“Does a reservation matter?”

Mami Camilla Cooking School
Reviewed June 9, 2005

Despite a long standing booking, we were moved to another hotel. Just not good enough. 2 other couples while we were there were also moved to another hotel...very disappointed as if we had wanted a hotel, we would have booked one ourselves.

On a positive, we were allowed to eat the dinner, which was quite enjoyable

10  Thank Dublin_Honeymooners

A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal
Reviewed March 17, 2005

My experience with Mami Camilla was nothing far from perfect. It was my first time traveling to Europe alone and though I was not worried about it, I still had some doubts. Upon arriving at Mami Camilla, though I was a little late for dinner, I was wonderfully greeted by Giuseppe and after a few minutes to get introduced to the other guests, I had wine placed in front of me and three plates of food, and even though I had eaten earlier, I could not pace up on eating such a good meal. From there on in I felt right at home, we went on nice trips around the area to help introduce the beauty of the Amalfi Coast, we had a nice boat ride around Capri, where we swam, ate and just relaxed under the sun. Originally my trip was to last one week in Sorrento, however, I just did not want to leave and so I quickly doubled my vacation time there.
After leaving all that was left in me mind, was when will I return and finally 2 years later I am in the mist of organizing another couple of weeks there. Soon I will be back with the family, cooking away, enjoying the surroundings and drinking good wine.

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 5, 2004

I brought over a group of culinary students from Atlanta, Georgia – USA.

They all had a wonderful learning experience and the hospitality extended by the Longo family was quite superior.

I will be bringing over many more groups in the future, both students and also people interested in learning more about Italian cooking

6  Thank Atl-Italy
A TripAdvisor Member
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed November 29, 2004

Chef Biagio

On behalf of the Culinary Institute at Chattahoochee Technical College, the participating students, and myself, I would like to express my sincere appreciation for all you did to make our culinary journey in Italy such a great success. Giving so freely and selflessly of your time, energy, & knowledge to enrich our students and colleagues speaks volumes for the global camaraderie that remains so evident in the foodservice industry.

Your genuine passion for the culinary arts is unmistakable in the way you shared information with us and it is certainly contagious! Thank you again for sharing your art, your knowledge, your passion, and your fellowship with us. If the opportunity arises for us to host you here in the U.S., please do not hesitate to ask. It will certainly be our pleasure.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 25, 2004

The old saying you get what you paid for is so true. What a dump! Spend a little more money and get a room with a view of the water in town, it will make your experience more enjoyable. We booked this believing the cooking classes they offer would be the highlight of our trip to Italy. We figured the cost would balance out with the inexpensive room, and expensive classes. The accommodations were terrible. We had a room that looked like a converted tool shed. It was freezing cold in the room, the heater could not heat the room, and we ended up sleeping with all our clothes on and 3 thick blankets. The bathroom had mold on the walls and shower. There was little hot water for showers, the drain would clog up after 2 minutes and the roosters crowed constantly starting at 5:00am.
The only person at the hotel (other than the guests) that spoke to us was the son of the owner, he was nice. The others would ignore us like we were a bother to them, including the chef of the cooking classes. Needless to say we decided not to take the classes. We were there for 2 nights and got there late on the first night. If it had been any longer I would have moved.

10  Thank Travel_JAC
Management response:Responded November 28, 2004

Dear Guest of Texas,
With reference to your review of Mami Camilla I would like to respond to the negative comments you have made. The costs of our cooking courses are of the most competitive in Italy. When you decided to cancel your course, at short notice, we did not charge you any penalty. Our inexpensive rooms are consistent to the market standards. We do not oblige anyone who takes a cooking class to book a room in our B&B as well.
Our rooms are well described on our website and your definition of “terrible accommodation” is not correct.
The rooms at Mami Camilla are all different style and where you stayed is built as a wooden chalet, which match the characteristic of a farmhouse environment. After you arrived, the only notice you gave to us was about the heater not working. The machine is brand new and it has the power to heat a larger area. We immediately provided assistance, since the problem was in re-programming the remote control, which is continually manipulated by guests who stay here.
What you saw in the bathroom is the affect of water vapour and is just needing a redecoration. All rooms in hotels require regular maintenance, this we have not completed yet, as we are open all the year. There only two roosters here and when the other animals in our farm tried to attack them, they were placed temporarily in that part of the garden. It’s true that we have had some comments about them, but it is not like the sound of traffic which can be more stressful to the ear.

We are disappointed that you did not complain to us while you stayed here, then we could have found a solution.