“Ideal for us.”

Ranked #77 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Scotland
“Ideal for us.”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Firstly, there are so many varieties of facilities at this site I can only really review the bungalows which we stayed in. They have space for private tents and motor homes as well as chalets and smaller tent/hut type things.

We stayed in a bungalow and it was just the two of us. Our chalet had a brilliant view over the Bay of Naples and was also within the connection zone for wi-fi. Our bungalow had a small cooker (two hobs), sink, fridge and cupboard with knives, forks and crockery provided. The main room with the cooking facilities also had bunkbeds, a table with four chairs. The main bedroom had a large double bed. The bathroom was very small but sufficient with a toilet, shower and sink.

All in all we were quite comfortable with the facilities we got but there were a few minor issues. One of the gas hobs did not stay on after the flame was lit. Whenever we let the dial go, the flame would go out. Eventually we gave up but it did mean we could only use one burner. Also, the shower tray would overflow every time it was used. We ended up having to buy some sponge cloths to wipe the floor up everytime someone had a shower. In the end my husband unblocked the filter himself when it actually overflowed from the bathroom into the kitchen area which was pretty disgusting but it sort of solved the problem. The shower curtain however wasn't really up to the task of keeping water in the shower tray and the floor was constantly wet. The cabin had 2 plug sockets, but only one seemed to work properly. Only one of the lamps in the bedroom worked.

The windows have glass panes that can be opened/closed and locked and also shutters that can be opened/closed and locked. The only issue is that it's so hot at night sometimes you want both open but security wise, you don't. If you open the windows but close and lock the shutters you get cool air, but you also pick up every noise within a close radius to your cabin. Light sleepers beware, you won't sleep in this campsite!

The pool area was nice but be warned that you need to buy a swimming cap to use the pool. These can be bought for 2 euros from the pool hut which also sells paninis, ice creams, drinks and snacks. There are plenty of sun loungers and seats for guests to use.

The campsite is a lot bigger than I expected and I can see why those given accommodation at the far end of the site may feel that it's a little too big. We were lucky enough that our cabin was pretty much in the middle of everything. We used the beach only once and only for a short space of time. It was just too uncomfortable as it's stone and uneven stone at that. They do lease out large beanbags to lie on during the day but when we went to the beach in the evening, they were chained up. For a good alternative 'beach', leave the campsite and turn right. Walk along that road for just a few minutes until you see a pink building with a lane going down to the right. Follow this lane all the way down and you will find a place called Bagni Della Regina Giovanna (google image it!). The cove is gorgeous but there's no where to sit. However if you explore the area above it you should find a large area of flat rocks that opens up to beautiful blue water which is good for swimming (not for kids though, the rocks can be high up from the water and the water is deep). It's to the left of the ruins of the villa at the top of the cliff as you look out over the Bay, but the path going down in hidden so you may need to search for it. You'll elso need to scramble over rocks a bit to get to it. We spent an entire day there and it was pretty quiet. There's also a bar down the wooden walkway.

Location wise, we got a little fed up that the campsite was out of town. Not because it was out of town, but because the EAV bus was so unreliable at times. The route seems to change frequently and the map we were given did not seem to miror the route the bus took. In the end the only way we could be sure that we could catch a bus back to the site was to walk out of Sorrento heading towards the site and stop at the bus stop right opposite a small religious shrine/large hotel. We literally stood at no less than 7 bus stops for the EAV bus (that were on the map) before this and not one bus showed up. FYI, get the orange bus marked Massalubrense for heading back to the site. You can walk back to the site and we did (again when the bus was a no show). The way is paved for about half the way but I didn't feel comfortable on the road. It's too narrow and the bends are a little to tight to be walking on a busy road like that.

We made use of the campsite wi-fi (priced at 1 euro for one hour, 3 or 4 euros (can't recall) for 24 hours, 10 euros for 7 days) and it seemed to work from reception all the way down to beyond the pool. I can't comment on how reliable the connection is further up the site though. There is a shop on site but selection is limited. Less souveniers and more selection of food would have been better.

We also made use of the restaurant on several nights and found the food to be tasty and cheap. I actually preferred the food to some of the establishments in Sorrento itself. It can be very busy though so get there before 7:30 as it seems to have bus loads of group in regularly.

Despite the hiccups with the cabin and bus service we did thoroughly enjoy this holiday. It's a great location for Pompeii and Herculaneum (although watch out for buskers on the circumvesuviana line, some can make you feel quite intimiated and they also use children to collect money). However our last few nights were spoiled as it seemed like all the families left and groups of young men and women took over and would sit outside yelling until the early hours of the morning. I understand that this is something you should expect on big sites like this, but it was a bit of a disappointing ending to an otherwise lovely visit.

I'd go back though, it was a good experience and for the price, I got what I expected.

Room Tip: Depends on your accommodation, but closer to top of the site the better (for wi-fi and facilities)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oakvalebandit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Staying here on a tour, I knew I was getting myself into a cheap, campsite style accommodation. The scenery here is breathtaking and you get absolutely stunning views of Sorrento the the gulf, there's no fault with the campsite there.

The fault lies with the facilities available. The toilets were pretty disgusting and on more than one occassion, at least one cubicle was left without soap or toilet paper. The bowls of the toilets were looking less than hygienic which didn't inspire confidence in their use.

The bedding situation was dire and the mattress I slept upon was absolutely terrible. I know not to expect 5-star quality bedding in a place like this, but these were mattresses that should've been long retired.

Foodwise, I ate here on my final night and ordered a Margherita pizza. When I was delivered a large pizza I initially had good feelings, until I saw that the basil on my pizza, was THREE TINY leaves of basil, smaller than a fingernail each in size. Not how I like my Margherita pizzas at all, and sadly the taste was as disappointing as the lack of basil.

Ultimately i'd recommend this place for the views and that's about it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank MichaelC1988

Travelers are raving about these Sorrento hotels

Townsville, Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a Busabout trip. The campsite is fantastic if you are expecting it to be a CAMPSITE. Easy access to Capri and the heart of Sorrento. The cabins are very small but serve their purpose. The toilet in our cabin was temperamental, shower was lined with mould and the fly screen on the window had holes in it. We didn't bother to report these until we left as our stay was short. No fans or airconditioning, preferable for Summer as it was pretty hot in the late afternoon. Overall, well priced accommodation for the area with great facilities.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

I loved this place - it is a beautiful camp site with a private beach, swimming pool, restaurant, bar, and mini market. Gorgeous view of Sorrento and a very reasonable price. Bathrooms were clean and not far from our cabin. You have to pay for WiFi and its only in certain locations. They offer say trips to Capri/Pompei for 40 euro/person. Only downside is that it is kinda far from downtown Sorrento. It would be a little dangerous to walk to as its on a twisty mountain road but there is a bus that drops you off right in front. Buses were a little unreliable with the schedule, so you'll have to be flexible and allow extra time to get places.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zoe L
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

This place had very reasonable rates. I would invest in a private room so that you don't have to walk to and from the shower, or the bathroom for that matter. Everything was clean and the breakfast was pretty good. Amazing views also. My only complaint is it's very spread out and takes forever to walk from the office to some of the lodges. Also the wifi only works near the restaurant. PS: it's not free.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Loughborough
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Spent 4 nights in accommodation optimistically called a bungalow, which comprised 2 small bedrooms a tiny kitchen facility and a very small bathroom. Everything was very compact, and I think would be difficult if it was poor weather or you occupied the bungalow to maximum capacity. Saying that it was as described on the website and was clean, and towels and linen were included in the price. The restaurant is good value and breakfast was included in the price. The campsite is too far out of Sorrento to walk (unless you like taking your life into your hands) as the road is very winding and well used by buses and there is no footpath. There is a good bus service running all day. At times the bus was really packed and at others really quiet - we could not work it out- you can buy a 3 day ticket for the buses and trains which is brilliant value if you want to explore. Reception staff are helpful- but only if you ask questions- they don't volunteer info. I only had a few gripes-in order to use the swimming pool you have to wear swim hats which seem totally unnecessary- and they are €2 to buy, the beach is little more than a scruffy stretch of rock, Wi-fi had to be paid for- and we could only log on with one device at once, as we visited out of season there were no chairs or loungers to sit on, and finally although the camp site takes credit cards these could not be used to pay for anything other than the restaurant and the accommodation-which was frustrating.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank AMSlcmhc
Reviewed May 22, 2014

When you go to a hotel you expect fresh towels and soap in the bathroom. The only option was to 'rent' a towel for 5 euros. Now, don't get me wrong - compared with other places, even with the 5 extra euros, the place was still very cheap. But I'd say it's sort of unfair. If they told us earlier that would have been just annoying, but I probably wouldn't even mention it now.
The campsite itself is great. It has a beach, a pool and other stuff. Personally, I didn't have much time to spend there, but if I had I definitely would.
The breakfast was only okay, but don't expect anything fancy. It doesn't have high nutritional value either. I had dinner there too, in the restaurant. I had a salad and gnocchi and it was about 12 euros. Pretty expensive, in my opinion, but at least it was tasty.
Another negative point is that we asked them to use the TV in the bar (it wasn't turned on) to watch a Euroleague game and they didn't help us with that because the bar was supposed to be open only in a few hours.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the rooms that also have a shower and a toilet. They're only a bit more expans...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends