Book In Advance
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Capri
from $79.62
from $79.62
from $877.00
from $103.85
More Info
All reviews blue grotto island tour takes about hours euro discount nice boat trip total tour purchasing tickets small boat separate charge per adult beautiful coast marina grande boarded the boat high tide great tour hour trip the cliff
Reviewed September 30, 2018

My husband and I and my sister and brother-in-law visited Capri on Saturday, September 22, 2018. We were staying in Sorrento, and had taken a day trip to Capri, primarily to visit the Blue Grotto, as the experience sounded like it was going to be magical. After reading reviews on TripAdvisor, and doing our research, we knew that Motoscafisti and Laser were the two boat tour companies that offered boat tours around Capri that included stops at the Blue Grotto and that gave passengers a chance to take the rowboat ride into the grotto.

We bought our tickets for the Motoscafisti tour, which included the stop at the Blue Grotto, from a woman wearing the Motoscafisti uniform, and who took our payment in a local shop not far from the pier. We were assured that our tickets included the stop at the Blue Grotto. (We later heard that we should have bought the tickets directly from company staff at the pier, but we don't believe that had we done so, it would have made any difference in what ultimately happened.)

The boat tour around Capri was fine, but the captain did not provide any explanation in English of anything that we were seeing, except sometimes just the name of the feature, and sometimes not even that. As such, it was really more of a ride around Capri, rather than a "tour." One of the passengers on our boat became seasick about 1/3 of the way into the trip, and she moved to the back of the boat, where she remained unwell for the balance of the trip. This may have played a part in what happened later, but we are not sure, as no explanation was ever provided.

The boat approached the Blue Grotto toward the end of the trip. We slowed down, the captain got on the radio, spoke with someone, and then continued driving the boat past the grotto, and onward to the pier where we started. We asked the captain if we were not supposed to stop at the Blue Grotto, and he said that we were not stopping, with no further explanation. I (mistakenly) asked him if it was because the seas were rough, and he yessed me. We were livid.

When we returned to shore, we immediately went back to the woman who sold us the tickets. We asked her if boats were going into the grotto (as far as she knew, yes), and if the seas were rough (not that she knew of). We then asked her to please explain why our boat did not stop at the Blue Grotto. She pleaded ignorance and told us to go talk to the employees from the boat. At this point, it was after 3pm, and we had to board a 5pm boat back to Sorrento (as that was the latest boat available).

I walked to the Laser Boat Tour counter (Motoscafisti's competitor), and asked the gentleman if boats were entering the Blue Grotto. Yes, they were entering, he said. Are the seas rough today, I asked. No, the seas are fine, he replied. After Laser's staff heard me declare to my party that Motoscafisti staff had lied to us, they told us that they could take us to the Blue Grotto, make sure that they got us in, and could get us back in time to get us on our boat to Sorrento. Not wanting to walk away without having the Blue Grotto experience, and knowing that we were not going to have this opportunity again, we laid out more money for the Laser Tour tickets. Laser made good on its word, although it was busy at the grotto, and we had to wait a good long time to get on a rowboat. We made it back in the nick of time, and got our boat to Sorrento. Oh, and by the way, guess who was waiting to get his passengers into the Blue Grotto ahead of us? That's right...the same Motoscafisti captain who refused to give us the experience we paid for.

Was the Blue Grotto experience worth all the time and money that we spent for it? I still feel that it was an amazing experience. The problem is that, because Motoscafisti staff never bothered to even explain why we didn't stop, failed to offer a solution when it was clear that we were upset that we passed the Grotto by, and claimed ignorance when we confronted them after we got back to shore, the amazing Blue Grotto experience is now tainted with feelings of bitterness and anger that we were taken advantage of. This company should be ashamed of itself for ripping people off the way it does.

4  Thank Colleen T
Simone S, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Motoscafisti di Capri, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2018

Dear customer,

all I can say is that we ALWAYS give a FREE ride to Grotta Azzurra if our island tour does not stop there for any reason (generally because of long queue).

Reviewed September 23, 2018 via mobile

Avoid at all costs. Will sell you tickets for Island Tour plus Blue Grotto but not stop at Blue Grotto. Avoid this company.

2  Thank mbm39cornell
Reviewed September 22, 2018

While me and my gf were in Capri we decided to go for the 2 hours-trip offered by the motoscafisti of capri.
The weather was awesome and so it was the captain.
He brought us around key points on the Capri coast providing details of the places in italian and english.
Money wise it is a bargain as for only 17 euros you can enjoy a nice boat trip on a glorious sea making yourself a bit of an explorer.

Reviewed September 22, 2018 via mobile

We read some bad reviews for this company but our experience was great. Hence me adding a review. We bought tickets online for the blue grotto. We got to Capri at 11.30 headed straight to the dock and we’re on a boat in 15 minutes. Blue line ticket! When we arrived at the grotto there were a few boats but the guys in the rowing boats headed over to us within minutes and started getting people into the boat. I’d say we waited no longer than 15 mins there. We were happy with the experience.

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

I will be honest, I’ve never written a review before. But I am sitting on a ferry boat leaving Capri, utterly furious and feeling completely ripped off on what was supposed to be an amazing anniversary trip.

The ONLY reason my husband and I spent the money to take a detour to Capri was because I wanted to see the Blue Grotto. I have wanted to see it for years. We knew it got crowded in the afternoons and therefore took the 9:45am Yellow Line boat trip with this company.

What they don’t tell you when you buy your tickets is that if there is a long wait for the Blue Grotto - they will not stay. They will take a “poll” of the passengers and then take you back to the port, thus skipping the Blue Grotto completely and turning your two and a half hour tour into a 90 minute one.

When we got off, I asked the ticket booth what our options were. They suggested we pay even more money to hire a private boat.

If they had taken 30 seconds when we bought our tickets to explain that if it’s crowded, we won’t get to see the Blue Grotto, we would have purchased a different tour that only goes to the Blue Grotto or gone with a different company.

I’m livid that we wasted €77to get to Capri from Sorrento and paid €36 for this scam of a tour. Ruined Capri for us and needless to say, we will not come back and will warn everyone we know about these tours.

4  Thank courtneyt907
Simone S, Direttore vendite at Motoscafisti di Capri, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2018

Dear Courtney, I feel sorry to read that, but I must make a couple of clarifications:

1) it is stated on the yellow line ticket that "if the waiting time at the entry of the blue grotto is more than 45 minutes the crew reserves the right to return to the port" for safety reason (standing for over 1 hour by sea with many people onboard can be a problem if there are children or old people)

2) and MOST IMPORTANT if the aforementioned case happens, we ALWAYS give the opportunity to go back to Grotta Azzurra later in the day WITH THE SAME TICKET(for free).