“The Best Birthday Ever~”

Capri Whales di Wendy
Ranked #5 of 45 Tours in Capri
More attraction details
Owner description: A family tradition.One of the few island authorized boat companies from 1972,where trust and efficency comes first.Rent your own boat by the hour or the day to enjoy sightseeing and swimmming.Tour the island with Gennarino founder of the Roman statues in the Bleu Grotto or with one of our many guides.Availablity to visit the Amalfi coast.Our boats are equiped with snorkeling gear, coolers,floats and fresh water shower.
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Seriously, aren't there enough 5 star reviews of this establishment that you need one more to convince you? Well, just in case I will post my 2 cents because it would be a shame for anyone to go all the way to Capri and then miss out on the best part of it.

With all its allure from tales of ancient times, this island could easily be called a tourist trap today without argument, and I will say there were moments we were like "what the bleep have we gotten ourselves suckered into?", but there were plenty of other moments where we completely understood why the locals lived here, why so many people visited more than once and were glad we came. This is one of those moments.

The tour was the best part of our trip, hands down. When you rent the boat, the boat and its captain are all yours, no sharing with other tourists (unless you want to of course). You can go a couple hours or a half or even a full day. I opted for the half day because I love being on and in the water, but wanted to have time to go back to the hotel and get cleaned up for dinner. I was especially looking forward to swimming here because the water is known for being so clear, warm, shark free and buoyant so you can swim or just float around for hours and not feel tired.

We met Stefano (Wendi's husband) in front of the shop (they own a souvenir shop at the waterfront) and he suggested a little grocer right by there where we could pick up some snacks and drinks four our outing while he got some ice for the ice chest on the boat. He was waiting for us when we got out. I apologized that we had taken so long and he smiled and said "relaaax, there is no need to rush here". We walked to the small pier where our guide Alessio, who prefers to be called Alex (trust me on this one) was just pulling up. A small, charming boat which could easily seat 4 or more people with terry cloth padding all over the front for laying out. Alex was just as laid back as Stefano and just as personable. I thought it was funny and charming how we picked up a couple row boaters in tow, on their way to work at the Blue Grotto. When he drops them off there, I'd suggest you keep moving forward after you take a moment to gaze at the touristic madness. It wasn't worth the 24 euro to be crammed down on our backs and into a tiny rowboat among other reasons, especially when you're about to be taken to other grottoes that are bigger, swim-able and just as beautiful. Some would say even more so...

Alex made some great suggestions for areas to go to (on the tour and around the island) and impressed us with historical information on every point across our tour around the island. We even tried our hand at fishing off the boat (with no luck) as we made our way to each stop. In case you are interested, there are beachfront restaurants you can stop and have lunch or a drink at along the way too, but I was all about being on the boat or in the water. Besides, who can beat champagne, fruit, cheese and Italian Twinkies for lunch?

I had a lot to celebrate on this birthday. More than you can put in a review, but needless to say it meant that my expectations were all the greater. They were met and more. I spontaneously hugged Wendi when we got back and thanked her over and over for being there and for making the day so memorable.

The trip itself cost us about 300 euro (with generous and well deserved tip) and was well worth every penny.
Know before you go: go before you go because there's no bathroom on the boat, bring a towel, mosquito repellent and sunscreen (though they have a great overhead shade for those fair skinned ones). If you forget to bring any of them, no worries, they sell them in their shop at a reasonable price. Also, the water can get a bit choppy, so if you're prone to sea sickness, take Dramamine before (I don't know if they sell that in the shop or not) or wear "Sea bands" on your wrists. They work brilliantly.
Things to note: If you drink from plastic cups, never clink them together. It's considered bad luck! Turn them in and clink the outside of your hands instead (per Alex). Also, bring bottled water because the sea is very very salty and you're bound to get a gulp of it.
If you don't want to swim or stop at any of the sites/restaurants then 2 hours should be plenty for you. Otherwise, go for the half day. Either way, you will love it, Prometto :-)

2  Thank Ali G

Reviewed October 13, 2012

After reading rave reviews on TA, my husband and I decided to take a half-day boat tour around the Island of Capri. It was just us, and our captain, Roberto. Roberto was very kind, and gave us information about the island as we went along. We stopped a few times, at caves, and at a beach to get something to drink or eat, and the Blue Grotto. We could have stopped and swam, but we were not interested in that. Roberto was willing to stop anywhere and stay as long as we wanted to take photos. I am so glad we did not take a tour with a large boat full of people that could not fit in some of the caves we went into. I recommend this company if you want to take a tour around Capri.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

During our stay in Capri, a private boat tour was my only bucket list of things to do. On the morning of the day I wanted to do a tour, I looked out and saw a cruise ship in the harbor and thought- no way are we going to be able to do this. I called Capri Whales and spoke with the owners mother-in-law(sorry that I cannot remember her name but she is very friendly and helpful) and hoped to get a tour. She was so gracious and squeezed us in that afternoon with Stephano and we had a picture perfect time. Stephano is the owner and he is very friendly yet professional and we never had a worry during our trip. He is very knowledgeable about the island and we were able to go into many places a larger boat would not go to. He took pictures of us and bought us some Capri snacks to have during the ride. I had decided not to go to the Blue Grotto and we had alot more time to spend exploring. We even got to swim in the Green Grotto which we will never forget! You need to do this tour and only with this company! You will not be disappointed I assure you and you will have memories to last a lifetime! we will be back someday to do this again! Dennis and Debbie Massachusetts and Cape Cod

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We just got back from a vacation in the Amalfi Coast in Italy. We took a day trip to Capri to do some sightseeing. Upon arrival on the ferry, we were approached by the usual high pressure taxi drivers and tour operators. But one of them caught our attention. Stefano, the owner / operator of Capri Whales approached us in a humble and informative way. We had the usual skepacism and asked many questions. His low pressure approach and obvious willingness to provide a quality experience prevailed and we set out on the water with him. We could not have been more pleased with the experience. Stefano shared his vast knowledge of the area as well as details of his personal life and history. It was fascinating and we could not have been more pleased. We had a group of 4 that got personal treatment and a lasting memory. We recommend Stefano without reservation. You won't be diaappointed.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have been in italy for about three months, I went to Capri and took a great tour, unfornitualy we were un able to swim off the tour boat. I then booked another tour with Capri Whales Di Wendy. I had the best time this tour was much better than the first one, and we were able to swim at every stop! I highly recomend this tour. We swam in october and it was great!