“Solo travellers - review & photos of the single room at La Minerva”
Review of La Minerva

La Minerva
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Capri
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I'm a solo traveller and I booked La Minerva based on the reviews for it here on Tripadvisor. I wasn't disappointed. All the positive comments people have said here before me are true and moreso: this is a fantastic, unpretentious, spotlessly clean villa hotel with stunning views of Capri from almost every window, gastronomic breakfast on offer every morning and the friendliest, warmest hospitality I have ever come across in a hotel ... and full use of the private, outdoor swimming pool! I felt like I was staying in proprietors Antonio and Luigi's home rather than in a hotel, and was treated like a family friend rather than as a guest.

As most reviewers before me stayed here with partners and thereby stayed in the stunning double rooms and suites, there are few reviews about the single room available at La Minerva. As I stayed in this room for three nights this Summer my review is primarily about it which I hope is useful to similar solo travellers considering staying here.

Yes, the room is small but perfectly adequate. It is tastefully decorated with white walls and chic, modern, cream-coloured pieces of furniture giving the impression of more space and light. Delightful Caprian-style tiles are used on the floor.

Yes, it can only house a single bed, but this room is after all only for single use and the bed is very comfortable indeed.

It comes with air-conditioning, a good sized wardrobe with drawers, a self-coding safe and a fridge with complimentary water and soft drinks (two bottles of still and sparkling water are replaced within it daily). The TV comes with Sky Italia which offers a huge selection of entertainment, movie and news channels though most are in Italian (Sky News and BBC News are available and any US movies shown on the movie channels are generally not dubbed nor subtitled). The TV set however was a bit temperamental and it took me a while to work out the knack of actually turning it on (switch the TV on at the set, then press the 'TV' button on the remote control followed by '1', and almost always then the TV would switch on from standby mode).

The bathroom is actually a decent size, tiled floor to ceiling with those lovely Caprian tiles again giving it a lot of character, and is exceptionally clean. The walk-in shower is nice and big, giving consistently hot water and can easily be controlled by the user. The toilet sometimes wouldn't stop filling after flushing which was a bit noisy, but a second flush seemed to remedy this.

Yes, it doesn't have the stunning views from the window like the other rooms do, something that is made very clear from the start - almost apologically - by Antonio and Luigi. What it does have is a doorway which opens out to a narrow space between the side of the hotel and the one next door, but enough space to stand outside, sit on the step and see the sky and some trees. The wall directly opposite the door and window (the side of the other hotel) has crawling plants up around it which makes it look less harsh and more natural, and some of the rock which the buildings are built on top of is exposed which too adds character. It does make the room a bit dark, but has been painted white to bounce as much natural light back into the room as possible. Although this private outside space is a bonus, it does open onto a path along the side of the hotels. There is a large potted cactus that seems to act like a fence along the path but this can be got around fairly easily. One night a side door to the other hotel was open and although it's not near the room (it's a bit down the path past the cactus, and has a partition around it to conceal it from La Minerva), if I wanted to I could have walked along the side and straight into the other hotel without being noticed. As a Londoner and a solo female traveller this did ring security alarm bells in my head on my first night, but the door to the room can easily be locked and the key removed from the lock which made me feel much safer. I know Capri is generally known to be safe but for non-Caprian guests I would suggest to Antonio & Luigi to maybe create a more private, secure courtyard here and put up a fence/railing across the pathway if they are permitted to replacing the potted cactus.

When I returned in the evening, a light was left on in my room, my bin had been emptied, my bed was turned and a rose was left on my pillow with a leaflet detailing the next day's weather and suggestions of what to do the next day in Capri. This was a really nice, romantic touch and much appreciated.

There are a number of cosy lounges (with some of the most comfortable sofas I've ever drifted off on) and terraces with stunning views throughout the building and the spacious poolside area to spend time by (often not even occupied by other guests) certainly makes up for the lack of space and view in the bedroom.

It's a cosy, peaceful (although at night I could here a distant boiler somewhere steaming away but it wasn't too noisy and it didn't affect my ability to sleep) and romantic room, very Caprian in style, met all my needs, was spotlessly clean and I felt happy and safe spending time in it. Antonio and Luigi have done everything they can to make this a good room and make up for its lack of space and view. Approx £100 a night for it may sound steep, but with use of the private outdoor pool anytime (and apparently a gym down the road), the stunning views elsewhere in the hotel, the great hospitality and amazing breakfast on the terrace, and just five-ten minutes walk from Capri Town, I felt this was good value especially considering how expensive Capri can be.

I would certainly stay at La Minerva again if I went back to Capri, and would have no problem staying in the single room again ... but maybe as a treat I would splash out a bit more and go for one of the double rooms with a private terrace instead as the views are simply wonderful.

Room Tip: If you can afford it treat yourself to one of the double rooms with a terrace - the view is spectacu...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank 1975Londoner

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed in Capri for a wedding of friends and were advised by them to try to book a room at the La Minerva. We were lucky enough to score a Deluxe Room which at EUR 480 a night is not cheap but I guess compared to other hotels in Capri very good value! The room was amazing, very spacious, big bathroom with jacuzzi and very nice amenities. We also had a big terrace overlooking the coast with a double daybed on it. The bed was very comfortable as well. The breakfast buffet on the roof top terrace is a nice treat and the selection of eggs made to order a welcome addition. Porter service from the port and back worked perfectly as well. It is also great locationwise as you can walk to Via Camarelle in 5 minutes but if you want to escape the daytime tourist hoards you can also walk all the way down to La Fontelina and spend a day on the "beach". Would definitely stay there again if I was going to Capri again!

Room Tip: The Deluxe Rooms are worth their money, as they are very spacious and have a great terrace overlooki...
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Cannot praise la Minerva and its welcoming staff enough. We stayed in both the superior and deluxe rooms which were equally amazing. Very comfortable beds, clean, very luxurious. Antonino, luigi, and Marco were wonderfully helpful and beyond accomodating arranging our bag transfers, private boat cruises, as well as personalized room service. Love to dream about going back one day soon

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We have just printed our pictures from our amazing honeymoon in Italy where we stayed at La Minerva. All I can say is WOW!! The hotel was great and the island is beautiful. However, it is the enthusiastic and friendly staff who made out little break so special. This is a great place to stay even if you are not used to the glitz and glamour of a place like Capri. Breakfast was first class and the pool is amazing. We will be back!!!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

We were lucky enough to experience two hotels (right next to each other). La Minerva and the La Vega... Minerva is so far ahead of Vega that the price difference should be more!

The roof top breakfast and the simple decor make for a very relaxing setting away from the tourist boat loads of day trippers. The hotel has a lovely pool and the team truly do work to make you feel completely at ease. nothing is too difficult to organise, a boat rental a visit a dinner reservation. We even had to leave for our last night and move next door, but were told that we could still use all their amenities. they even let us use their beach towels to go to the beach as they were softer, bigger and nicer.

They are the kind of people that make you feel like part of the family straight away. If we go back we would not even consider looking elsewhere. We also had the benefit of seeing both the suites on the lowest level with their terraces and also the -2 floor room number 21. both of which were lovely.

Don't think twice, just book early so you are not disappointed.

Room Tip: We were in 21 and was lovely, room 42 is also beautiful if you want a suite with a view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JF_London74
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I visted with my wife and 17yr old son . We had a good size room with a small balcony and a great sea view while my son had the room with a restricted view which suited him just fine(internet access more important than a view)! A first class, very well run boutique hotel. Decor marvellous,blues and white predominate,high ceilings.All very elegant .Enthusiatic ,dedicated and professional front of house staff. Spotlessly clean. Fantastic breakfasts and light lunches. Minbar and hotel bar prices marked at non-exploitative levels. Free internet access. Great pool.Restaurant and trip recommendations all worked very well.We also used the gym which was free and a proper bodybuilders gym( just two minutes walk from the hotel) which along with all the weights had running/rowing/steps machines etc. I could not recommend this hotel highly enough

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed at La Minerva for 3 nights from 25th-28th August and found our stay faultless. Luigi was an amazing host and runs a first class establishment. His staff was equally attentive and charming. Our day would begin with an excellent breakfast on the roof terrace, overlooking the dramatic mountain and sea views of Capri. The pool area has an equally stunning view and a convenient and cute bar/restaurant meters from your sun-bed.

The bedrooms were spotless, equipped with state of the art flat screen HD tvs, a little balcony and again great sea views.

We would without hesitation stay here again should we return to Capri. Our only advice is book well in advance to avoid disappointment!