Best Western Hotel La Solara Sorrento
Hotel del Mare(Sorrento)
$204
$173
  • Breakfast included
Grand Hotel De La Ville Sorrento(Sorrento)
$305
Orbitz.com
$285
$276
2,122 results
All reviewsevery hourgala dinnerquarter past the hourshuttle bussalad barsea viewalways on timeevening mealfantastic hotelwaiter servicepool attendantplenty of sunbedsgreat holidayhotel is spotlessly cleanhalf boardlarge poolamalfi drive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel is a gem. The rooms are superb and so are the views and amenities. You are indeed treated like family and the staff will help you with anything you need. The shuttle is perfect for reaching sorrento. This hotel offers a perfect home base for exploring the glorious Amalfi coast. We highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Felix S
UGOSolara, Manager at Best Western Hotel La Solara Sorrento, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

The management and all the staff would like to thank all customers who appreciated the hard work done to make their stay as pleasant as possible.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

If you're visiting Sorrento, the La Solara is where you need to stay. We cannot fault it in anyway whatsoever.
Upon arrival we were greeted by the most friendly and welcoming staff you can imagine. Our luggage was taken care of and were were offered champagne and snacks- something offered to all guests upon arrival. Our first impressions of the hotel were abover expectations. The traditional Italian decor and charm was apparent and was really welcoming and inviting.
Our luggage was taken to our room which was spotless and equally as charming as the reception and lobby area. There was a bottle of wine waiting for us on the dresser and plenty of information leaflets about the hotel and Sorrento. The rooms were cleaned every day and chocolates left on the bedside tables- small attention to detail was fabulous.
The pool area was fantastic. The pool itself was huge and there was never a problem getting a sunbed. The sun hit the pool area all day long but there was adequate shaded areas also. The views from the pool area were spectacular. Sorrento is a truly beautiful place and is worth visiting just for the views alone. The pool snack bar offers a wide variety of snacks and drinks an staff are more than helpful. There is also a children's pool- fantastic for our 3 year old, although he loved the big pool just as much!
Now...the food! Absolutely outstanding! We enjoyed every single meal we had, there was a fantastic selection every night and evrything tasted amazing. Breakfast was perfect too. The service in the restaurant is fantastic- the staff can't do enough for you. As we were in Sorrento for our wedding and honeymoon, our son was staying in my Mum's hotel with her but the staff allowed for him to stay with us a few nights and the restaurant staff had his high chair ready for him and made such a fuss over him. The Sunday gala dinner with candle lit tables and pianist was a wonderful experience.
Our stay in Sorrento was magical, beautiful and because of the this hotel, was perfect in every way. We cannot say in words how fantastic the staff are. So friendly and helpful and genuinly interested in you and your life. Special Angelo the barman- always helpful, funny and hardworking!
The La Solara is worthy of 5 stars, i cannot recommend it enough. We will be returning to Sorrento and won't even consider another hotel. Amazing!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank MrAndMrsQuinn

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed at this place between 16 and 23 September booking on the so called reviews of others on tripadvisor. As this was a special occasion I paid extra for a room with a balcony and also requested a sea view. On arrival I was checked in by the manager Mr Ugo [----]. My wife and I were allocated room 126 !!!!, I had booked on a bed and breakfast basis as we wished the flexibility to explore this wonderful area and didn't want to be tied into having all of our meals at the hotel. On reflection I feel because of this we were treated very differently to full board guests After check-in I went to my room to discover that I had no balcony it was only inches of a gap onto a wall over looking a huge flat black felt roof. There was no view of anything except tar and a striped canopy- total rip off.see the photos.I went straight to reception and very politely pointed out that we had been given the wrong room, The manager showed me paperwork from his agents confirming that I had indeed paid for a balcony. He further stated that the hotel was full and could do nothing to help until his agents opened the following day (Monday) and that he would rectify the situation after 10am. Thenext day I was stonewalled by Mr [----] who said that he had heard nothing from his agents. I spoke to him again later and he said " you are still on my minds". Unlike another unsatisfied guest at this hotel at this time who had gone with Thompsons, I had arranged the holiday myself without a rep being at the resort, whereas my fellow unhappy guests were immediately offered 2 other rooms. Whenever I went for a meal I was made to feel like a beggar as I had to request a table each time from the dining staff as I was not allocated a table they only go to full board guests The food was truly one of the worst in all my travels. The only hot food was scrambled eggs which were frequently slimy and revolting to my taste, meatballs? which were usually raw in the middle and stewed sausages whenever the meatballs were not there.They never yet sorted out the room and he avoided me at all times. The icing on the cake for me was when I was checking out Mr Di Maio had the audacity to present an additional bill to me for 100 Euros for items including a dinner that I did not have and a bill for 12 euros for something he repeatedly refused to explain !!. At this point I thought that I was in Fawlty Towers and expected John Cleese to appear. This has been my worst experience of a hotel EVER. This has not put me off the beautiful area and I fully intend to come back repeatedly but most certainly not to this hotel. The beds were lumpy and hard and the rooms dated. Most of the staff were very nice but the manager was offhand at best and rude at worst. No doubt I will be called a liar by this man as he has done to every other guest he has cheated who then felt obliged to warn others but I am taking this matter up with my agent and will be leaving reviews in as many places as possible .

Room Tip: Do Not Accept Room 126 at Check-in.
12  Thank StevenT279
UGOSolara, General Manager at Best Western Hotel La Solara Sorrento, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

I am the General Manager of Best Western Hotel La Solara Ugo Di Maio and I've never had the pleasure of meeting you in my hotel and I think it is illegal to make name of someone you've never met and speak so bad of a hotel and his staff who work very hard to ensure his customers
a nice stay. I have also written to trip advisor.
Ugo Di Maio

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel, room was lovely, special treat of a chocolate on your pillow each night. Staff friendly. We had a small balcony at front of hotel.
Pool nice, although only used it once as walked downhill to local beach to swim in sea.
Only drawback was that the hotel was a bit of a walk outside of Sorrento and no footpaths, but the hotel had its on minibus to take guests in and out.

Room Tip: Dont go for a room at the back as no view.
1  Thank snoopy37

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the La Solara from the 10/9/12 to 17/9/12 and were disappointed at the standard of the accomodation and location. Think 3* hotel in Blackpool / Bournmouth. We had 3 different rooms during our stay - Room 124 small dark, with a lovely view of a flat roof, we complained straight away and got moved to Room 324, slightly bigger with a small balcony on the opposite side of the hotel. The next morning we complained again as the mattress was so hard it was more comfortable to sleep on the floor, the room also smelt damp. The manager had the mattress changed and also resolved the smell (extractor not working in the bathroom), he also showed us another room which overlooked the pool and said that we could move into that on the Friday which we did. I think if we had been put in this room at the start our perception of the La Solara might have been slightly different.
Location - if you like peace and quiet and are happy to be constrained by the times of the hotel courtesy bus then this may be the hotel for you. As a young 50 year old i found that it was to quiet and to far out of Sorrento, Thompson's brochure says that it is 3 kilometres outside the town but fails to mention that you would be mad to try walking due to the lack of pavements / traffic. in the Thompson brochure it also states that there is a Supermarket 800 metres away, if you call a small village store a supermarket then you will be happy.
The hotel in a lot of ways resembles a retirement home, every night most people had gone to bed by 10pm, luckily we met a couple from Bolton who we stayed up chatting to every night, i think the staff were shocked to see people up past midnight.
On a positive note the food was good, the hotel was spotlessly clean and the staff were friendly and helpful.
The Thompson Rep Jenna was certainly not very customer service orientated and her colleague Tina was even worse. Jenna when we complained said that she had only had 2 complaints reference the hotel in 3 months, whilst we were there i know of at least 3.
Would we use Thompson's again NO, would we stay at the La Solara again No. There are certainly nicer 4* hotels in Sorrento.

One thing the hotel could do straight away to improve the ambience of the dining room at night would be to dim the lights and put some candles on the tables. Also i like to look at the person i am dinning with rather than sitting next to them looking directly at another table. it is far easier to talk to somebody when you are sat opposite one another.

Thanks to Dave & Bev for staying up past 10pm.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room at the front of the hotel on the 3rd or 4th floor.
3  Thank pjlloyd
UGOSolara, General Manager at Best Western Hotel La Solara Sorrento, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

We are very sorry for the way you describe the rooms of our hotel and the location.
Your reservation made through the Thomson Holidays was for a room with balcony, private bathroom and without a particular view. The room 124 had these requirements and was 15 square meters and very comfortable. Our staff always tries to satisfy the demands of our customers, but unfortunately it was very high season and we were not able to give an upgrade. We have also tried to please you by giving you the chance to change two other times even if you always found false reasons. It is not really fair to compare our hotel at a 3 star hotel in Blackpool / Bournmouth. Our customers love the location and the tranquility of our hotel therefore we are always full and it's hard to please guests who book rooms without a view and then claim an upgrade without paying an additional fee by the reservation. Our hotel is also chosen because it has only 50 rooms and personalized service. And 'again a lie to say that our hotel is like a retirement home because we have 3 days a week live music until 11.30 in the evening and after dinner our clients remain in our salons for their relax.
Thank you for your impressions of the good food , the spotlessly clean hotel and the friendly and helpful staff.
Thank you also for the suggestion to improve the atmosphere of the dining room with new lights and candles on the tables and it will be told our restaurant staff to ask our guests how they want to be positioned the chairs. We hope to have you back in our hotel we are at your disposal for further information.
Ugo Di Maio, General Manager