“5 out of 4”
Review of La Scalinatella

La Scalinatella
Ranked #24 of 40 Hotels in Capri
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Visited capri for the second time last year. The first time round we stayed at the Quisisana in the centre of Capri. Very luxurious, as expected by the pricing, but really a little big and impersonal for our tastes. This time round we stayed at its sister hotel, the scalinatella. Much smaller, and a little more off the beaten track, albeit still in a very good position. For whatever reason, it is a 4 star as opposed to 5...and can only assume its some quirk of the rating system. This is a 5 star hotel, both in terms of elegance and service, which was impeccable. will definately be going back....when we can afford it.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AlexPrimo

Reviewed September 3, 2010

We have been to Capri many times before and always stayed at the Quisisana. This time we decided on its smaller sisterhotel and we didn't regret it.
Situated further away from the main street it is much calmer and as it i smaller also much more intimate. And after just a day or two it almost felt as living with the family, as everybody new everybody. Lunch is served next to the pool. There is no menu and you just order what ever you like. The pool itself is small but nice and one has a beautiful few.
The rooms are a strange mixture of old and modern but very clean. At the beginning we had a problem with the air condition which was situated just in front of our balcony and was therefore very loud during the night. But we were able to change rooms after 2 nights.
Only downside: the WiFi in the rooms was not working properly and to check emails you needed to go to the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Finally had a chance to visit Capri and made reservations at the Scalinatella. They arranged for a pickup service in Neaples that took care of everythng from taking care of the suitcases, the cross over on the ferry and the cab to the hotel-well almost to the hotel, since cars can't drive the small streets. The hotel was great, only 30 rooms and everybody seems to know everybody. You feel like family from the first day. The food at the restaurant (only lunch) is just about the best on the Island. The staff tries to read every wish you might have. The views are fantasitic. We already reserved for next year.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jack T
Reviewed June 8, 2010

This hotel is perfectly beautiful and we had a lovely visit. The rooms are beautiful as is everywhere you look. Rooms done in blue and mostly white, very elegant and tasteful with beautiful ceramic floors. The breakfast was delicious and we had it each morning on the terrace with the water view, though the huge terrace in our room would have been great, too. We had a suite, one of three or four rooms on the lobby level, so they are the most expensive, but the most convenient with the best views, most comfortable furnishings [a love seat and large upholstered chair, in addition to two smaller arm chairs in the room, plus two full lounge chairs, a bamboo table and chairs with linen cloth on the terrace. Very private and beautifully appointed in every respect. The staff were incredibly friendly, going out of their way to be pleasant. The guy at the small gym brought over bottles of cold water and a towel and on the second day, stopped me before leaving because he had made me a cold fruit salad with fresh berries and cherries, in addition to the regular apples and bananas. Capri is a crowded zoo in the day time, but this hotel is a refuge--I barely wanted to leave the room. An option in good weather which is away from the crowds, however, is too walk further down the end of the street, turn down by the water to the "beach" which offers two options of restaurants and chairs on the rocks rentals for the day. We had a great lunch with spectacular view of the coast and no crowds. Long walk up but an option was a boat to the small marina where you could get a cab or a bus back up to the piazzetta if hiking uphill not your game. This hotel is wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tourist22903
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We saw this hotel listed as the #1 hotel in the world last year in Conde Nast's Travel magazine, so we had pretty high expectations from the beginning. However, believe me when I say I've never had even such high expectations shattered so quickly as at La Scalinatella. We got off the ship at Marina Grande where we were told a representative from the hotel would meet us to take us to the hotel. After 10 minutes searching around, we approached a man with a "La Scalinatella" shirt on (who had made NO effort to look for us). He gave us 2 tickets to ride the funicular up the mountain to make our way by foot to the hotel (not offering to take our bags). So we picked up our heavy overnight bags and made our way through the tourist-congested town of Capri to the hotel (not before getting lost a couple times). After we finally made it there, we were greeted by the front desk. The check-in was quick, and we were showed to our room...however, only after they told us any and all incidentals at the hotel would need to be paid for WITH CASH (HUH??). We had never heard of this before, even at a one-star hotel let alone a 5-star . Now to the room: it was honestly a JOKE! It was clean, but very small and IN NO WAY representative of a 5-star, 600-Euro/night room. I can honestly say I have stayed in nicer rooms at a Best Western--seriously! We then went to lunch by the pool where we had a very MEDIOCRE meal. I ordered a Caprese salad (while in Capri, right??), and they brought me a green tomato with dry, fior-di-latte mozzarella. I asked the waiter if this was a joke. Where was the buffalo mozzarella? Ripe, red Italian tomato? He said, "This is what our guests like and ask for. They don't like the buffalo mozzarella and Roma tomatoes." HUH? After pushing it away, he told me he'd make me another one in the true "Campania style." And I have to say, he did get it right the second time. Well, after lunch we decided to lounge by the pool area, as it was a beautiful day, and the pool area was quite nice, albeit very, very small. Well, we were exhausted that night and after lounging by the pool, we figured we'd just stay in a make a "night of it" at the hotel. Well, I would think staying at a 5-star hotel would mean at the very least having room service. Au contraire!! They only have room service for breakfast and the restaurant is only open for lunch!! Double HUH???? So, we went out to dinner (exactly what we didn't want to do), came back late and made our way to bed. Well, the next day at check-out, they printed out our bill and not only did we owe CASH for lunch, but we also owed 8-Euros (4/each) CASH for the funicular tickets the man at the marina so nicely "gave" us (which could have been purchased for half that price) and another 20-Euros CASH for the bottled water we used in the room (as none was provided). Well, we could not get out of that place fast enough! Honestly, it was one of the strangest "5-star" hotel experiences I've ever had! So, PLEASE, PLEASE take your hard-earned money and spend it somewhere else...somewhere that DESERVES it. We both came away completely convinced that the hotel has maffia ties anyway, so believe me when I say you should take your money and run elsewhere. I mean, how else would this place mysteriously make its way to the top of so many hotel lists??? Guess I should definitely beware cousins Guido and Luigi after writing this...

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
32  Thank PeterVal
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I just returned from a tour of southern Italy, including 2 nights at La Scalinatella. To be honest, I read the reviews after I had booked the hotel and was beginning to regret my decision. I look back in amazement at these negative reviews. Honestly, the hotel was so beautiful, the room so amazing. Yes, it was extremely expensive, but I will never forget it. My bathroom was huge and the views from the large balconey looked like something out of a romance novel. The whole hotel was gorgeous, and lunch by the pool was absolutely delicious (although avoid ordering the lobster unless you've just won the lottery). I would definitely go back again. And again. And again. There's a lovely gelato place down the street by the way.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2009

It was not my first visit to La Scalinatella. I am a Capri fan and to be honest there are many good hotels there.
Stangely La Scalinatella gets as many good reviews as not so good ones and I think the latest are undeserved. May be because people had other expectations...
La Scalinatella is a beautiful boutique property on Capri´s nicest little street with stunning views.The hotel is of typical italian refined taste. Only people sensible to Italian culture can apreciate the luxury of its understated elegance.
The rooms are large, include sitting areas and fantastic balconies. Linens and pillows are of a quality seldom found in top luxury hotels. Many bathrooms are XXL. There is a small pool on street level sorrounded by a lunch area and a second large pool downstairs with a great balcony facing the sea.
Wherever you like to sit every corner is a pleasure for the senses. Breakfast is as good as it should be in a 5 star hotel.
The sister property next door : Casa Morgano, is very nice too, offering lower rates and smaller rooms.
People used to modern big luxury hotels should check in at Hotel Quisisana, but will miss the intimate feeling of Capri´s romance that only Scalinatella offers on the island. The latest luxury boutique hotel aditions like JK Capri, are at such a disadvantage regarding location, that a comparison with La Scalinatella would not even make sense.
If you have a refined taste, if you are sensible to italian culture and you want to capture Capri´s unique art of pampering tourists, disregard the bad reviews for this hotel as coming from people you were looking for something "Las Vegas" style.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family