“really good pasta”

Ranked #20 of 120 Restaurants in Capri
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Since 1937, typical Capri restaurant.
Stockholm, Sweden
“really good pasta”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This place sure knows how to make good pasta. The service is excellent and the prices are decent. I had the vegetarian raviloli and can clearly recommend it.

• Visited June 2013

Florence, South Carolina
“Excellent Caprese specialties, charming location in the heart of Capri”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The hospitality we experienced without reservations at Al Grottino was remarkable. We went early, as Americans tend to do, and we had no problem getting a table in this tiny place. Gianfranco treated us like family and we appreciated his recommendations with regard to the menu. My husband enjoyed the homemade ravioli, and I enjoyed the Caprese salad with buffalo mozzarella, my favorite!!

It was interesting to see so many photos of celebrities dining at Al Grottino, going back to the 60's. Just more evidence of Capri's popularity with the jet set.

The location just off the Piazzetta is in a charming & quiet alley, but just steps from the people watching and evening cocktails in the heart of Capri town. We would definitely return to Al Grottino!

• Visited May 2013
Freising, Germany
“Close to the centre surprising good food”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is the second time we went there. The first time we do not remember (also not badly). Today we got spaghetti all vongole and a local fresh pasta with fuori di zucca e gamberetti. Well done. Best pasta so far in this trip. Close to da Tonnino, but not yet at that level. Service was good. 26 euro per head a good price for Capri.

• Visited May 2013
“Definately NOT a Tourist Trap”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We loved this restaurant and went three times during our visit to Capri

The staff are fantastic ... very friendly and welcome you into the restaurant as part of the family.

The appetiser of grattinated anchovies are to die for as is the pannacotta ... we had a pannacotta to share and after we had finished ordered another, next time we visited we learnt from our previous visit and had one each ... we even called in on our last morning for lunch and ordered in advance the anchovies and pannacotta ... delicious

We would absolutely visit this restaurant again and again and again :D

• Visited September 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Be wary and steer clear”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Be very wary of this tourist trap of a restaurant. Please read this story before considering going to the restaurant as well as many other reviews below that warn against going to this restaurant.

If you walk into this restaurant at around 8 PM on a Friday night like we did, you will see many unoccupied tables. Most of them will have a small 'Riservata' sign on them. In spite of that, ask and you will receive a table with a wink and smile as another poster put it. Reason being, there are no reserved tables, it's a show the owner puts on to give the illusion that this hole is a hidden gem. We know because we watched group after group enter the restaurant and be given a table without having reserved in advance. The small 'Riservata' sign was just dismissed and the group, relieved to have been done a favor by the benevolent owner, was seated.

You will also notice the large amount of tables in the restaurant. There is an inordinate number of tables compared to the size of the restaurant which is done strictly for greedy business purposes. I did not even have an opportunity to sit in front of my boyfriend, I was seated to his right and he was facing another table.

Now, for the food itself, because ultimately, putting aside the service and other window dressing aspects of a restaurant, the food that is what matters. We were disappointed. As an antipasti, we both ordered a salad that had arugula leaves with cherry tomatoes (I forget the italian name but let's call it the arugula). Right before it was about to be served to us, the owner approached us and very kindly asked if we wanted parmesan cheese on it. My boyfriend declined while I regrettably accepted. After our bland main dish was served to us - the pasta was as dull as porridge, the seafood barely had been defrosted - and reluctantly consumed, we received the bill expecting the usual italian add-ons for cover and bread.

This time though we were surprised to see two different kinds of salads, one worth 10 euros the tiberiana, the other the arugula worth 5. We asked the owner for an explication. He said, I had asked for the tiberiana (essentially arugula, tomatoes and parmesan) and my boyfriend the arugula. If I had known that by accepting parmesan to be added to my salad, it would have converted it to another salad, I would have declined. We did not argue as I should have asked him whether or not there was an extra charge - although that would have been fine, the subterfuge in essentially converting my order is what is truly disappointing.

It is sad to see to which lengths some of these owners go to make a few euros. Please avoid this hole.

• Visited April 2013