“First of many visits (I hope!)”

Grand Hotel Riviera
Ranked #18 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed July 21, 2006

On arrival at Naples airport, I was seriously worried I'd made a mistake in persuading my husband into our first holiday in Italy!
Wasn't at all prepared for the shabbiness of Naples, and for the first part of the taxi journey I tried to reasure myself - surely so many people couldn't be wrong in telling me Sorrento was beautiful!
Well - we arrived after a ride of an hour or so ( yes indeed scary at times!). The hotel is about the first one we came to in Sorrento, so it is a little way from the action, with narrow pavements and busy (narrow )road. Saying that it is walkable,(about 10 mins) even for a teenage daughter who would have taken taxi each time if we'd agreed!!! The nearest supermarket is in the centre, so we were limited in what we could carry back, especially in the heat of the day. We took a taxi back after a night out and it cost 13euros for a 2 min ride.
The hotel is set in a beautiful location, and is just as shown on their website. Check in was friendly ,and took about 2 minutes. First impession was very good , modern and clean!
We had a first floor suite, overlooking the bay (room 110) which was spotlessly clean, and fresh. From what I could see, we had a much bigger balcony than the other rooms. The bed was superking size and comfy, our daughter had a bed settee which wasn't quite as comfy!! Think it was worth extra for sea view, as some rooms were overlooking car park or the side of the hotel which were right over the field of fruit trees next door (sounds pretty, but balconies were in the shade). Lovely to sit out each morning before breakfast watching the cruise ships anchor right opposite our room.
Bathroom was modern, big with good supply of towels,
toiletries a bit of a let down, but adequate supply daily.
Breakfast was nice, amazed at first at the size of plates provided - side plates for everything! And considering the number of orange trees we saw, couldn't believe how horrible the pretend orange juice was!
We ate lunch each day at the terrace bar. Good choice of menu, reasonably priced, and freshly prepared. (Pizza was fab!!).Claudio and Illary provided a warm service, always with a smile.
We ate dinner a few times in the hotel, only a set menu which was a surprise, but each time it was most enjoyable - watching the sunset in airconditioned surroundings - bliss!
The lift down to 'beach' wasn't as scary as I'd feared, taking just under a minute, and well worth it to make the most of the lovely sea breeze!
Good mix of ages there, but due to location think it's more suited to people looking for rest and relaxation.
After a week, we left totally relaxed, and already planning our return visit.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
6  Thank CAROLF55
Write a ReviewReviews (1,253)

Reviewed June 9, 2006

I traveled alone from the US to visit many cities within Italy and I have to say that Sorrento and the Grand Hotel Riviera is on the top of my favorites list. The hotel was quiet despite the very bustling town nearby. The staff was very pleasant and hepful, although the room (single) was a bit small. Breakfast was the best that I experienced in my many stops in Italy and set a high standard for my subsequent stops. The sunsets from the terrace can't be beat. I can't wait to return to Sorrento and the Grand Hotel Riviera.

4  Thank Julie K
Reviewed May 25, 2006

My husband and I and our 16 month old son stayed here for a long weekend in May 2006. We opted for the half board option because our plan was to put the baby to sleep and then enjoy ourselves with a lovely meal in the hotel restuarant every evening (more on the restaurant later!) Firstly a little bit about the feel of the hotel. It's very much a hotel that is frequented by the large tour operators from the UK and Germany and when we were there the average age of the guests was 60+. If you are young and funky and like to go on holiday with like minded people this is probably not the place for you.
On a positive note, the hotel is pleasant and clean with a lovely bar that has great views over the Bay of Naples. My minor gripes with the hotel were that the rooms were very much on the small side and despite the room rates being fairly expensive already, the hotel seemed to make a lot of additional charges for the small things that you really should take for granted when staying in a 4* establishment. The sunbed example has already been cited on previous reviews, but even more astonishing was the 15 euros per night charge for a travel cot for our baby. All these gripes paled into insignificance however when compared with the standards in the hotel restaurant. The restaurant itself is in a huge cavernous room with strip lighting that completely lacks atmosphere. The service is overly brisk so that one feels rushed into bolting everything down within the shortest possble time. In our view it is the kind of overly pretentious place where one is expected to dress for dinner only to be served with the kind of food that a Little Chef would be ashamed of! The standard of the food was laughable consisting of , processed meats, sauces obviously from a pack and cheap and nasty icecream to name but a few things! The menu featured glasses of fruit juice for starters and dismal "fan of melon" and "prawn cocktail" type dishes. We felt that we had somehow been transported back into a particularly bad restaurant from the 1970s. In summary stay here if you can't find another 4 star hotel with better reviews but whatever you do, avoid the hotel restaurant at all costs!

3  Thank hampy9907
Reviewed May 24, 2006

Have just returned from 6 nights at the Hotel Riviera where we stayed on a B&B basis. From the moment we arrived I knew we had made a good decision. The hotel is charming, elegant and serene and I was so dissapointed when we had to leave. The whole place a lovely feel to it.

The entrance is a beautiful well kept garden with a sloping path to the reception (most of the other hotels on the walk into town are set right on the road - amasciatori, royal, europa etc). The reception is bright, airy and spotlessly clean. The staff are very efficient and helpful.

Our room (204) was tastefully decorated - white and pale green - making it bright and airy. The whole hotel has the same motive running through and it's this attention to detail that I notice!! We booked a partial sea view and I was expecting to overlook gardens with a limited side view of the sea. However, we faced the bay and the only limitation to the view was because we were set back in the U-bend of the hotel - ie we couldn't see the entire bay and vesuvius. The room was comfortable with plenty of storage space - my partner commented is was on the small side but seemed a fairly standard hotel room to me. The bathroom was a little tired but shower was great and it was always spotlessly clean.

Breakfast was lovely. Staff happy to help. Very good coffee and a great selection of breads, preserves, pastries, eggs, bacon, fresh fruit, ham, cheeses etc. The breakfast room is quite stunning. The view is amazing. Again, a real calm serenity about the place.

The pool area was great - thankfully we had wonderful weather during our stay. Bit cheeky that you have to pay for sunbeds (5 euro a day) but then this is normal in Italy. You do also have the option of using the free deck chairs. Again staff are only too happy to help. Area was always clean and tidy.

We had lunch at the hotel several times and always thoroughly enjoyed this. Simple fresh food was served and the service was always great. I read on another review of the hotel that glasses of wine weren't available - they were if you asked! Again the snack bar has a great setting overlooking the bay so you are surrounded by stunning views (and maybe even a cruise ship or two!)

The bar is a wonderful place to sit in the evening and watch the sun set - inside or out.

All in all we had a fantastic stay. It's a peaceful setting with a slow 10 minute walk into the Piazza Tasso. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Hotel Riviera. I would love to return soon. Perhaps next time we wouldn't pay the extra for the partial sea view as you are surrounded by stunning views at the pool, in the bar and in the restaurant and we spent very little time in our room.

I didn't find the hotel expensive. I would say it was similiar to the prices in the town and in Rome (where we had travelled from). Yes you can find bars where drinks prices are cheaper but you won't get the views or the comfort that you have at the riviera. I always say "you get what you pay for"!

12  Thank caz1506
Reviewed November 5, 2005

My husband and I spent 11 nights on honeymoon at the Riviera.
The hotel is in a good location, fairly quiet, set back off the road and a 5-10 minute walk into the centre of town. The views from the hotel across the bay of Naples are fantastic. We found the hotel spotlessly clean and the staff very polite, friendly and helpful. They all spoke excellent English (as well as several other languages). When we arrived there was Champagne and Fruit in our room (honeymooners treat!). We were staying on a Half Board basis, we arrived at 8.50pm we were told to either go straight to the dining room if we wanted a hot meal (last orders at 9pm) or we could have a cold meal in our room. We opted for the cold meal rather than rushing for dinner and we had a lovely platter of cold meats, cheese, bread and pickles followed by a dessert (along with our bottle of champagne).
We were slightly disappointed with our room, which was located immediately above the main entrance of the hotel. Although it wasn’t a major problem, when sitting on the balcony, or in the room with the doors open, everyone entering the hotel could see us and you could hear people chatting or rattling their cases across the cobbled entrance area. The doors kept out most noises, as did the electric shutters at night, however we were aware of rubbish bins being emptied at about 4am. The hotel will not move anyone into a sea view room without paying extra incase anyone who has payed the extra finds out. Fair enough. We found paying extra for things is the norm in Italy, e.g. 5 euros for sun loungers, 50c to use a toilet. Also be wary of restaurants placing a basket of bread on the table before your meal, you may find you are charged for this when you get your bill.
The hotel breakfast was buffet style and had everything from cereal & toast to cold meats, cheese, bacon, eggs, croissants and even left over gateau from the previous evenings meal.
The evening meal consisted of 3 courses, starters and main course had about 5 or 6 options each catering for everyone plus a good selection of desserts. We found the food to be very good, the starters were often very filling and managing all 3 courses was often a struggle! You could swap evening meal for lunch but you got the same 3 course meal, we did this one day and even though we skipped dessert, when we went to a Pizzeria in the evening I was still so full from lunch I couldn’t manage all my pizza!
The hotel was definitely aimed at newlyweds and older people in groups or celebrating anniversaries etc., virtually no kids. We would definitely recommend the Riviera to anyone visiting Sorrento.

22  Thank Caro
A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed October 24, 2005

I stayed at the Riviera Grand Hotel for the third time and everything was good as always.
The staff is very friendly and helpful, food great in a lovely restaurant, definitely recommend half board.
There is a lift from the hotel lobby, down through the cliff and directly to the beach and the gardens are beautifully landscaped with a large clean swimming-pool.
I would like to give a special mention and thank you to Mr. Giovanni (the Concierge), who looked after us while we were there. It was lovely to meet you and thank you for all your help.

I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Peacehaven UK
Reviewed October 1, 2005

The hotel it's self was wonderful. Polite staff, great food and ultra clean. Here comes the but. We stayed in room 121 and wouldn't advise anyone who likes their sleep to accept this room.

We were woken at midnight by rubbish being tipped into a refuse cart and again at 5am by deliveries. Not what you want on holiday.

Our garden view was a wire fence with grape vines over it and a few trees from the garden next door. There were also rats running down the side of the wall to the kitchen. I wouldn't go back there because of this!

• Stayed: September 2005
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorrento
Grand Hotel De La Ville Sorrento
#20 of 100 in Sorrento
Europa Palace Grand Hotel
Europa Palace Grand Hotel
#61 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Grand Hotel Riviera? Share your experiences!