“Nice hotel for the price”
Review of Hotel Ascot

Hotel Ascot
Ranked #71 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The rooms were basic and the bed much too small (this may be a trend in Italy) but for the price we paid this was overall value for money.

The dinning room was nice and the food of a high quality, all the staff were curtious and friendly but I would prefer to pay slightly more and have a larger bed, these were like cabin beds, and a less tempremental shower.

Room Tip: We has 509 and it had a large terrace which got the sun all day.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have just returned from two weeks at this hotel. This was my fourth visit to Sorrento and my second to the Hotel Ascot and hopefully it will not be my last. The staff are really lovely,helpful and friendly and that makes a difference when you are travelling on your own. When travelling alone there is always the dreaded single supplement, this annoys me when you are given a single room which can't be used for any other purpose so why do I have to pay extra for it? But on this occasion I was delighted to be allocated a lovely double room overlooking the pool area - that was really worth paying the single supplement for. I love this hotel - the rooms are adequate, beds are comfy,plenty of storage space, good dressing table/mirror, fridge, air conditioning. and most rooms have a balcony. The hotel is spotless and I always had enough clean towels and sheets. The pool area is lovely it's a real suntrap and I thought the water was warm. I love the hydra massage area in the pool - very relaxing. It was a nice area for me to meet people - hello Annette and Dave, you were great company throughout my stay! There is also a nice rooftop terrace with great views and sunbeds if you want to be away from it all. The food was a typical continental breakfast and the evening meals were good - there was a choice of three starters, mains and sweet. the menu was posted outside the restaurant every day which was good, if you really didn't fancy anything on it you can always eat out there are so many good restaurants in Sorrento it's good to try at least once or twice on your stay. All in all I enjoyed the food. The Ascot is a great value hotel, good location and great staff. What more can you ask for. I'm already looking forward to staying there next year.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Hazlo
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Was getting worked up about staying at Ascot Hotel after reading recent reviews. Some of the comments were justified others not so much.
The biggest plus point for this hotel is the location - very close to centre of Sorrento but far enough away to avoid the hustle and bustle.
We were unfortunate enough to have a room at the front of the hotel over the main road. It was noisy which didn't quieten down until about 1am. I had prepared myself with ear plugs and so slept okay.
The rooms were okay but the bathroom was 'tired' and needed updating but it was ok and kept very clean by Marissa, the chambermaid.
All the staff were more than helpful and friendly. When we reported the showerhead wasn't working properly Guiseppe, the maintenance man, had repaired it within 30 mins.
The outside area was pleasant to sit and have a drink and snack in and the pool area was a sun trap - even though the water was freezing cold.
The biggest negative we have for this hotel was the food. Breakfast was a basic continental affair and yes the toaster took forever. But the evening meal was really poor. The starter was always the best choice but the main course wasn't good at all and was swimming in oil. We managed 3 evenings meals and ate out the other 4.
We did find some brilliant restaurants which more than compensated - Parruchios, Artis Domus and a small one on the back streets.
I would go back to stay at the Ascot but not half board and not in a room at the front.

Room Tip: Opt for a room not at the front of the hotel.
2  Thank SooK54
Reviewed June 16, 2013

reading alex h review has taken a lot of my words out of me, we arrived at the same time as alex and again had a nice meal waiting in the dining room. we email the hotel for a top floor room as you have a patio to yourself and nice and private too. the rooms are double glazed so its quiet. breakfasts are a bit samey but good, dinner makes up for it. went a few places to visit so on the train and some by the local tour operators. they are all the same price so its its up to you who you choose, the locals are exellent. its quiet at night for nightlife mainly cafebars. the kiosk bar nearby has good prices, the best in town as well as the hotel. a good time was had.

Room Tip: ask for top floor you have a patio
2  Thank robertoWigan
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just returned from a week’s holiday at the Ascot Hotel in Sorrento. The hotel is well placed on the edge of Sorrento. You are well placed to get to the centre of the resort and the sea front. The hotel is very clean and the food is very nice. We arrived at 11 o’clock at night and were told that there would be something to eat for us in the restaurant. They had set out a lovely salad and fruit and bottles of water for us which were really appreciated. There is a nice garden patio area and a small but well set out swimming pool. The double room we had on the second floor at the back was a good size with a pool view. The bar prices are cheaper than most of the local bars. 7 Euros for a bottle of house wine in the dining room, 8 Euros for a bottle of better red wine, with the same wine on sale in the local shop at 12 Euros, so no rip off like many hotels.
Hotel staff are very pleasant and friendly and always willing to help if you need any information. All in all a very good hotel to stay when in Sorrento, and would definitely recommend to anyone wanting a good value clean hotel in the resort.
If you are thinking about going on any of the tour operators trips to Pompeii, Herculaneum or Vesuvius, it is easy to get there by the local Circumversuviana train.
This is the local train with the terminal in Sorrento. The Herculaneum tour with company is 45 Euros which do`es not include entrance fee but do`es include whisper headset guide. We went by train ourselves and it cost 3.50 Euros return on the train on weekends and 4.80 on week days. It is about a ten minute walk down to the site and 11 Euro entrance. We paid 10 Euros each for a personal guide which was well worth while as she was very good and informative.
Same price on train to Pompeii also same entrance fee 11 Euros.
If you are 65 years or over take your passport with you and the entrance is free to both Pompeii and Herculaneum.
When you get off the train at Herculaneum there will be people trying to get you to go on the Vesuvius coach for 10 Euros return, which is good value. They say that if you want to walk from the coach parking area to the rim of the crater it will be an extra 10 Euros. This is not the coach company making money on this, but what you have to pay at the top anyway to the National Park kiosk.
Went to Capri by fast ferry 35.20 Euros return. Went on Blue Grotto cruise 13.5 Euros. If you want to go in the Grotto by small rowing boat an extra 12.5 Euros, and the rower is telling you all the time he wants a tip as well. Grotto a rip off, you are in less than 5 minutes can`t see anything hardly except light blue water and rest of Grotto is black.
Went up Funicular railway on Capri. Be careful when you buy ticket at bottom from ticket office. It should be 1.80 Euros single fare. Went to pay for two of us, and the man said 7.20 Euros, when I said is that return he said yes. I asked again to make sure it was return and he said it was. When I checked my change he had over charged me by 1.40 Euros, and when we went on the Funicular the man said we only had single tickets. When we complained at the top, and told the man in the top kiosk he asked was there one or two people in the kiosk when we were sold tickets. When we said there was one, he said he would sort it out when we wanted to go down. When we went back he phoned the man on the gate at the top to let us through without any tickets. It makes you wonder if they try it on to see if they can get away with it regularly, so be careful. Also went on the Amalfi Drive with tour operator (35 Euros).
Really good scenery and edge of road has sheer drops into the sea.

Room Tip: Try to get room at rear. Overlooks pool or Patio garden Traffic noise at front of hotel
8  Thank Alex H
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed here on my own! The room was small but very clean! Breakfast is very basic! Most staff are very friendly! Great location short walk to the main square! The walls are very thin so you can hear everything! I would stay here again if I came back to Sorrento !

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is an excellent hotel. It was not hard to find from the main square. Very good rooms, lots of space. Very easy to navigate. Plenty of space at reception. The pool seems good. One concern, when it rains, there is an outdoor area you have to go through, if you are in the separate building to the reception and that area gets quite slippery when it rains. Although, that area is lovely when it is nice, especially at night. The breakfast area is excellent, there are lots of tables and seats, although there is not a very wide range of breakfast foods.

Overall, brilliant

Room Tip: Any will do, they all seem nice. Although, get on on the ground floor: I did not see any lift (excep...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends