“Italy Visit”

Gurgaon, India
“Italy Visit”
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Hotel La Palma, Capri Italy
A very nice & hospitable hotel. Courtesy meets you right at the ferry arrival port to take care of your luggage and leave you free to go to the top. Hotel lobby is very tastefully done. Ideally located in the heart of the small town. Open air restaurant is a great place to enjoy a drink or a meal. Breakfast was good.
Room décor was very pleasing and a good size private balcony was great to relax. Live piano playing in the evening was a soothing and enjoyable. English speaking front office staff was friendly and helpful.
A great memorable experience.
Naresh Sethi, India

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nks1947

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed October 13, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in early October 2010 as part of our bus tour around Italy (Globus - Best of Italy tour).

The hotel is centrally located in Capri. It is in the heart of the shopping district and located next to a really good bakery. Our room was nice. It was equipped with air conditioning, flat panel tv, 2 twin beds, a small balcony (no ocean views), and a large bathroom with painted murals. The bathroom had a toilet, bidet, sink, and tub/shower combo. Unfortunately the shower was equipped with one of those half doors that are not effective at keeping the water in the shower. Also the first night we were there, hot water was not availabe for about an hour (perhaps all of our tour group was showering at the same time?). In general the room was clean, comfortable, and quiet.

The hotel lobby was nice as it had lots of comfortable couches and chairs (a good thing if you have been walking all day). The restaurant was good. We had dinner there one night of our stay and breakfast twice. The food quality was good but not great, and the wait staff were friendly and professional.

Overall this hotel is a nice place to stay in the heart of Capri.

• Stayed October 2010
New Jersey
Reviewed October 13, 2010

We had the most wonderful time on Capri Island. The La Palma Hotel was just beautiful. The lobby area and outside seating were our favorite parts as they were very nicely decorated. Tasteful art pieces can be found throughout the hotel. Our room was very comfortable and spacious. The hotel staff was friendly. The location is in the heart of Capri town close to shopping, restaurants and attractions. There is a delicious gelati stand next door with the best fresh waffle cones. Our meal at the hotel restaurant was just average. I would recommend trying any of the smaller side street restaurants.

Stayed October 2010
Wien
Reviewed October 1, 2010

The fact that this hotel has no pool, is in the middle of the noisy centre and has balconies onto a street can be seen on the is website. We booked anyhow.
What was terrible was the service - at check in the concierge said "documents" - nothing else. ( I mean, come on ,how about "please" ) . On day 2 there was no hot water in the room and after calling reception 3 times I asked to speak to the manager, who appeared from a back room, shirt open - he looked like he had been sleeping or partying. All he told me was I should not complain , there are already working on the problem. My complain seemed like a nuisance to him.
This is a 4 star hotel, one can expect hot water and friendly service.
My advise : stay somewhere else, Capri is stunning and there are many nice hotels.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Uschiwien
Grayslake, Illinois
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I'll give myself an "out" here first. I didn't realize how "centralized" the hotel really was! But this is not my reason for writing the blog. This is not the hotel for you if you want to sleep in, enjoy breathtaking views of Capri, or be treated with any hospitality that Italy has to offer. Every morning we awoke at 5:00am to the dumping and "stirring" of glass bottles below our room that was on the back side of the hotel, alley full of dumpsters. The hotel staff spoke some English and I am able to speak some Italian...I can read and understand it when spoken too. However, every single front desk staff insisted on short, one word answers to our questions, without smiling or any type of friendly gesture! Rude is the only word for it! Upon entering the guest room for the first time, I thought it was satisfactory. Until closing the bathroom door and finding a spot on the wall of BLACK MOLD 2 feet X 1 foot! Right where housekeeping hangs the towels, twice a day!!!!! Myself and my boyfriend have a combined 46 years of travel experience, around the world, from Amangani to Motel 6. If you want a clean, hospitable, quite vacation...look elsewhere!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TKO1234567
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed August 29, 2010

My wife and I spent one night here during a recent trip to Italy. We took the ferry from Sorrento to the Marina Grande. We elected to take a cab for E16, which fit our bags and did not require us waiting for, and riding on, the hot, cramped buses. The funicular is another option, but if you get off a crowded ferry, you may end up waiting for a while to get on. I recommend springing for a cab and being up to the hotel, safely, with your stuff in a few minutes. The cabs can only go so far and it is about a (200) meter walk to the hotel - no big deal really. The hotel immediately struck me as being genuinely classy - not just by an American's European-hotel standards, but truly well appointed both in the reception and common areas, as well as the rooms. My view was of the country side, which was not as spectacular as the sea, but it was charming and just fine for us. The bed and bedding were "European" but they worked. One thing that kills me about every hotel I've stayed at in Europe is the lack of an iron and ironing board. Buy a travel iron and throw a towel over the dresser if you need to iron (I really don't get it. Anyway...). We only really interacted with one of the staff members, Tonino (Antonio), and he was wonderful. He gave us the real scoop on some things we asked him about, one of which included a boat tour of the island. He said our options were to take the public boats, which are cheap but cramped and too fast; to rent a boat of our own to use; or to charter a boat with a driver. For E150, which we paid in cash to Tonino, and worth every penny, we elected the latter. He called one of his contacts in town and arranged a boat and driver. Later that night we asked for a dinner recommendation which he not only gave us, he called the place (Il Geranio) and asked them to make sure we got a good table. Bottom line, he was great, and it's too bad other reviewers got less than stellar service. I believe that to be an individual issue and not necessarily indicative of the overall La Palma experience. Like others have also said, it is steps away from all the swanky stores, and La Piazzetta, which is the small main square in Capri. It was expensive (as was everything on Capri, like most Islands), but it was a great place to stay for our one night in Capri. Oh and they have slippers for you in the room - nice touch.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Traveled with a Cosmos Tour, this Hotel was quite a nice surprise. Situated in the midst of some quite . fancy shops and stores, the. The décor was exquisite. The hotel is definitely decorated in Meditterannean Themes. The Rooms are very nicely decorated in light, airy tones. You are 5 minute walk from one of the most spectaacular views of the Bay of Naples. Staff was nice and spoke English to the same level as my Italian. Restauirant was great, better than expected. All in all this was the prettiest Hotels I had ever stayed.

• Stayed June 2010