“Great bar with beautiful decor”
Review of Camera & Cucina

Camera & Cucina
Ranked #165 of 292 Restaurants in Sorrento
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Camera&Cucina is a "place" where you can eat the best Campania cuisine and a gallery where you can admire the works of international photographers. You eat Italian but speaks all languages ​​of the world, as it always does in Sorrento.Camera & Cucina is a place where everyone can choose how to spend your time, a new living room of entertainment in which distant worlds meet and cross different routes of taste: taste, eat, watch, listen. Sorrento is famous for its gardens and also C & C has a typical terrace with a garden bar- The Cortile- where every evening, from the aperitif on, you can experience cocktails and listen to the notes of our soundtracks. You just have to come, make yourself at home
Reviewed January 25, 2014

we loved this bar with proper cocktails and stylish surroundings. we didn't eat as we were half board at our hotel. Staff were lovely and the cocktails were delicious! recommended

1  Thank LarkandLilyDesigns

Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Prior to any holiday, or visit to a new area, we read the reviews and take advice. This place ranked highly.

We called in on our third night but they were full. A good sign. The restaurant at that time wasn't full, but the owner confirmed all tables reserved for the full evening. We booked for the following night.

Anticipating a decent meal, we'd already mentally prepared our choices from the menu hung outside the entrance door, during our two or three visits when passing on previous occasions. I don't think that's a fault of ours.

The menu outside the restaurant remained the same when we attended on time at 7:00pm tonight. We entered and were seated in an empty dining area. A waiter requested our drinks order. He didn't speak great English, but that is our fault for not speaking a word of Italian. No criticism there.

My wife's wine was delivered, but 10 minutes later and I'm still waiting for mine.

The same waiter returned with a menu board. He didn't show us the content, but intimated that there is a specials "chefs choice" tonight. A "1st" course he proposed of pasta. "Chefs special bolognese and homemade pasta".

My wife has had pasta for the first three days, so didn't want this again, whether it be for a starter or for main. We explained this and queried whether we could just have the normal menu. The waiter again diverted from the subject and offered "meat".

We queried what kind of meat. "Mixed". We queried "antipasto"? He replied "yes".

My wife opted for the mixed meats, with my daughter and I left with little option but for the pasta bolognese starter. Again we asked for the main menu. It was not forthcoming, other than a confusing statement on "chef is fantastic, chef's special tonight".

The bolognese was decent, if not anywhere near great. The quality of the meat was questionable and my daughter left hers, such was the general appearance.

My wife's "antipasto" arrived. It was more a mixed grill, such was the quantity of meats. Not a cured meat in sight. The grill wouldn't have been first choice, but loosely agreeable; but as a 1st course? Bizarre. Chicken legs, a piece of steak, a sausage stood on end; there was barely any meat on the chicken and it was obviously very young, such was the size. The small piece of steak was apparently really good, but the sausage was inedible, such was the 'lucky bag' content. Barely meat and the inedible sinew and gristle from what the chef couldn't serve without it being hidden in a sausage. Disgusting. There was genuinely sinew and bone fragment.

A young couple arrived and were seated adjacent. They ordered drinks and the waiter read from the same menu. He was questioned as to additional options, and it was here we overheard the chef confirm that there is no menu tonight. It is chefs choice.

Chefs choice is all well and good if you agree to it and enter the restaurant on that basis, but not for it to be effectively forced upon you. The couple enquired again whether it was possible to choose from the menu outside. This was refused. They made their apologies and left. It wasn't for them to apologise.

We prefer to choose our menu for the evening, hence the choice of restaurant. However, to be given no choice, save between two dishes, was unacceptable. Why was this not discussed with us when booking on the previous night?

We were alone in the dining room for 10 minutes or so. No-one attended to clear our plates. The service was a shambles.

I left my seat to find the waiter and found the chef in the bar area. He understood my frustrations of wishing to choose from the menu on which we had chosen to dine here, whilst explaining that the menu tonight was restricted due to lack of kitchen provisions due to certain dishes being "out of season". I found this absolutely astonishing. Since when has a Caprese salad in Italy been "out of season".

I gave the chef and the waiter the chance to explain what was being offered for main course. It was a choice between lamb and fish. Neither ticked the box for the three of us and we chose to leave. The chef understood and was very apologetic.

I asked for the bill for what we'd had, and was presented with a bill of ���67! I refused to pay that amount. I asked to speak with the manager. He seemed to understand my reasons for wishing to leave, but declined the opportunity to be reasonable on reducing the bill. I refused to pay the amount being requested. Impasse. He huffily took my receipt and reduced it to ���50, throwing the bill down before me.

I suggested to my wife and daughter to leave the restaurant as I sensed things between the manager and I were getting heated, as did another couple who had just been seated, but they, like us, did not accept the "have what you are given" attitude.

The manager asked what I was prepared to pay. I offered ���30, but he refused to accept. I do accept and acknowledge that matters did get heated and I proposed I walk without paying anything, or for him to see sense and accept what I was offering in ���30. The guy was a disgrace. He took my ���50 note and threw down the ���20 change in the smallest possible note denomination.

The chef was embarrassed. He approached me on leaving and offered his hand as a gesture. I accepted and confirmed the fault had not been his.

Quite the worst dining experience ever and somewhat spoilt the night. Why have a menu and then not honour it? Why not advertise on the entrance door or menu hung outside, that the menu tonight was so ravaged by "out of season" as to leave your guests with no real choice?

The ���67 was made up of ���15 each for our starter dishes of pasta bolognese, ���20 for a starter portion of the mixed grill (extremely small buffet plate portion), ���5 for each wine (I had to wait over 10 minutes for my glass, despite my wife being served hers), ���3 for Cola Light and ���2 each for water and bread.

Gobsmacked. Absolutely gobsmacked. What a waste of a night on a 7 day holiday.

My advice is to stay well clear.

2  Thank Travelswith
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We happened upon this bar/restaurant whilst wandering around Sorrento town dodging the rain. I suffer from lactose intolerance so had bought my own milk from the supermarket. The two gentleman behind the bar very kindly agreed to froth my own milk so that I could enjoy a cappuccino and then proceeded to reseal my carton for me. Lovely coffee real coffee taste and aroma but smooth tast

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I spent my last day and evening in Sorrento at Camera & Cucina. A wonderful discovery, or as we say in English--a bit of serendipity. It began with a cooking class in the morning. I was picked up by Giuseppe and Valentina at my hotel in a charming cart with canopy, which reminded me of a golf cart in the U.S. I was whisked through the streets of Sorrento to a super mercato to pick up fresh mozzarella for the eggplant parmesan I was going to make. The staff at Camera & Cucina create a family atmosphere the moment you arrive. Fortunately, I was the only one signed up for the cooking class and received a personal lesson from their exceptional head chef, Ciro, and his partner, whose name I don't remember. I was dressed in an apron and chef's hat, which I later kept. They put me to work and I made a Grandmother's Cake, which I traveled back to the U.S. with and shared with my friends and family...perfetto! They taught me how to make fresh ravioli and a simple but delizioso fresh tomato sauce. I also learned how to properly cut eggplant. I sat down with a wonderful glass of white wine and Valentina and enjoyed every morsel of my prepared lunch. Mauro, the owner, joined us later and I now have wonderful pictures as a keepsake. I returned for dinner that evening and was extremely impressed with my light dinner, prawns of shrimp over a citron salad and plenty of Prosecco. A must on your list of places to visit while staying in Sorrento!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Based on previous reviews, we decided to try this restaurant. We were sorely lacking veggies. It was super close (staying at H. Antiche Mura). It clean, nonsmoking (what a relief!), international music, minimalistic (but not cold) and had a cool vibe.
Mauro was our server who suggested a very lovely middle of the road (price point) which was local. Not too aged but full bodied enough to hold up to steak and not too much for the amberjack tuna.
Food was refreshingly different, not just charcuterie and pasta.
Very fun, would return w/o a second thought!