“Warm, welcoming and lovely, in a safe, nontouristy neighborhood” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of B&B Napul'e

B&B Napul'e
Ranked #86 of 603 Naples B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Warm, welcoming and lovely, in a safe, nontouristy neighborhood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

We adored our stay at this B&B - my parents and I had two rooms there for several days in October. The staff were welcoming, friendly, and helpful in assisting us to arrange our activities. We looked forward to chatting with them in mixed English and Italian over breakfast, which was always fresh pastry and bread, a selection of cheeses and meats, two juices, and very good coffee. The showers were strong and very hot, the bathrooms adorably tiled, our beds comfortable, the decor crisp and clean. There was plenty of storage space, a TV, and a small fridge. Because there are only a few bedrooms, and it's in the back of a courtyard building, it's quiet, secure, and very private.

The neighborhood is busy day and night and not very touristy, along the long park that abuts the waterfront. I felt perfectly comfortable and safe as a woman walking by myself along the water and on the streets in this area of Naples. There is a longish but flat walk from the hotel to the Castel d'Uovo and the Galeria shopping area (and Gambrinus! Yum). If you're healthy, fairly devoted and the weather is fine, it's walkable to the Capri/Sorrento shuttle area, as well. There are restaurants and the Gran Bar Riviera, one of the best-known pastry shops in Naples, nearby (you should definitely try the sfogliatelle and the baba, they're amazing!). It was never a problem to grab a taxi (or have the staff call one) to get us to the other areas of Naples when we wanted to go.

The only downside for me that I might pass on, and I'm working to find one so you don't think I'm one of those rah-rah reviewers, was that because it's in a real apartment building with neighbors, I did get some sound bleedthrough from the next apartment through the adjoining wall in my bathroom, so if I had been an early-to-bed type, it might have been bothersome. (I'm not, so it wasn't.) And an earlier reviewer is right - my room had no view at all except a brick wall; my parents' opened onto the courtyard space. But the front suite has a lovely balcony with a broad view of the bay. And we weren't staying in the rooms during the day, anyway...too much to do!

That homey feeling was really the heart of the experience - private, intimate, no worries, always helpful advice, and affectionate greeting. Valeria and Silvana were lovely greeters for a city we had great fun exploring. We would - and will - stay here again.

Room Tip: The two-level suite with waterfront view looks amazing!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

I think this choice is great if you need a bed to stay, in a very SAFE and CENTRAL area of Naples, CLEAN and FRIENDLY, and don't care about any other frills such as having a great interior.

POSITIVES:
- friendly and super helpful staff, Valeria - a young lady that helped me at the reception - is a star as she went out of her way to help me with things
- comfortable bed-matress
- very safe area to walk around (the safest in Naples as told me by people who lived in the city)
- great cost-benefit trade-off
- ideal solution if you need just a place to sleep and nothing else
NEGATIVES:
- Entrance, building, lift and hotel hall are not great in terms of look and feel: when I went there were works and it was not even possible to understand where the hotel was. The B&B shares the patio and the entrance with other flats in a big building
- Room was big but decor not great
- not good for romantic couples as the decor doesn't inspire much
I was in Naples to meet with friends and have dinners out, so I just used the hotel as a pied a terre to be comfortable and to get to the airport easily as I had an early flight in the morning rather than driving from the Costiera

Room Tip: My room was big, is the one with a little terrace facing the internal courtyard
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

I don't understand the good reviews for this budget B&B. The room we had was a box and there was little room to store a suitcase. Despite the window views shown in the photos, our window opened on to a wall and an adjoining apartment. It did not have the remotest similarity to the window views represented. The breakfast was poor with stale croissants on the first morning.
The bathroom was fine and clean but the bedroom walls featured a number of squashed insects. The bed was comfortable but small. The staff were friendly and helpful.
The issue was the dreadful room. Reasonably important.
This might have been good value at E50 for 1 star travellers but at E80 it was awful.
It compared very badly with the fabulous B&B's we had in Rome (Althea Inn) and Palermo (Pension Pantaleone) for only E20 more.
It is misrepresented on tripadvisor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank pies2008
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

I read about this B & B on Trip Advisor, and the prior reviews bear out our experience. The B & B is in a nice area of Naples (on the border of the Chaia/Mergellina districts), the rooms were clean and comfortable, and the owner and staff were very kind. The day we slept in, breakfast was waiting for us when we poked our heads out into the lobby. When we got up early on the day we left, they made sure we had our cappucini before we headed out. One caveat: the owner does not speak English. We speak Italian so this was fine by us, but the "speak English slowly and loudly" bit will not work here. You'll need to bone up a bit on your Italian before you stay here, which will make you like Naples more anyway.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
livorno
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2011

we stayed here one night. We had to go to the American Consulate which we could actually see from our window.

This was a sweet, hip without being pretentious, warm, clean, clean , clean b and b. The staff was so amazingly kind and helpful. I could not have invented a better place to stay. An elevator!! price was amazing!. we had a nice double that had a little loft with two beds. So a family can stay easily. Really, this place was great, no creaky beds, lots of privacy. The doors were real wood, and thick, not heavy, just really soundproof. The showers were of a good normal size. We had a small balcony that overlooked the coast. If you know these small pensiones they are variable in quality. this was really like a home you would want. Sound proof room, sparkling beautiful blue tile floors through out, a nice breakfast in the morning, accessible to everything we needed and some nice wood in the room. i even liked the cups the coffee was served in. I liked it all and the people were so amazingly kind, helpful and courteous.

I left feeling like i had made friends.

The new subway in Naples is being built and this b and b will be right near a stop. Don't miss it. if you have to go to the American Consulate, this is your place.!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2010

Tremendous service and room. Excellent value!!! The location was great. It is in the best area of naples (Il quartiere Chiaia), and very near the sea. There is are two subway stations nearby.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo