“Loved Punta Tragara!”

Ranked #24 of 41 Hotels in Capri
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Loved Punta Tragara!”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

When we got off the cable car and we started our walk to Punta Tragara, I was wondering if the walk was worth it. When we arrived at the hotel and saw the view from our room, yes, it was definitely worth it. We had a two story room with a wrap around balcony. It was gorgeous. Our 4 day stay turned into 6 days. I liked being a bit out of town. The hotel was quiet and I enjoyed our walks after dinner. Our room was clean and the service was good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Athens, Greece
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I've been travelling to CAPRI for the last 10 years in a row, having stayed in all 5 STAR LUX HOTELS, naming some QUISISANA, CAPRI PALACE, JK MARRIOT ETC. Apart from that i have italian close friends that have summer villas in Capri, so i could say i know the best about this island. PUNTA TRAGARA for me, does;nt represent a 5STAR LUX HOTEL for many reasons, naming some: Lack of doorman( I had to carry myself the stroller with my baby and my bag, under the eye of the receptionist, who did'nt even bother to open the door for me, since there was no doorman). Unpleasant, unhelpful staff everywhere in the hotel, from breakfast to reception and roomservice. Very poor cleaning service in the room and outdoors; Mind u, we had a suite for which we were payinglots of money, and our bath tab was dirty and uncleaned for 2 days, with a dead insect floating on the water, until i called somebody. Only 1 lady with the name MRS.ANNA was really very nice. Lack of towels!!!!! We were in a suite, we were 3 people, and we had only 2 towels..........needles to say that even these 2 ones, had a strange smell even my 3 year old boy could tel!!!!!
We had a huge terrace with 2 sunbeds and 2 towels; the 2 out of 4 nights it rained during the day, so the towels, pillows and everything outside, was wet and dirty.I 'm telling u, nobody even bothered; they didn't even bring us fresh towels. Let alone to clean ...

BUT TO CONCLUDE, YES THE VIEW IS AMAZING, STUNNING, ABSOLUTELY MARVELOUS; BUT YOU COULD EVEN ENJOY IT FROM ANOTHER HOTEL WHICH IS MUCH MORE WORTH IT(LA SCALINATELLA IS IN THE SAME ROAD WITH AMAZING VIEWS ALSO).

Room Tip: ask for at least a delux double, cause the rooms are too small.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank marilia_1
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2011

OK it is expensive....However, you will not find a comparable hotel in Capri or even possibly in Italy....there is no other place to stay....This Is It....

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed July 16, 2011

The location, the views, Capri ... Are all simply stunning, and I for one believe the rates are worth it for those things alone. but if you are used to the obsessive attention to detail, and the friendly professionalism of, say, a Four Seasons or Orient Express hotel, you will not find it here.
The rooms have amazing, truly amazing, views from the terraces and windows, the location at the end if the town make it a gorgeous retreat, but minor details just keep throwing you off - just really unexpected little things that surprise you, such as no TV reception, no Nespresso or similar coffee machine in the superior room (which has a separate sitting room), being offered the FT which then either does not arrive or is a day old, only two towels although the bath and shower are on opposite sides if the bathroom, a very friendly concierge but who did not have the tools or objective to help us "experience" Capri (like out of the way restaurants, hiking maps, private exclusive access to the Blue Grotto), no radio (much less an iPod ready radio), breakfast is good but nit exceptional, etc.
Now, you probably din't need any of this, and as I mentioned at the beginning, the views alone all well worth the money, and you WILL enjoy staying here (we will probably come back), but just don't expect to be vowed by the ancillaries.

• Stayed July 2011
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 6, 2011

The moment we walked into our hotel at Punta Tragara my husband and I were amazed. There was a bottle of prosecco chilling and dessert waiting. We opened the doors to our terrace and had an amazing view of the water and Capritown. The pool was great and had the same amazing view. The pool staff was awesome. The daily breakfast was wonderful. The hotel staff was nice, but could have been more informative upfront (it took us 2 days to realize breakfast was included and we never knew about porter pick up for our bags). The only negative thing I have to say is there is a no children under 10 policy but there were 3 children under 10 at the pool each day. They were loud and it was something we weren't expecting because we were excited about the policy, so it probably bothered us more then it normally would.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SeattleTraveler1_11
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed April 30, 2011

A bit outside the center of Capri, but well worth the 15-minute stroll on a jasmine-scented street, Punta Tragara is perched on the Mediterranean high above the iconic Faraglioni. My sea view room {upgraded from garden upon my arrival} had a terrace that overlooked Marina Piccola and a host of large yachts anchored just off the coast, and the views were amazing. I arrived at around 1:00, hot & tired after a hike from the funicular station with my luggage, and the room was not ready {although the hotel didn't appear full at any time during my visit}. I had lunch while waiting, delicious but extremely expensive, and was the only person in the restaurant or bar -- which seemed a little odd -- and there was no one eating around the pool. Admittedly, April is early in Capri's season -- the day I arrived they were cleaning and filling the pool -- but I enjoyed the solitude and can't imagine La Piazetta crowds during high season. The staff was extremely attentive but unobtrusive, the interiors {especially the baths} fabulous, and the views unparalleled.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank HollyGoesLightly
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We were at the Punta Tragara for 4 nights, and it was a really relaxing pleasant experience. The views from our suite were utterly beautiful, and the suite itself was extremely spacious and very tastefully and comfortably done up. Only negative: the bathroom did not have a window. Room service was amazing, beautifully laid out, and great service. The breakfast room was charming - same views again - and overall service at meals was pretty faultless. Only negatives: we came back to the hotel after a meander around Capri and it was probably early afternoon (2.30?) and there was no possibility of lunch at that time. The kitchen rustled up a tomato and mozzarella salad and some wine for us, which was just fine, but we were surprised that there was no real catering at "off peak" hours. Overall our stay was really nice. It is also big plus that the hotel is a walkable "off the main drag" so you have the calm and solitude of getting away from the day-trippers, but can still enjoy all the amenities of Capri itself by a short walk.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple