“Great value, just a few kinks”
Review of Punta Tragara

Punta Tragara
Ranked #21 of 40 Hotels in Capri
Reviewed October 24, 2010

This review should be preceded with the fact that we had stayed at Le Sirenuse and Palazzo Sasso for the first two legs of our vacation. I'm just not sure what could possibly compete with those two, but Tragara was pretty close in many respects and, it should be noted, cost less than half of Sasso and 2/3 as much as Sirenuse, making it clearly the best value of the three. First tip: you need to call the hotel on the day of your arrival and tell them which ferry you are coming in on, they will meet you right at the dock and take your bags. It's a bit funny that you are on your own for how to get to the hotel from this point, the cable car is at the end of the dock and leaves you off right in the center of town, the hotel is then a 15 min walk. My gf and I found wandering through dimly lit Via Tragara a bit of a fun adventure but may be something to prepare yourself for if you are not expecting it. Tragara is at the end of the road. The hotel stands on the cliff and offers truly spectacular views of the Faraglioni especially. In addition, we had a wraparound terrace where they will serve you breakfast in the am for a nominal fee of 15 eur I believe, 100% worth it. Our bathroom was the size of many Manhattan apartments, our circular bathtub had a diameter of over six feet (not kidding) and the shower was also quite nice. There were, however, some lacking points that, while small, kept the hotel from quite being on the "totally blew me away" level. First of all, the wi-fi didn't work for all three days I was there (They allegedly had a business center if I somehow got desperate, I didn't check it out). This is generally ok, I didn't come to Capri to surf the internet but just something to note. Also, when we were famished after arriving our first night there, we asked for a nice restaurant that was between the hotel and town, we didn't feel like retracing all of our steps. They told us to go to the restaurant Faraglioni, which is a total tourist trap and generally sucked, worst meal we had in Italy our 10 day stay in Italy. The next night we found Villa Brunella on our own, which was fantastic and just steps from the hotel. Surely they can recognize the difference? The final night, we realized that we had a small ant problem as apparently one of the fruit drippings from the morning danish hadn't been cleaned sufficiently and the ants were congregating around it by that night. The maids came immediately to clean the place and they sprayed bug spray, but still... That was kind of the theme of our three days there, just a touch below perfect. The hotel venue is second to none on the island, the views are spectacular, the pool and sun area was great, the hotel is just a few hundred steps up from the actual coast and the nice restaurant for lunch on the water down there whose name begins with an F that I cannot immediately recall (Faragnielli's or something like that). Throw all of this together for the cost, and it's an undeniably good deal. I still came away with the idea that if I bought the place and spent a few months ironing out the kinks, I could increase the price by 50% and make it THE must-stay option in Capri. Make sense?

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 22, 2010

I just returned from a 10 day stay on the Amalfi Coast, with a 3 night stop over in Capri. I selected the Hotel Punta Tragara from an article that I read in Travel and Leisure magazine recommending the hotel for its beautiful views (SO TRUE) and five star reputation......Upon arrival I was immediately upgraded from my Double Deluxe Sea View Room to another room with double balconies. While I loved the hotel, the views, and the two pools, there were a few negatives that surprised me (given that it is a five star hotel) that I feel I must share:

1) I could not believe how uncomfortable the beds were and how scratchy the sheets were! (They felt like 100 thread count to me and I am not a bedding snob). I travel to Europe at least twice a year and am used to hard, lumpy beds, but I expected a bit better bedding at the Hotel Punta Tragara than I received.
2) Maid service was a little less than expected. We had wine and olives on one of the balconies our first night there....Upon finishing, we placed the leftover olives on a side table that evening. Two days later, when we checked out, the leftover olives and empty glasses were still on the table. I finally had to throw the olives out!
3) Squashed bugs on the ceilings in the bathroom and a tub we could not get to drain. Enough said.

Other than those hiccups, this is a GORGEOUS hotel. Full of history, with magnificent views of the sea and the island. I will come back again and hope that the sheets aren't so scratchy and my olives are not left sitting for days. :)

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank LJField
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Gorgeous hotel in glorious Capri! This is the perfect hotel in the perfect location in Capri on beautiful Via Tragara - the most beautiful and romantic area of Capri

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

This hotel lives up to all expectations and then completely exceeds them. We travelled for a weekend, in September, when the weather and crowds were more palatable. the experience was fabulous, from the family style hospitality to the extraordinary views from our room. Wherever you are in the hotel you have a view of the sea from the cliffside location. The service was just right - attentive without being overbearing, discreet at mealtimes and well organised for transfers and planning. The beach club below is great - the 300 steps down and up again should help get rid of the pink wine at lunchtime, too. In the evening it's only a short walk to the centre where the Italians are promenading before dinner. You know it's going to break the bank but it's so outrageous it's funny.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Punta Tragara is a swanky, modern boutique hotel with the most amazing views of "Faraglioni," the stacks (rocks) on the bay of Naples. Tourists walk to the hotels' entrance to capture Capri's best views, but we enjoyed it form our own suite's huge bay windows and our roof top terrace! We were on our honeymoon, so we splurged for the "Art Suite" on the Penthouse level. The suite was newly renovated, with sleek modern design and a bathtub I could have stayed in for days. (Also with it's own amazing view of the bay.) luckily, I got out of the suite long enough to dine at their restaurant "Monzu." The service was excellent and friendly, and their wine list is extensive. Dining on the sea, I chose the of course homemade pasta with lobster, mussels and baby prawns. Delicious! and for dessert, the best chocolate souffle I've ever had. And I've had quite a few.
The front desk was a bit stuffy and sometimes curt, but they kindly handled all of our luggage and transfers to and from the island, which is no small feet. Our luggage was waiting for us when we arrived and we didn't have to pull it through the entire town, as we noticed other travelers doing.
If you stay here, don't forget to have lunch at "Fontelina." It's a quaint family owned restaurant on the water wit the freshest seafood and amazing pasta. The 500 steps back up to the hotel is reason enough to have 3 courses at lunch.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrsmia
Reviewed September 30, 2010

once arrived in the hotel, room 23 with a generous terrace, I would never want to leave again. the undisturbed view onto the sea, with the faraglioni rocks to the left, and part of piccola Marina to the right is awsome. It allows for meditation, and kills any curiosity to explore the island of capri. The Hotel offers two restaurants and a splendid pool area. It is not cheap, five star L, but worth it for a couple of days to forget about the rest of the world and ones own every day life.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We just returned from a seven night stay at the Punta Tragara. We were in the
Certosa suite which was beautiful, with a very large terrace overlooking the
Faraglioni rocks in one direction and Capri Town in the other. We had
breakfast everyday, one lunch and one dinner. All meals were excellent
and service was professional and friendly. The front desk staff was competent
and made good recommendations for excursions and restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple