“Good hotel and in a great location”
Review of Hotel Ascot

Hotel Ascot
Ranked #70 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Just got back from our tour with Cosmos and I can honestly say this hotel was our favourite. Located right on the main street and is close to all ammenities. The hotel is very clean and I found the staff to be very helpful and courteous. The rooms were of good size which was a really nice surprise but the beds were a little old and tired. WIFI was free at this hotel as well as free use of the pool. Definately recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Sorrento.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Michael Stephen J

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Home from yet another lovely stay at the Ascot! We came here last June and loved it so much we came back this year. Supposedly a budget hotel, but only budget by price! We were still impressed with the standard of cleanliness,the quality of the food,the excellent helpful staff and the convenience of the location. Roberto,Guiseppe,Antonio,Fabrizio,Carlos,Maria and Louis, were all so friendly and as before made our stay very comfortable. We can't praise this hotel enough and if you want a reasonable priced hotel near the centre of the town,access to all and great food and clean, then this is the one for you. The pool isnt massive but how big do you want it!, you can swim and cool off, and we were hardly there anyhow because we were sightseeing! We ate lunch at the hotel snack bar this time and were very impressed by the quality of our food. Breakfasts are lovely and the same as anywhere else, cereals,toast, juice,yogurts,cakes,ham,cheese,rolls etc. You can have omelettes and bacon etc, its on a board in the dining room for a small extra charge, hubby had eggs and bacon,tomatoes and beans and I believe it was 4 euros. beer in the bar was 2.50 or 3 euros so not too bad at all.They also had a packed lunch made up for us when we went on our trip to Rome( amazing!)which was lovely and tasty, we were very impressed. Also a bonus is there is no charge for sunbeds or air conditioning,or safe deposit boxes here! I believe someone on here didnt like the hotel because it is painted yellow in the rooms!!!!! Really!!if that is what they focused on they should have gone to a much more expensive hotel for the decor and pay 3 times as much!! madness!There is nothing wrong with this hotel, its excellent, and we would definitely go there again! Sorrento is lovely and a great base for trips all over the area. Thanks to all the staff we had a lovely time.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank A m
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Sorrento, the sun and Ice cream, the sea and beautiful views of the mountains and the Bay of Naples, all well and good, but you must have a comfortable base to start from. Ours was Hotel Ascot. It was not what we expected, it was far better. We may be biased but we love Italian food and the food on offer at this hotel was out of this world. Some people may complain for whatever reason, we couldn't fault it. We dont do the touristy things on holiday, although this was a package holiday, we came and went at our own pace. Yes there is Herculaneum, Pompeii and Capri to gad about on - if that is your want. We saw Capri - and Capri saw us from a distance and never said a word so we lazed by the pool complete with jacuzzi and bijou waterfalls over an adjoining walkway and loved every second. In the evening after the three course meal, we would then sightsee or shop, The place came alive when the sun went down and we would just saunter up and down and people watch and there is a lot to see. jumping for your life across the main road Vespa hopping, seeing Italian drivers trying to negotiate a three way junction where the forth turn was a petrol station and seeing the fun that ensued as they all negotiated it at different speeds. It was part of the experience and I ask everyone who goes there to stop and watch for a few moments, then if you come from the UK - thank your God for the HIghway Code! Give this tome to the Italians and the country would stop dead. But why am I telling you this? because it was a free show from my balcony in the hotel and nightly a bottle of the local wine or birra would end up on there as the sun started to set. Its a wonderful, vibrant place Sorrento, its all that people have said it is and more, there is a hidden gem in the centre of town its a hidden house where there has been so many movies made in that area that a shrine has been created to conserve the memories of these various films. Casino Royale being one of them and so many Sofia Loren films, some little known outside Italy. All within a comfortable walk from the hotel. It may not be the biggest, brash or brazen hotel in the city, but for me its possibly one of the best. and can I say thanks again to Pepe? for fixing my earphones - Grazia mille... (they are all very friendly and care about you) which is a rare commodity these days.

Room Tip: ask for the room at the far end - you get a view of the bay from the balcony. watch out though if th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ianps
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Just returned from a 2 week stay at the Ascot. We really enjoyed our stay here and would return here if we venture back to Sorrento.

My husband and I travelled with our 22 month old toddler and were initially placed in a room towards the back with a balcony with railings. I immediately requested another room (for safety with our toddler), the hotel staff were v helpful and swapped our rooms the next day to a larger room with a huge balcony with a wall around it (room 106). They even moved our luggage for us.

The staff were very helpful and made a real effort with our toddler. They were very accomodating at meal times and often rustled up some pasta for him if there was nothing on the menu for him. The food was of a high standard and included 3 choices for starter, main and desert. The waiters are attentive and friendly.

Our room was fairly spacious and clean and the air con worked well. There are shutters for over the balcony doors at night so were also dark!
The roms at the front can be noisy as they are on the road but it never bothered us.

Pool area was clean and lots of (free) sunbeds. pool was rather cold on occassion though, took a while to get in!

The location is great. Supermarket just on the corner, restraunts and bars 2 mins away and a short stroll to the main square.

Overall very pleasantly surpirsed! Enjoy :)

Room Tip: Ones at front can be noisy
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank podka123
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The rooms were basic and the bed much too small (this may be a trend in Italy) but for the price we paid this was overall value for money.

The dinning room was nice and the food of a high quality, all the staff were curtious and friendly but I would prefer to pay slightly more and have a larger bed, these were like cabin beds, and a less tempremental shower.

Room Tip: We has 509 and it had a large terrace which got the sun all day.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have just returned from two weeks at this hotel. This was my fourth visit to Sorrento and my second to the Hotel Ascot and hopefully it will not be my last. The staff are really lovely,helpful and friendly and that makes a difference when you are travelling on your own. When travelling alone there is always the dreaded single supplement, this annoys me when you are given a single room which can't be used for any other purpose so why do I have to pay extra for it? But on this occasion I was delighted to be allocated a lovely double room overlooking the pool area - that was really worth paying the single supplement for. I love this hotel - the rooms are adequate, beds are comfy,plenty of storage space, good dressing table/mirror, fridge, air conditioning. and most rooms have a balcony. The hotel is spotless and I always had enough clean towels and sheets. The pool area is lovely it's a real suntrap and I thought the water was warm. I love the hydra massage area in the pool - very relaxing. It was a nice area for me to meet people - hello Annette and Dave, you were great company throughout my stay! There is also a nice rooftop terrace with great views and sunbeds if you want to be away from it all. The food was a typical continental breakfast and the evening meals were good - there was a choice of three starters, mains and sweet. the menu was posted outside the restaurant every day which was good, if you really didn't fancy anything on it you can always eat out there are so many good restaurants in Sorrento it's good to try at least once or twice on your stay. All in all I enjoyed the food. The Ascot is a great value hotel, good location and great staff. What more can you ask for. I'm already looking forward to staying there next year.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Hazlo
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Was getting worked up about staying at Ascot Hotel after reading recent reviews. Some of the comments were justified others not so much.
The biggest plus point for this hotel is the location - very close to centre of Sorrento but far enough away to avoid the hustle and bustle.
We were unfortunate enough to have a room at the front of the hotel over the main road. It was noisy which didn't quieten down until about 1am. I had prepared myself with ear plugs and so slept okay.
The rooms were okay but the bathroom was 'tired' and needed updating but it was ok and kept very clean by Marissa, the chambermaid.
All the staff were more than helpful and friendly. When we reported the showerhead wasn't working properly Guiseppe, the maintenance man, had repaired it within 30 mins.
The outside area was pleasant to sit and have a drink and snack in and the pool area was a sun trap - even though the water was freezing cold.
The biggest negative we have for this hotel was the food. Breakfast was a basic continental affair and yes the toaster took forever. But the evening meal was really poor. The starter was always the best choice but the main course wasn't good at all and was swimming in oil. We managed 3 evenings meals and ate out the other 4.
We did find some brilliant restaurants which more than compensated - Parruchios, Artis Domus and a small one on the back streets.
I would go back to stay at the Ascot but not half board and not in a room at the front.

Room Tip: Opt for a room not at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple