“Be right in the center of things at this hotel”

Hotel Sorrento City
Ranked #46 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Only 2 blocks from train/bus terminal, the Hotel Sorrento City was in an excellent location to enjoy Sorrento. Small rooms, but most with balconies or patios, the hotel was a most comfortable haven during our 4 days on the Amalfi Coast. Breakfast was good and service was friendly. We were only 2 blocks from the edge of the old city - the narrow laned section that had the best restaurants. Proximity to the station made bus trips to Positano and other Amalfi Coast towns simple. A grocery store literally next door for picnic supplies and water was another convenience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sorrento City

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We recently spent a week in Hotel Sorrento City. It was our first time to visit this area of Italy and it was a wonderful place to be. The hotel is very well located, literally a two minute walk to the main square where there are plenty of restaurants and shops to keep you busy. There is a pharmacy and shopping market next door to the hotel which is handy if you need anything. The Hotel is also very close to the train/bus station where you can travel anywhere in the vicinity inexpensively.
We found the staff in reception very friendly and helpful. They spoke English very well , which was good as we did not speak any Italian. They were very willing to give you advice or information about the area and were always pleasant when you came and went for the day.
The rooms are cosy but they do have a nice balcony which was great for enjoying a glass of wine while people watching. Housekeeping do a great job as the entire hotel is spotless. We found the beds comfortable and the room had air conditioning which was nice to cool down after the hot day. The breakfast is contenental but has a good selection, cereal, fruit, breads, cold meats and sweet cakes, croissants etc. It's a great start to the day and we were happy with the selection. We didn't hear other guests from our room as others have said and the main street can be a little noisy but it never bothered us and it is a main street not the country so there is not much can be done about that.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel for location and value and a pleasant stay. If I was returning to Sorrento I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Great location close to main square, shops, restaurants and trainstation, but rooms are very small and compact. Definitely not suitable for
a group of 3 in a triple share room. Breakfast was basic. Staff were very helpful!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank deano7577
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Hotel was central and although on a main street very little noise. It was central to the bus and train station The staff were very supportive and helpful.
The room although a little small was adequate. As we were staying for a week more storage space would have been useful. There was no noise from other residents even thought the room was next to the lift.
I would recommend liaising with the hotel direct for the best deal. If booking via an online site be aware that breakfast is probably not included.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I rely often on the Tripadvisor reviews when choosing a hotel and that's how I chose Sorrento City. This time, however, it was a huge mistake: tiny rooms where one may barely move, poorly isolated - you often feel as if being in your neighbors’ room (you may as well be tempted to participate in their conversation...), not particularly clean (I saw a recent review mentioning ants - my bathroom had them as well; fortunately I did not find any on my bed), staff very unfriendly, a number of messages pasted here and there starting with ‘it is forbidden to…’ making you feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, poor overpriced breakfast, the breakfast tablecloths (probably in order not to be changed daily...) covered with transparent greasy plastic covers. I could go on but I guess these already give an idea. I travel both for work and for leisure at least 6-7 times a year and this was my worst hotel experience ever. I wonder by what mean Sorrento City got such a high rating(?).
Anyway - I learned that I need to double-check the lowest rating reviews before booking.

Room Tip: Check carefully the lowest rating reviews!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank travelingtheworld01
sorrentocity, Direttore at Hotel Sorrento City, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Sir, when I read your review about the hotel Sorrento City, my reaction was great astonishment! Not for your disappointing , it is your right to appreciate or not the hotel where you are going to stay and you choose it thanks to all the other customers reviews. All of them are now in opposition to your opinion...In any case we write some advices in order to prevent our customers safety, for the example in the breakfast room it is forbidden the use of the oven , as it is dangerous ! You could burn or take high voltage electricity! it is in fact just used by the staff for preparing fresh breakfast every morning… Our breakfast has fresh cakes, muffins, a big variety of season fruit (like Sorrento oranges, peaches, water melon, plums) , four different kinds of bread, croissants, corn flakes, muesli, cheese, ham etc etc etc
Regarding my staff and cleanness I prefer to reply with all the other reviews
Best regards
Roberta Di Leva
Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Great location, walk to bus and train, main square, shopping. Well lit street. By tiny, I mean there are only a few inches between the bed and table. You have to turn your body sideways to get to the bathroom. There is no dresser, only a closet. Even though you don't spend a lot of time in the room, it's very inconvenient when you are in it. We rented 2 rooms. One of them #102 had ants all 4 days that we were there. The management is aware of this problem and sprayed everyday but it did not help. The 2nd room#204 did not have ants. breakfast was very good and varied each day.
Great restaurant nearby.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank NjAnnette
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed in Hotel Sorrento City for 4 days. Arrived late at night and they had no one to bring our suitcases up to the room. The room was very small and barely had any place to move around once we brought in our suitcases. But that was not the bad part. Our room had ants! On our bed, in the shower and on the night table. Every time we told the front desk, they said they would take care of it when we left the room for the day. But every time we came back to the room, the ants were still there. We lived with the ants for 4 days. When we finally checked out we asked if they could do something about the bill to compensate us for our troubles. We were told to speak with the manager, who was not available. After 15 minutes of arguing they took off the 2 bottles of water that we had charged to the room. A total of 1.60 euros!!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay in Hotel Sorrento City...they have ants!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank v l
sorrentocity, Direttore at Hotel Sorrento City, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear ladies, I exactly remember your stay at the hotel Sorrento City, I apologize if no one bring you up your suite cases upon your arrival, but, it is something not available in a three star hotel, even if we always help our customers when we can.....
As it regards the size of your room, I cannot understand your complain as the hotel gave you a nice room , with a balcony , facing the main avenue and square, standard size of our hotel room.
I am the hotel manager, and you always asked me about ants in room, the only room in the whole hotel that had this problem! I came in your room many times ,and we soon provide to clean it and sprayed insecticide!
I promise to myself to take a picture of the number of ants in your room, no more than three or four!! but you know this was not very serious , and against your privacy....
Unfortunately you continued to leave in room every kind of crumbs, for the whole day,even if the housekeeping, had a special interest for your problem, so that she entered in it once again before leaving the hotel .

Regarding our cleaning i just invite you to have look of all the other reviews

Hoping to have you here again
Best regards