“Feel like we might have got the duff room....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel La Tosca

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Capri
Hotel La Tosca
Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in Capri
London, United Kingdom
“Feel like we might have got the duff room....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We booked La Tosca after reading all of the amazing reviews on TA and were really looking forward to our stay. Ettore (the owner) was really helpful before we arrived and sent through directions on how to find the hotel. Upon arrival we found out that unfortunately Ettore was out of the country while we were in Capri but his lovely father was running the show instead. When we were showed to our room we were pretty disappointed... It was tiny and the aircon had broken, they were hoping that it would be fixed soon but we never received another update during our two night stay there. We were given a fan instead but the room was so unbearably hot even with it on that it wasn't a particularly comfortable stay. When walking past other rooms we couldn't help noticing they all seemed much nicer and larger, most seemed to have a terrace or balcony from what we saw. Our room was somewhat dingy in comparison but we were never given any choice between rooms when booking (6 months prior to our stay). If we had been told there were different types of rooms we would have opted up as we did on the rest of our trip in Italy.

The hotel is kept immaculate and there is a lovely terrace where you enjoy breakfast each morning. La Tosca has a great location very central in Capri and the staff were very pleasant, I'm sure if Ettore had been around we probably would have got more out of our stay in Capri judging by the other reviews on here.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CR1987

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Hotel La Tosca...a perfect spot to relax and enjoy the absolute beauty of Capri. Breakfast is served outside with a view of the monastery and the sea and the glorious Via Krupps is just a short walk away.Ettore is warm and gracious and always ready to assist. I was well looked-after and it was lovely!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Abb A
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed in La Tosca in the end of May. The day I arrived in Capri was not the best day of my life – rain, rough sea, sea sickness, jet lag, tiredness, headache, etc. But I was met by La Tosca family with the words: "Please relax, you are not just in a hotel, you are in the family. We will do everything to make your stay happy". That was the best greeting I've ever heard in a hotel, and it appeared to be so true.

Everything from reservation to check out was smooth, my room was spotlessly clean, La Tosca's location was perfect – central but quiet, my little terrace was the best place in Capri to have coffee in the morning or glass of wine at sunset, all other hotel guests were happy and smiling, the hotel staff was friendly and helpful, and of course Ettore, with all his knowledge of Capri and love to his homeland, was the highlight of the stay. In my opinion Ettore is a great professional with all his hard work, organizational, business and people skills, his interest in travelers, his care and attention, his willingness to make everyone's visit unforgettable, and his passion for Capri, its nature, its culture, its history, its people.

I can highly recommend hotel La Tosca and would be happy to stay there again!

Room Tip: Go for a room with a terrace!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Y K
Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Ettore is a perfect host who knows how to leave a lasting impression on his customers from the moment they get in touch with him, through their stay and even after you’ve left.

I read Tripadvisor and decided to stay at La Tosca as it had such good reviews. Now I am testimony to the fantastic hospitality and I’m very happy to contribute to the La Tosca reviews.
I booked my stay over email and shared my credit card details and a test transaction was made to confirm my booking and I was informed my card will only be charged when we check out. A day prior to our arrival I received an email with direction on how to get to the Hotel. It is close to the main Piazza and just a stone throw away from the Garden of Augustus. One can take the train to reach the top and you’ll reach the hotel in 5 mins. We were offered welcome drinks by Ettore and once checked in he helped us plan the evening by guiding us over a map on what attractions to see. Our room was clean and spacious compared to some of the other European hotels we had stayed at.

We went to the Garden of Augustus and walked through Via Krupp. Then we strolled back to the main Piazza and decided to have dinner. We should have checked with Ettore on the dining option as he books you a table at good, budget friendly and credible restaurant. I saw him do that for many guests.

The next morning we had complimentary breakfast which was good and the lady who served us was friendly. Ettore suggested us the Island tour and he booked it for us at no extra cost. It was amazing! He told us about a sandwich place where we picked up delicious sandwiches from (only for 5 Euro per sandwich) to do a little picnic at Ana Capri. We took the cable taxi ride there. It was all fabulous and if it wasn’t for Ettore we would not have seen as much of Capri as we did, we only stayed a night.

I had a great time and even got a Thank You email from him on the next day of our check out. I highly recommend La Tosca.

2 Thank Kris790501
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for a short time on Capri but we loved Hotel La Tosca. The hotel was clean, comfy, quaint. It was in a great part of Capri in walking distance to the main square but also out of the hustle and bustle which meant it was very peaceful.

Breakfast was simple but delicious, fresh bread and croissants and the best coffee all served on a quiet veranda with lovely views.

However what really made the trip for us was Ettore. His service was exceptional. He was very welcoming and really helped us make the most of our short time on Capri. He recommended a trip up the cable car and an amazing trail walk which was off the beaten track and we would never had found it on our own. The walk was the highlight of our holiday, with just us and panoramic views. He was great at recommending restaurants and lunch spots and in general couldn't be more helpful. We were sad that our time there was so short!

It was my birthday on our last morning and he even got me a birthday croissant. A lovely spot with great staff and we hope to return one day!

2 Thank nb21
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

As mentioned below this hotel is made fantastic by Ettore and his crew. Nothing is too much trouble, booking tours, transport, beach spots, loaning beach towels it's all in a days work. It's an expensive island if you are not a bit savvy but Ettore will guide you through it. Clean rooms, lovely breakfast and wifi. Would definitely recommend.

Thanks Ettore!

2 Thank Sam451
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

If I was a frequent visitor, I would be reluctant to tell too many people about this gem of a hotel. Good clean boutique hotel that is outstanding value for Capri.
Best of all is the wonderful Ettore and staff who make you feel welcome, provide excellent advice and recommendations, and are oh so helpful on how to get around, where to go and what to eat. Ettore really goes the extra mile to assist you. Nothing seems too much trouble. He emailed great advice on how to get to the hotel before I arrived, and this was especially helpful re luggage porters etc. He lent me an adaptor when mine didn't work, rang ahead to book tickets for the ferry to Positano, gave great instructions on where to go to buy the tickets etc. In stark contrast, my parents stayed at a very expensive 4-star hotel nearby, and most of the staff could not even raise a smile as you walked by, and were quite indifferent.
Breakfast was simple, but good. Capri is a wonderful island whose real beauty shines in the evenings when all the day trippers depart. What a peaceful paradise. Lovely little balcony at the hotel was great for breakfast - it had views of The Faraglioni and across part of Capri. Also perfect for an evening drink before retiring.
Do yourself a favour. Save a fortune on your accommodation compared to other hotels and stay here. It is simple but all you need for a wonderful stay on Capri. I really hope I will return one day soon to explore more of this exotic and beautiful island.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo