All reviews busy road minute walk train station cakes the hotel staff amalfi coast per day friendly hotel breakfast was excellent double glazing small hotel town centre stayed here for nights roof terrace plenty of sunbeds nice pool the main square
Reviewed June 18, 2007

Having just spent a week at the Gardenia Sorrento, it was a lovely week. The staff at this hotel was very friendly, helpful. The room we had was lovely, clean, modern, lovely shower that actually worked very well. Towels were changed daily if you left them on the floor. Breakfast was lovely with lots of choices, swimming pool was nice size with plenty of loungers and a bar nearby.
Recommend hotel.

However, although the hotel is situated not far from the centre of Sorrento, it is on a main road and the traffic is constant and noisy. This didnt bother us at the hotel but once you walked outside, the noise from the buses, lorries, motorcycles etc was constant and dusty. They drive like maniacs.

We used the buses, easy to get around and also the trains which are equally easy to understand how to get from one place to another. You can buy a daily ticket although it is only one euro if you intend using the buses alot it would pay to buy a weekly or a travelcard type ticket.

We went to Capri. Very commercialised not at all like I thought it would be. Very noisy, hundreds of people. Lots of boutigues, very expensive, people trying to sell you things all the time.

The downside was the noise all the time. Also children as young as 6,7 years of age begging on the trains and buses, appalling.

If you want to go to Pompei its just as easy to go under your own steam. Train from Sorrento straight to Pompei and entrance is opposite station. It cost I think 3 euros 70 each return. Tours cost about euros 42 each.However if you want to have the audio tape going around Pompei, be warned they will ask you to leave your passport or credit card with them. We were not prepared to do that, but you can buy a book there that explains everything. And there is not much shelter there from the sun, it was very hot when we were there and July/August can get upto 40 degrees so be warned.

Restaurants reasonable depending on what you want. But food fine.

Do not think we would go back there again though. Need another week off to recover from the noise and heat.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank hertford1952
Reviewed June 2, 2007

Just got back from 7 day stay at the Gardenia. Really nice hotel, in the middle of refurbishment at the moment but nothing that was intrusive or noisy. Great views from the balcony, we had garden view,
friends had Vesuvius and bay of Naples. Rooms adequate in size, very clean, good sized bathroom,no complaints from me. However our friends
room's air con didn't work and noone came to fix it even though reported twice. Staff very friendly, spoke great English. Great selection for breakfast, especially if you like to eat cake early in the morning! Pool was lovely, nice haven away from the hustle & bustle. It is shared with hotel next door , Hotel Central, hence the name at the bottom of the pool (see photo). Even though on main road,
Corso Italia, traffic noise not a problem.

Situated about 15-20 minute walk from main square, Piazza Tasso (although walk back always seemed longer!).10 mins from train & bus station. Buses & trains are cheap, much cheaper than at home. You really must do the Amalfi drive on the bus, it's really scary but great at the same time. I got front seat & watching driver playing with radio & talking on phone whilst negotiating heartstopping hairpin bends with sheer drops on one side, is something that will stay with me for a long time.

I would stay here again if I ever found myself back in Sorrento.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank els37
Reviewed May 30, 2007

I feel like Im the only one who didnt fall in love with this place.
It is very clean and the renovated rooms are fine. After speaking to other patrons I belive at the time we stayed there, that some of the rooms at the back of the hotel where not renovated.

We where travelling with children and requested rooms next to each other, which we always do and pretty much is never a problem. But at this hotel they put us on the same floor but at other ends of the hotel and couldnt understand why I was having a problem with that. Whilst trying to sought out the problem I picked up the word 'stupido' being mentioned between the two hotel staff having the conversation which wasnt much appreciated. I suppose we must have gone at a busy time because they where unable to accomodate my request.

If I went back to Sorrento I would stay on the same street but closer to the water. Its quite a hike to get back and forth and the taxis in Sorrento are more expensive than other places.

Just a note if you are going to capri, you can hire your own speed boat for little in comparison to what the tours charge you to see the grottos and we found this to be one of the best days we had on our two month trip. Although my husband had a boat license your not required to have one and by the end of the day even our 9 & 11 year olds where driving the boat. Take your bathers and you can anchor down and swim into the caves around the water.

Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed April 22, 2007

If you are looking to book this awesome hotel, call directly and talk to Gaetano. He gave me a better rate than if you book elseware. The people, location, cleanliness, food are top rated. This is not a 2 star hotel... more like a 5 star with 2 star rates. PLEASE do not hesitate on this one. You will not go wrong. Magali at the front desk is awesome. Awesome breakfast with plenty of cereals, yogurt, juices, pastry etc... You wil fall in love with this place. I really miss it. Some great memories there. ONE thing... PLEASE DO NOT get ripped off in Capri. It is way over priced and not much to do there. The Blue Grotto is also a ripoff. I think I spent around $250 for a daytrip to Capri for Travel to and from, lunch, blue grotto. If you go, do yourself a favor and save your Euros for Sorrento. Definitely buy an inlaid wood music box (I didn't and regret it).

• Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank loboscor
Reviewed April 18, 2007

The Gardenia is primely located on the main street of Sorrento, but is far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the main piazza that it is the perfect location.

Just a 5 minute walk away is a multitude of restraunts, ice cream stores, shops and more!

The hotel itself has a beautiful pool that overlooks the beautiful bay of Naples. In the pool area there are fragrant lemon trees, the smell of which i still carry with me to this day.

The breakfast was standard and plentiful. The staff was courteous and spoke great english and were very helpful.
During our stay it rained on and off putting a hampering on our plans, but when the weather held up it was a great experience.
The rooms were well maintained and the beds were comfortable. Washrooms were typical, but clean.

If you are looking to go cheap on food, there is a SISA grocery store 5 minutes from the hotel where they sell some of the best gnocchi sorrentina and polpete(meatballs)
WILL STAY AGAIN...everytime!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Andrewbee