“unique and memorable experience”

Villa Ida Cooking Lessons
More attraction details
Owner description: Cooking lessons.
Edinburgh
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“unique and memorable experience”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I booked a lesson here at the last minute, and when I arrived discovered I was the only pupil! The setting of the garden of the Villa Ida is pure bliss - hydrangea flowers, lemon and orange trees, herbs. Your welcome is a to sit amongst the flowers, sipping the best fresh orange juice I have ever tasted (fruit grown in the garden), nibbling on home made cake and drinking an espresso. The welcome from cousins Roberta and Merida was effusive and warm. I felt a bit self-conscious being the only person there, but they immediately put me at my ease. I spent the morning cooking - not observing, but hands on experience, guided by the girls, making a four course lunch: courgette flower fritters; ravioli caprese; aubergine parmigiani; limoncello tiramisu. I gather that at some of the cooking lessons offered by the restaurants in Sorrento, which might be a bit cheaper, you observe rather than take part. I had arranged for my husband and father, with whom I was travelling, to join us for the lunch (at an additional charge). They were also privileged to join me on Roberta's father, Carlo's tour of his wine cellar of home made natural wine. What a hoot! A great raconteur - passionate and humorous. We ended up eating a very nice lunch of the things I'd made, supplemented by Carlo's wine, mozzarella made by a friend of his who has 3 cows, and foccaccia made by the girls. We left feeling that we had been welcomed into the warm, hospitable embrace of an Italian family. A unique experience and wholeheartedly recommended.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank EdinburghRad

Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“The best experience of my trip to Italy!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I can't say enough about my experience at Villa Ida. It's a beautiful place, with a wonderful, warm family. Roberta and Angela were wonderful teachers, and the food was wonderful! We made tempura battered zucchini flowers, pasta with peas, ham and mozzarella, and lemon tiramisu. Charlie, the head of the family, took us to his wine cellar, where we tasted five of his homemade wines. He served us the same wine as we enjoyed our cooking, by the pool.

By the time I left, I felt like I was a part of their family. This is COMPLETELY worth it!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Galilayo79
Port Stephens, Australia
“A Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My friend and I were looking forward to our cooking experience and we were not disappointed. Villa Ida is a beautiful property full of charm and tradition. We were welcomed with coffee and cake which allowed us to get to know the other couple we were going to be sharing our experience with. After collecting some fresh herbs from the garden we put on our aprons and hats ready to begin. Angela and Marida are very encouraging and have great passion for cooking as it has been done by their family over the years. We prepared Fried Zucchini Flowers, Pasta with Zucchini, Meat Balls, Eggplants and Strawberries Tiramisu. Everyone helps making our meal a shared experience, with great discussion along the way. The food was delicious and accompanied by Charlie's home made wines. Charlie is entertaining and very obliging. A huge thank you to the family for making our stay in Sorrento very memorable.

Visited May 2013
Pennsylvania
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“A perfect experience!!!”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

AMAZING! AMAZING! AMAZING!

We arrived at Villa Ida and were escorted through a beautiful lush property to the "home" of Villa Ida. Overlooking the garden of lemon trees, we were seated in a sunroom and served expresso and biscotti...the perfect Italian delicasies before we started our cooking journey!

Our next stop was the kitchen of Villa Ida where we prepared homemade pasta, individual lasagna, chicken picatta, green beans with bacon, pumpkin flowers and tira misu. While our dishes were in the oven, we were escorted to the wine cellar where we met Charlie who explained the entire process of wine making. We had a wine tasting/sampling and chose our favorite wines. Charlie filled beautiful ceramic cafafes of wine and our next stop was poolside to enjoy fresh mozzarella and fried pumpkin flowers.

Next stop ... dinner! We had a wonderful meal of chicken picatta, green beans rolled in bacon and lasagna.

The wine was flowing throughout and the company of the entire family was amazing!!!

Our after dinner liquer was homemade Lemoncello ... and more VINO :-)

Our experience at Villa Ida was one of the most amazing experiences that we ever had!!!

At the end our our day, we were presented with "diplomas" for us to remember our cooking experience along with our beautiful white aprons embroidered with VILLA IDA! We can't wait to have this amazing experience again! VIVA ITALIA!

If you visit Sorrento, Italy, you must experience Villa Ida!!!

Visited November 2012