All reviews shuttle service amalfi coast meeting point bed and breakfast other guests wonderful hosts every morning pastries amazing views mt vesuvius a wonderful stay breakfast was delicious four nights view of the bay naples airport pasquale town
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Aahh! Where do I begin? There is so much to share about our time spent at Villa Monica. My husband, Sam and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary in Italy. We stayed 2 nights at Villa Monica in Sorrento, 3 nights at a luxurious 5 star castle/hotel in Tuscany and 3 nights at a hotel in Rome. Going into this trip, I knew I wanted three distinct experiences in terms of where we would stay... First, I wanted to feel like I was actually living in a house on the mountainsides of Italy for that homey and cozy experience, immersed in Italian culture, getting to know and being hosted by someone like my Italian great great grandmother. ;) I then, also wanted to experience luxury and relaxation. And finally, I wanted to experience all that there is to the city of Rome.

Minus the Italian great great grandmother, lol, Villa Monica was everything that I was expecting from the reviews... and more. Pasquale (a close second to my Italian great great grandmother, ha!) was super attentive to our every need and his personality played a big part in our trip that we will never forget. My husband and I still joke and ask each other (in our best Italian accent) his favorite sayings... "Are you happy? No, are you sure your happy? Okay, good. Then I'm happy." He would even salute us at attention as he greeted us as if to say, he was at our service.

Have I mentioned that my type-A personality husband booked our reservation and arrival for three days AFTER we actually arrived? Yes... yes... my trip savvy, anal retentive planner of a husband made this huge snafu and booked the wrong dates! So, you could imagine the surprise of Pasquale's sweet wife when she saw us at the gate a few days earlier than expected. However, she hardly even showed her surprise. She got Pasquale on the phone, who was in Naples at the time, of course not expecting us, and communicated with Sam to get us settled in. There was a room clean and waiting for us (luckily it was off season) without a hitch and Pasquale met us that night at his pastry shop that his wife shuttled us down to. It wasn't until after he greeted us kindly, cracked a few jokes and recommended a place for us to eat dinner, that he mentioned to us... oh, by the way, it's no problem, but your reservation was made for the wrong dates and you are 3 days early. I felt awful! However, Pasquale was so very polite and forgiving about it and for that, I am so very grateful.

Our room was simple, yet very inviting and gave us that homey and cozy feel. We stayed in the Sorrento room. The bed, blankets and pillows were super comfortable. There were special touches and attention to detail in terms of the decor of our room and also the shared living area and kitchen and dining areas. I thought the kitchen was gorgeous and loved the touches of the musical instruments. The place was clean and immaculate. Internet access was great as he gave us his password and we also had access to his laptop specifically for guests. Despite the fact that it rained practically our whole stay and was cold, we couldn't have asked for a more remarkable view. I wish we were able to experience more of our balcony and outside space, but the "crazy March" season prevented that. Pasquale was sure to provide us with his umbrella that we needed for a big portion of our time. As much as it was brisk and rainy, it did not put a damper on this portion of our trip... we definitely were able to make the best of it!

In terms of breakfast, we loved the variety that was provided for us. I fell in love with fresh squeezed blood orange juice! There was a spread of olives, salami, cheese, tomatoes, cereals, yogurts, juices, hard boiled eggs, pastries made fresh by Pasquale's pastry shop (don't know if I'm forgetting anything)... all delicious and fresh. Although we didn't take advantage of it because of the jet lag and early bed time, there was also wine provided for us free of charge.

Sam and I enjoy adventure and going off the beaten path, so renting a car was a perfect option for us. I was excited to see in the reviews that there would be quite the exhilarating experience making it up the mountain to where Villa Monica is located. That windy, super steep and narrow road that you can barely make up in first gear was worth the stay and the gorgeous views that the place provides was one of the highlights of our vacation. If you are brave enough and love a little bit of exhilaration, definitely rent a car. If not, I would suggest using Pasquale to shuttle you up and down as he is more than happy to accommodate. We absolutely loved having a car during the Sorrento part of our trip. We loved driving the Amalfi coast ourselves which for us, driving it, really wasn't that bad at all. We were free to be on our own and stop and take pictures wherever we wanted as well as drive up to the beautiful town of Ravello and visit Villa Cimbrone. It was also very beneficial as we were able to visit non touristy towns like the ones my ancestors were from... Salerno. And yes, we drove into Naples and made it out alive, but we found the best pizza I've ever eaten in my life at Il Pizzaiolo del Presidente and it was SO worth the drive in! I fell in love with the town of Sorrento and the access and proximity the Villa Monica gave us to all of these quaint culture rich towns. Pompeii was another place we visited as Mount Vesuvious could be viewed from our balcony. I can't believe we did all this in just two nights of stay in Sorrento!

I would absolutely love to go back to Italy some day. There is no doubt that I would want to stay no place other than Sorrento. I fell in love with this area of Italy and Villa Monica and Pasquale was the icing on the cake (or cream in the cannoli) to our stay. I just wish we would have stayed there a couple nights longer.

Tip: Absolutely visit his pastry shop and purchase a few of his pastries! AMAZING... let's just say we ate a lot of pastries during our time spent in Italy. His were the best we tasted!

Thank you, Pasquale, for your warm welcome of us to Italy! The beginning of our trip couldn't have been any more perfect!

4  Thank kristen98
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed three nights in Villa Monica. Pasquale picked us up from the station and drove us back and forth to Sorrento, giving us good suggestions for places to see and eat. He is really a friendly and helpful person, always on the ready to serve his guests. Our room ("Sorrento") had a fabulous view of the town, bay, and mountains. It was so wonderful to look out and see such beauty. The room was well equipped and clean. It was sometimes a bit cold in the room, but the weather was unusually cold and rainy. At night we snuggled into nice sheets and soon felt warm! We thought it a great advantage not to be right in Sorrento, which is filled with tourists. Instead we breathed in the mountain air and let Pasquale do the driving! You won't go wrong in booking a room at Villa Monica.

1  Thank noahsmomhwell
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I would give this place 10 stars if possible! Villa Monica is an amazing bed and breakfast. It's roughly 2 miles UP from the town of Sorrento with spectacular views of the town below and Naples and Mt. Vesuvius across the way. The room was spacious and very clean with a private bath. The owners even put nice bath robes and slippers in the room for you...a hair dryer and just about anything you might forget...toothbrush...toothpaste...it's all there for you! The room has a small flat screen TV and you can even watch a few English speaking channels. It also has individual temperature controls for your room! The bed is big, soft and comfortable. Pasquale and his wife Monica are super nice people...and they will shuttle you back and forth to the town center...so no need for an expensive Taxi! Pasquale even picked me up and dropped me off at the train station. Alice is the maid/breakfast lady and she does a great job making up the rooms...leaving little flowers on your pillows...such a nice touch. She also makes a mean cappuccino!! Pasquale will squeeze you some fresh orange juice and there is plenty of variety in the breakfast they offer. Villa Monica is just a wonderful place all the way around- you can't go wrong staying here. Highly recommended!!!

• Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank Deb E
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful 5-night stay in this magical B&B. It's pointless repeating all the praise posted by previous guests - we agree with them all!! - The couple of bad reviews must have been written by people who will always try to find something to criticise and, if they can't find a problem, they invent one! What's upsetting is that Pasquale took these totally unfounded criticisms to heart. He could not have been more helpful and he really cares about his guests. We did not stay at the best time of year (it was February - what did we expect?), most of the restaurants were closed, and it rained a lot - none the less Pasquale made some great recommendations and we had some wonderful days out, including taking a bus down the Amalfi coast, the best (and cheapest!) pizzeria in Naples and the ruins of Pompeii. Pasquale provided us with all the updated bus, train times, connections etc. etc etc. and, as other reviewers have pointed out, provided a free and pretty flexible taxi service between the town and the B&B - even late in the evening after our meals. This place is a gem and we will be back!!!

Date of stay: February 2013
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Villa Monica for two nights. I have to admit that I was skeptical at first since it is high in the mountains, but once there, Ahhhhh. I had a lovely room with a balcony offering fabulous views. Pasquale is the best host and his car service is available all day. I highly recommend this great B&B and I look forward to returning

Date of stay: March 2012