Il Gioiello is the villa you see in your vision for vacation on the Amalfi Coast – a big comfortable family house, that sleeps 13 without using the couches or two cribs, on the steep hillside above Sorrento. It has three patios and a roof deck with views to die for – see our pictures, It is only 400 yards out of Sorrento. It’s well furnished with two kitchens on the bottom and top floors, Internet and a stereo with a good jazz collection. There are some Caveats however that caused us to drop our 5 star review.
Problems that the owner could easily fix – this is a luxury cost rental and should not have issues:
1. The mandatory housekeeper is expensive and very awkward. It was a requirement that we hire her for 15 hours a week at the same cost as three full cleanings of our similarly sized house at home. She spoke no English and we had the feeling she was there to watch the house – not to help our family. By Thursday, she was trying to push us to check out at 9am on Saturday. By Friday she was pushing our well behaved adult children out of her way a day before out checkout so she could sweep. We got one towel each and no sheet changes – even though the house slept twice as many people as we brought. Because the floors were dirty and needed mopping, our towels got black. She wasn’t responsible for the kitchen or laundry either. Extra towels or sheets were extra cost….If you are going to charge for luxury service, you better provide it, or your guests will feel it is a poor value as we did.
2. The house is advertised with “Satellite TV”. When I pointed out to the housekeeper that there was no Smart Card in the Satellite TV box, she said “No TV” and took the box away while we were out on a trip and never returned it.
3. Internet is ADSL and very slow. One night we were able to stream a movie from Netflix, when no other devices were online. The other 5 nights this did not work.
4. It can get very hot in Sorrento. There were 6 bedrooms in the house, but only 2 portable fans. There are no screens, ceiling fans or air conditioning. Some nights were really sweaty with mosquitos. I can’t imagine staying there in July or August. The house needs a fan for every room.
5. We asked the real estate agent to arrange for us to swim in the pool of one of the two hotels that are adjacent to the house. After several days of prodding he replied that no hotel would let us. On our last day, we walked next door to the beautiful Hotel La Badia and asked if we could swim if we had lunch. They said no problem – not sure the real estate agent actually tried to help us.
6. It is a very steep walk to town and Via Capodimonte has switchbacks and is challenging for minivans. The best arrangement is to ask the taxi driver to pick you up at Hotel La Badia which is directly uphill from the house (about 50 feet). Then they can drive up the main road to the hotel.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Friends getaway||Large groups|