All reviews gala night free prosecco pool view evening meal weekly gala air con waiter service busy road pool bar train station fifth floor half board salad bar plenty of sunbeds main road lovely hotel floor tiles
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Firstly, we found chewing gum on the bed sheets on our first night - so they were either not changed or not cleaned properly. We thought this was bad enough and then we came back from the pool on our second day to find that my watch had been STOLEN from the hotel room. The reception staff were awful, rude, and unprofessional and never showed any empathy towards me even when I explained how upset I was due to the sentimental value of the watch. We were simply told that they trust their cleaners. To top it off the food was not buffet style, it was a set menu so if you don’t like certain things then you can’t eat. We have had to pay out every night to eat in nearby restaurants on top of what we had already paid for half board at the hotel. Do not stay here, there are many other lovely looking hotels in Sorrento!!

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cls933
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was our first holiday with a 5 month old baby and the best way to describe this hotel is Fawlty Towers.
Firstly, no cot available even though one was requested. When I complained we got one but it was broken. I cut my leg on it.
Secondly, I asked for a kettle and was told none were available and to use the bar. When I questioned as to if the bar would be open through the night as I needed it for by baby's medicine I suddenly got a kettle. Reception staff are very rude.
Thirdly, we got stuck in the lift twice. So did other people. Reception staff laughed!
Fourthly, food is average. Breakfast fine but dinner poor quality. The salad bar is left overs from the previous night. Meat dishes are poor. Tui refunded the meals so we could eat out instead....much better option!
Fifthly, pool area does not open until 0900! When you have been up since 0400 with a baby it would be nice to sit around the pool a little earlier before the sun gets really hot! I didn't want to swim but just sit. There is also no shaded areas, which is great for sunbathers (usually me) but not if you have kids. You can sit in the bar but you have to order something particularly during lunch period. The inside bar is very hot as it is glass with blinds.
The best thing about this hotel was the wonderful housekeeper. She sorted the cot out for us, got our leaky sink repaired and offered great advice for our day trips.The hotel is also in a great location, 15 mins for the centre and 10 mins to the train station.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This hotel is well located, with only 15 minutes walk to the square and the old town. The train station is about 10 mins walk. Very convenient for buses and tours. The hotel itself has a lovely pool, although the sunbeds are much to be desired; backs not long enough and only one slanting position or flat. We were 3 of us, so had to have a room at the front. We couldn't sit on the balcony, because of the fumes from the petrol station opposite. Traffic could be noisy at times, but the thick windows concealed much of it. The 3rd bed was a couch, with faux leather covering which rucked up. Only a thin sheet was put on top! I had to ask for a topper, but got a woolen blanket.. that was worse. Also considering we were 3, toiletry replacements were a bit haphazard. Reception not that helpful, not sure that they fully understood English. Breakfast was excellent. Loads of fresh fruit, choice of cerials, extra dried fruit & pastries. Eggs & sausages but I didn't try these. They often had left overs from dinner the night before, but didn't have a problem with this... better than wasting it all. Dinner 3 courses, but always a lovely self service salad bar prior to starter, which I really enjoyed. Usually choice of 3 things for each course and often different types of pasta or fish. Far too much for me and ended up asking for half portions. On the Friday they had a gala dinner where everyone has dinner together. First they come round for drinks orders and then give you sparkling wine for free... so worth not ordering! A lot of the free drinks were wasted. Meal was very good but did take a long time to be served.. too many people. Waiters were lovely, friendly and helpful. Would I go back? I am not sure. It was good value and the pool was lovely on days between trips. N.B. Access to pool only via ladders, so not good for the very elderly.

Room tip: Back of the building
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank hookedcruiser
Reviewed June 14, 2019

The Hotel is of a good standard for Italy, do not expect the same 4 star standard of other countries. We have been to this area several times travelling independently and have had much worse hotels for a lot more money. The food is every bit as good as you will get in the local restaurants and the waiter service is a nice change from the bun fight buffet you get on most package Ho,idays. The wine is cheap, 15/20 euros but the beer and spirits are eye watering lay expensive, 8euros for a pint. There is no entertainment of any kind day or night so you need to go out into town after dinner. The only English channels on the tv are the news channels. Take a kettle etc, also no iron available. The rooms are clean, the staff are obliging. Michelle, an English girl, runs the bar very efficiently. Sandro on the desk is very helpful. The pool is a good size and towels are provided. Rooms at the front get the sun all day but are directly on the main road and the view is of a petrol station and car wash. The bed was hard as a rock, but that is a personal preference, some people like a hard bed and you can’t please everyone.
It is conveniently located for the station and the centre of town and there is a very good bar a couple of doors away. Having been to this area several times before I consider this to be extremely good value for money however I personally prefer to be in a more cosmopolitan hotel rather than one that has about 90% Tui customers. If you just want a base from which to go out on trips exploring every day then this would be a good choice.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank GosportTopsy
Reviewed June 12, 2019

At first glance The Grand Flora Hotel looks “ Grand “ but it’s a faded grandeur. The rooms have very little hanging or draw space and are quite dated.
The restaurant is quite nice but spoilt by the unprofessional waiters, who talk loudly the whole time even when serving you, there is no tap water only bottled ( for a charge) which arrives already opened which made us think it was tap water all along. The food is okay, nothing special but again spoilt , this time by dirty plates.
The overall impression of the restaurant was everything is too much trouble.