“Luxurious Hotel”

Ranked #47 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Boston, Massachusetts
“Luxurious Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Hotel was very clean and luxurious. Reception staff were pleasant, very helpful and efficient. We enjoyed our stay there. Location was not the best as the neighbourhood not much to see.overall it was a positive experience.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank funtonyroti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Had such a great time staying this hotel. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The scenery was beautiful and I would definitely come back here anytime. Highly recommended , food was amazing. Always some entertainment. Had so much fun

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Jenn19888
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

I normally do not write many reviews but I am compelled ro do so for those who get trapped into this one.

We arrived at the hotel and initial appearances and service were ok but not 4 star. Maybe in the 1980s it was (and is still stuck in) but definitely not now. Albeit it is an Italian hotel and standards for basic room amenities are questionable all the way through Italy.

Our troubles started in the foyer when the unrulely smell of sewerage was overwhelming on Day 1. After working our way to our room with the dodgy lift we entered the room (345). It was spacious but outdated and lacked the basics for the 4-5 star price tag given to us.

We proceeded to use the wash basin with taps that were so eroded from cleaning fluids on the surface they appeared to be originals. The cold water tap refused to turn off and appeared to be cross threaded. A phone call and no response for the night. We reported it again the following morning with assurances it would be fixed.

Day 2 - Nothing fixed by the time we returned from our day trip. However the smell of sewerage was now in the corridors and in most of the lower building. It was terrible.

We got to our room and used the tap. It finally gave out. We reported it yet again and someone turned up with a pair of pliers (I am not a plumber - but please why bring pliers to fix a washer - I do not know why they did this). He looked at it and said we cannot turn your room water off we have turn off the building and it is too late. At 11:30 pm that night they said we can change rooms. Forget it. I will live with the noise for the night as we were checking out in the morning.

The hotel feels liked it was run on a super tight budget with no regard for the customer. To the point that I think the hotel had been sold and was in some kind of contract phase (ie spend nothing). Fixtures were terrible, colour schemes were 80s vomit pastel types and basic hotel amenties virtually non existent by todays standards.

It's only saving grace was the 3 star local club style food for breakfast and dinner. Not even the wifi for writing up this reviewed worked well.

It is such a shame as the hotel with some TLC can be really great and live up to its claimed 4 star rating.

As I write this today we have moved into the more expensive Possitano area, into a genuine 4 star hotel with modern facilities and many of the basics we seasoned travellers have come to expect. (Heavily recommend the Hotel Pasitea in Possitano)

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Peter E
Wellington Point, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

We had the suite and would have to say a bit of wasted space as the lounge part is quite dark and looked like an afterthought. The room, colour wise and furniture wise is very out dated, but we had great views, right in front, very pretty when the cruise ships are in port. The breakfast is average, but we never had dinner here. The hotel is very large, and lots of open space, a nice and clean swimming pool. The shuttle is OK, although we were stranded a few times not knowing what to do. The taxis are not cheap, we were charged about €25 to €30 euro for that little trip because the bus stops at lunch time, but doesn't start back up until about 3 or 4pm, something quite ridiculous. We would not stay here again because of the inconvenience and I did feel the cost of the room did not reflect the room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Debbie I
wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We were with a Gate 1 tour, and the hotel was excellent. The breakfast buffet was bountiful, the dinner was excellent. Room was modern and very comfortable. Had a little trouble with the TV but the staff cordially attended to it.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the Bay of Napoli
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank normWisconsin
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed here in late October and my experience was a little different than that of most of the other TripAdvisor reviewers because I was with a tour group called Naomi Tours.
Though the members of our tour group did use the shuttle to go shopping in Sorrento, I did not use it because I preferred to walk. I walked for miles in both directions--up the hill and down and yes, it was sometimes quite frightening with there being no sidewalks, almost no shoulders on the road and hairpin turns. But, I got to see the olive nets being put up to gather the olives at harvest-time and there were beautiful views of the water.
We had our own private buses pick us up to take us on tours and our own chefs in a private dining room (our meals were superb) so I cannot comment about the food.
The rooms we got were all facing the Bay of Naples and the views were magnificent.
The rooms themselves were large and had small refrigerators, a pants press and tiled floors. The mattress, bedding and pillows were not the standard I am used to (I favor Hilton properties and even Hampton Inns have much more comfortable beds.)
The bathroom had a nice bathtub, a bidet and room on the vanity to store toiletries.
The cleaning help did not once replace the shampoos and other items provided by the hotel upon initial arrival, though, and I was there for six days. They also did not replace the facial tissues, though there was adequate toilet paper.
The grounds of this hotel are lovely and the interior of the hotel is clean and very attractive.
The pool looked quite inviting but it was really too cold for me to swim in it in late October, even though I am from Toronto and the weather was sunny and pleasant.
There was a balcony with exercise equipment near the pool.
One thing that irked me tremendously was the lack of wifi connectivity for my computer.
There were two computers for guests to use near the front desk, but I had almost no connection to internet in my room.
Though not being tethered to a computer was relaxing to a certain extent, my computer was the main way my friends, relatives and workmates could get in touch with me in a foreign country and not having access to it was worrying. I lugged my computer all over the hotel because I was told some areas had better reception, but I did not find really reliable reception anywhere.
So, on the whole the hotel was a beautiful place to stay. the view from the room through the sliding door to my balcony was exquisite in the early morning and at sunset, the room was large and the fridge was a nice touch, but the bed was not particularly plush and the cleaning help could use some tips about replacing toiletries on a regular basis, the way other hotels do.
The hotel should seriously investigate providing wifi connectivity since they do advertise that they have it.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the ones that face the Bay of Naples. The views are fabulous from the balconies...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ShifraToronto
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times with groups, The hotel is big, with front facing rooms with views over the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius, and back facing rooms with views of lemon groves. Groups of kids stay in the back. Really good buffet breakfasts and dinners. There is a pool, but they usually close it by 6 pm. Staff all very friendly and helpful. You can walk into town, but on a windy road with no shoulder or sidewalk. There is a shuttle, but I never used it. The hotel is large and rambling, but all in all, a good choice if you're looking for views.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank fabiolina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorrento
Conca Park Hotel
Grand Hotel Capodimonte
Grand Hotel Capodimonte
#28 of 100 in Sorrento
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,184 reviews

Been to Grand Hotel Vesuvio? Share your experiences!