Unless you can get a really good rate (we payed 100 Euros per double, which is rather good), I could not warmly reccomend this hotel due to the uninviting bathrooms and general run down conditions of the guest rooms. They are in dire need of a re-fit.
The elavator did not work in our part of the hotel.
The hotel insists that everyone wears swim-caps in the pool (salt water), which one can buy from the pool-boy for 3 Euros.
The snack-bar at the beach area - reachable by stairs or tiny elevator - offers a decent lunch and good coffee. The small hotel beach is right next to a yacht marina and the busy main ferry docks.
What in general puzzled us most was that the attitude of the staff - and thus the owners/management - alle seemed relatively uninterested in running good a hotel. What has clearly been a great 4 star hotel is slowly turning in to a 3 star - at best - and few seems to care or take interest. Very strange, since it could be such a nice place.
One almost hopes that a leading hotel chain will buy the Europa Palace Grand Hotel, and pour some of their resources into it, to restore it to what it was, or could be. If so, they could double the price (or more), and it would be worth it.
The hotels force is of course its great location. It is very close to Sorrento's main square, and the views from the hotel at sunset are simply wonderful. Sipping a drink at the terrace before dinner is amazing, with its splendid view of the bay and Vesuv. Strange then, that the hotel and staff does not make more of this. Slow and moderately interested waiters, and no effort from the management to advertise or make this terrace an "it" place. Would be so easy.
Also, the breakfast is excellent (for Italy) and is served on the patio, with its great view. The breakfast staff actually smiled!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Europa Palace Grand Hotel is located in the heart of Sorrento, behind Lauro square and just 5 minutes walking from the main square of Sorrento: Tasso square. With a panoramic pool overlooking the Gulf of Naples and private beach access, the Europa Palace is an excellent location for banquets and wedding parties. Bar, a la carte restaurant and a snack bar by the swimming pool complete the hotel's offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity and Cancelon so you can book your Europa Palace Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Europa Palace Grand Sorrento
- Hotel Europa Palace Grand