“Delightful Stay at Europa Palace Sorrento, Italy” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Europa Palace Grand Hotel

Europa Palace Grand Hotel
Ranked #55 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
California
“Delightful Stay at Europa Palace Sorrento, Italy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Visiting the Amalfi Coast was a dream come true. Our stay at the Europa Palace was one of the highlights of our stay in Italy. We were booked for a city view room and were given a delightful bay view for the same price. What a view. A few names I want to mention are Salvatore, Antonio and Mario. We were treated royally and want to thank them. It was a terrific stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank glory49ca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

The hotel is greatly located some 5min walk from the train station walking in a straight line towards the sea passing through a small piazza and a garden. It is a majestic building dating late 19th century with high ceilings and beautiful terrace garden and they have some beautiful pieces of furnishings in the common areas but this is where everything stops as:

1. The hotel is positioned on the cliffs above the port which starts it’s activity soon after 7am meaning your well deserved rest in the holiday bed will have to be delayed until you go back home. The noises are so bad with one boat coming or going that even closing the simple balcony doors will not suffice
2. Dreaming of using the swimming pool? Dream on, as is situated right near the port and the noise could be worse than up on the cliffs where the hotel is
3. The breakfast area is in a beautiful ball room and the staff is welcoming and friendly, however the menu is rather anaemic and what a pity the juices are not as good as the ones you can buy in any café in Sorrento
4. My room itself did not have any carpets which meant the cold marble floors affected my back straight away; no sleepers were provided either but I found a very thick bath gown in the bathroom to hide in
5. The double bed was actually two single beds put together which meant one cannot but sleep on one side of the bed. The TV screen was very small and only the news channels in English. No kettle to make a cuppa in the room, no iron but some anaemic toiletries in the bathroom. Ancient taps at the sink, just like the key entry system.
6. I accessed my room 206 which I booked more than 1 month earlier directly with the hotel and for which I paid 210 euros per night as a solo traveller via a beautiful hallway, but not carpeted which meant I could hear people walking or talking and thank God the hotel was not packed with screaming teenagers or full, despite the receptionist claiming otherwise. My email request was for a top floor room as I sleep very light and I hear everything leaving me awake for hours and indeed I could hear the heels on the above floor as well as could hear conversations in the bathroom coming from the floor above or maybe below. The reception said will try it’s best to accommodate my wishes which normally means ‘come to our hotel as we need your money but we will give you second best if somebody else comes and pays more as they will stay longer’.
7. As the hotel is square shaped, it means the smaller rooms (only seven rooms per floor face the sea and are bigger) will mainly face the busy road that separates the hotel from the little gardens

But most annoyingly, after arriving mid morning only to drop my luggage and get on with my day around Amalfi coast and despite exchanging emails and calling them to ensure everything will be perfect and paying this high rate only for sleeping several hours in the hotel, I met this male receptionist who said they cannot accommodate my wishes. Asking them why I have this problem only in this part of the world, another receptionist called Loredana who took on the conversation and kept going on and on, not letting me finish my sentences replied: ‘if you do not like the Neapolitan way, then GO AWAY’!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could not believe what I was hearing, the worst customer service encounter I have ever had in my life. And I was subjected to this from the very first 5min I arrived at the hotel only to drop my luggage. Should I have decided to go to a cheaper hotel, surely they would have charged my credit card and blame me for this lady’s bad attitude. All Italians I met later in Sorrento and Capri, as well as the English people I spoke with, could not believe that a receptionist can speak like this. Everyone agreed though, this lady should be fired if the hotel cares about it’s customers. The next day, the male receptionist said ‘sorry’ when he heart how bad I slept. I am not sure though if he apologised for his colleague and the way she spoke to me. After all he was present there when she was so rude to me and I have never heard her apology.

Conclusions: I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone: high price but no quality, noises from the port, one of the world worst‘ receptionist who surely needs to retrain. Maybe this lady will improve, by contrast, her attitude towards future customers, older customers or customers with children. But don’t we all deserve the same kind of respect, courtesy and customer service for which anyway I paid a high amount? I would definitely give the hotel a higher score based on it’s grandeur but is dragged down by this receptionist’ attitude.

Room Tip: Pay extra for sea view, but you will have to be woken up after 7am with noises coming from the port...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank TERRAvelista
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel itself was beautiful -- it's common areas and exterior spaces. It had a gorgeous terrace overlooking the Bay of Napoli and Mt. Vesuvius. It was also well located -- walking distance to restaurants and shops, etc. However, cleanliness is not one of the hotel's virtues, nor is service. In fact service was most unfriendly and unaccommodating. The food was lousy -- watery eggs, watery juices, and often stale baked goods. WiFi is featured as free, however, for our first 2 days it wasn't available (they didn't exactly seemed concerned about that); as for the other 2 days, we needed to pay for it. So, all in all, the 8 of us who stayed there, will not be doing it again.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, you need to book a better room. If you complain that your room is unsatisf...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Woodbridge, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed at this hotel after a visit we made to the restaurant one evening 2 years ago, and fell in love with the view and the overall ambiance. The dinner was outside on the patio overlooking the sea and Naples...spectacular. The waiters were very accommodating to us and we weren't even guests at this hotel.
We booked the Europa this year on our visit to Sorrento and stayed in their luxury suite in the 500 series rooms. The room was presidential in stature and very over the top. We had 3 balconies , massive washroom, king size bed and a huge living room area. This suite was definitely done up for royalty. However, her majesty must have been very skinny as the shower was very tight for such a stately washroom.
The furniture in our suite was well chosen for the look and finished the room perfectly. The king size bed was very comfortable and the pillows were very good for Italian standards. The hotel was clean and very impressive with statues and art everywhere. The front staff were very friendly and professional.
Unfortunately, the breakfast staff in the dining room, weren't so friendly. In addition, the same arrogant waiter I spoke to in the morning was the same waiter I spoke to in the evening when I questioned him on the menu. As a result we never ate dinner at the hotel. To make matters worse the patio was closed for no particular reason. This was the original reason for staying at this hotel as we wanted to experience a nice dinner with a breathtaking view.
Overall the experience was good.

Room Tip: Take an oceanview room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlsViper
Cape Town, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

We based ourselves in Sorrento to explore the Amalfi coast and then move onto Capri, a very convenient choice. This hotel is in a sensational position, right on the front/ rocks, with its own beautiful pool way below( accessed by a lift through the rocks, wow ) and its own jetty for sunbathing and swimming in the sea, all really fantastic... and it is a 2 minute walk from Piazzo Tasso, the main square. The views are simply breathtakingly beautiful, from the Isle of Capri on the left right across the Bay of Naples, with Vesuvius straight ahead. The sea view rooms and terraces of the hotel offer these spectacular views and the sunsets are out of this world as one sips a cocktail.
But the hotel itself, although very impressive on arrival, is tired with somewhat rundown rooms and passages in places, Our sea view room had a lovely little balcony and the bed and linen were ok, the bathroom spacious but with a wierd shower glass which caused the floor to get wet constantly. Bedroom cupboard doors were chipped and one was broken in part.
Breakfast is served on a spectacular terrace, with simply stunning views but the breakfast itself for a 4 star hotel was v average. Canned fruit ( why when theres so much fresh fruit available in the area??? ) was awful and my choice on one morning was clearly off....just terrible. Scrambled egg is accompanied by vienna suasages, beside bacon and bland tomatoes etc.....but viennas, please no! Juice was seriously watered down, an insult when one is paying a fair amount for a room....rather charge 5 Euros more for the room and dont dilute the juice. But the breakfast setting is superb so we sort of overlooked all that.
The staff are a little indifferent, our welcome on a Saturday evening was all about how we werent allowed to park on their premises, we ended up wasting an hour in the manic traffic searching for parking in town, all garages were full so after an hour we parked in their parking area thanks to a more obliging manager. A waste of a good part of our first evening.
The hotel is very popular for weddings and with a wedding in progress when we arrived, it was v busy with even a fireworks display right in front a little later.
This hotel is superbly located in Sorrento, one couldnt do better for convenience and close proximity to all types of transport to the rest of Amalfi Coast, for ferries to Capri etc ( literally below the hotel ) for proximity to shops and tourist areas but it seriuosly needs some refurbishing and upgrading. It could be an absolute gem if it were rescued from the time warp its caught in and if some of the staff cheered up.
For location we'd definately recommend but dont go expecting fabulous rooms and outstanding service.

Room Tip: A sea view room is a must, those views are breathtaking from first thing in the morning to ones last...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Coconut Creek, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Hotel was good and view was amazing. I just returned from a trip from the Amalfi coast and spent a few days in Sorrento. The hotel view is amazing. It overlooks the ocean and has a dock in which you can lay out and jump in the water. The pool and dock area closed at 6pm which was not convenient but there is an elevator which takes you from the hotel down through the mountain to the pool and dock area which is really cool. The staff was great and helpful. The restaraunt was okay - not the best food you can get in Italy but breakfast was included with our room. There is a terrace overlooking the ocean as well where you can have a cocktail and watch the sunset. The rooms are clean...the bathroom is small but this is very typical in European hotels I have found and honestly as long as it clean, I usually don't spend much time in the hotel when visiting Europe. It is close to shopping and restaraunts as well. I would recommend this hotel as a place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the ocean - most of the rooms have a view that overlooks the ocean but the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Beachfan26
Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

When we first arrived to this magnificient hotel with its amazing location overlooking the beach we were totally amazed the view was breathtaking . The rooms
Were very nice, comfortable beds ,two balconys, tv ... The one thing we hated was the shower, it was clean and everything but it was really small. The hotel has a wonderful pool and a private beach which you can access for
Free with any room . And no need for towels you just have to ask the waiter and he'll bring you as many as you want . On the otherside of the hotel there is this cute small park which you will find after crossing it small local shops and restaurants. The breakfast and dinner were great everything we tasted was fantastic

• Stayed August 2012