morning. Angelo, the receptionist, was super helpful and so nice. He carried my suitcase up the stairs and gave good recommendations of where to go. WiFi worked well in the lobby. Not a fancy place but good value for the money.

Room Tip: I took the bus from the train station then walked up the hill to the B&B. Because it was uphill...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

As the better rooms were occupied, I was first placed in a smaller room (tidy and clean, though) facing the front alley which was rather noisier. After 2 days they kept their promise and I moved to the other side of the building with the famous, beautiful sphere and comfortable balcony, facing the St. Chiara. It was so quiet and serene out there that you might spend sometime even meditating if you want to!

The personnel were all friendly and helpful, especially Angelo and his father. The rooms were clean, the linnen goods were changed every day, the breakfast was sufficient for not so big eater like me, the room price was reasonable - but the best part of these all is that its location is only a walking distance to everything important Napels has to offer (Museum, Via Toledo, all churches, Piazza del Plebiscito, you name it).

To avoid confusion of seeking the location of this B&B which can be complicated for outsiders/tourists not familiar with the hectic traffic of Naples and which will end up with no-show penalty fee (they did warn you for this before!), you can make a (paid) arrangement to be picked up by one of the staff person if you are coming from the Capodicino Airport. I'm glad I did that and this gave me the opportunity to begin my stay in this beautiful city without headache and disappointment.

My conclusion of B&B Medea? Highly recommended! (Jim, Amsterdam, The Netherlands)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jim R
Napoli
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We made a reservation at Bed and Breakfast Medea based on the wonderful reviews as well as the internet description indicating, direct cut and paste from their web site "Our B&B has three charming and well-furnished rooms, equipped in every single detail and with the best services and comforts of a 5 star hotel.

Secondly, each room leads into an amazing terrace from which you can almost touch the cloister of Saint Chiara church, famous all over the world for the sound of its bells."

Having been based in Napoli for 4 months, we were very familiar with the neighbourhood and having recently moved to another region for the summer, we required a place to stay to meet friends in Napoli . I booked the room directly through the B and B Medea web site and received email confirmation from B and B Medea. We found the place easily and were greeted warmly by the owner/manager(?) who welcomed us and took our breakfast orders. We were then led to our room (which was in a direction away from where the other rooms seemed to be located)and I was disappointed as it was very basic, faded and did not overlook any terrace that I could perceive.(see photos) I'm not particularly demanding as a guest and the price was reasonable so I didn't say anything immediately. The host left and I began to look around noticing that the bedspread was old and stained, there was mildew/mould i.e. black stains all around the shower, there were a few hairs left in the shower and the in-room fridge didn't seem to be working.
We approached the owner/manager about the fact that we didn't think this was the type of room we were booking and he said that the rooms overlooking the terrace were generally reserved for those staying more than one night. I pointed out that the web site and the brochures (which were sitting there in the lobby) all stated that "all rooms" overlook the terrace. I checked the descriptions in both english and Italian and they both stated this fact. He offered to serve us breakfast on the terrace in the morning but I tried to communicate that it wasn't simply the fact that we didn't have a terrace/terrace view but that the room was absolutely not as advertised. We left, having a small child who was getting restless and feeling as though we were getting nowhere. Upon return to the room later, I noticed that there was a sign saying "B and B Nike" which I hadn't noticed before. I approached the evening staff member who was very sweet and she indicated that both B and Bs were the same. I explained my disappointment and she tried to think of reasons for our room assignment, suggesting that maybe all the terrace rooms had been booked. Although she was very helpful, my primary concern is that this B and B is representing "ALL" of it's rooms in a specific way (overlooking a terrace, comfort of a 5-star hotel) and that is not what we received. The following morning, IU had to leave early to meet a friend and the owner was welcoming with respect to breakfast , insisting I eat on the terrace. I can confirm that the room we crossed through to access the terrace was quite nice, and that the terrace is lovely. This actually made me feel worse, in that I realized what we were missing in being assigned a different class of room. I think it's entirely unacceptable to advertise one type of room and then to present a guest with an entirely different type of room, which seemed to be attached to a different B and B (B and B Nike?)The owner/manager was well aware of our disappointment and offered a discount on the price, 55 euro instead of 65 euro, which we accepted, but I would never go back to this B and B nor would I recommend it to friends or family. I believe that this sort of treatment of travellers is exploitative and completely unfair. The same week we stayed at the wonderful B and B Carafa Di Maddaloni, which is nearby and received exceptional service in beautiful, historic and elegant rooms and we paid 75 euro per night.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank aurelia3italia
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

A very good Bed and breakfast. In the heart of Centro Storico, clean and spacious room, nice terrace, great service. Angelo, the receptionist comes to your room at arrival and tells you everything you want to know about Naples. We recommend the shuttletaxi from the airport. When we visit Naples again we definitely stay in Medea again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I drove around for literally FOUR HOURS and couldn't find it. I take it doesn't exist at all. Still, I was charged the full rate with the justification that I didn't show up. I am absolutely outraged with the treatment I received and DO NOT RECOMMEND it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012