“Definitely not a 4 *”

Ranked #50 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Vancouver, Canada
“Definitely not a 4 *”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I booked 5 nights after reading other reviews and was disappointed. This hotel is tired, lacks character and needs a good cleaning and updating. Luckily, the staff are friendly and helpful.

We booked a sea view room with balcony and glad we did as the view made up for the rest. The shuttle to the centre of Sorrento was also a plus, although it could run more often.

Check in was efficient, but no bell service was available.

The room was large, dated and in a need of good clean up. Bed was comfortable, but the linen was old (my pillow case had holes in it) and the pillows were hard and lumpy.

The bathroom left a lot to be desired: black moldy grout, most towels are the size and material of table napkin and the most inefficient hair dryer ever.

The breakfast was pretty poor for the hotel of this size and rating: some baked goods, cereal, cheese and ham, and scrambled eggs.

This place was full of all-inclusive guests and I can only hope they didn't pay too much as a lot of them left the hotel to eat out (based on how busy the shuttle bus was).

Check out was friendly and efficient and we received a lovely gift of local olive oil - thank you.

I wouldn't rate it as a 4 star property and would not recommend it.

Room Tip: If you book, go for the seaview room.
1 Thank DanusiaM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Tadworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We have just returned from 4 nights at the Grand Vesuvio. It was our honeymoon and we mailed ahead and asked for a sea view, they did reply that it wasnt guaranteed and we could pay to upgrade to sea view, so we took the chance and risked it and have to say I think we had the best view ever!! Was stunning! Yes the room was a little dated Shower a bit small, yes the breakfast doesnt have much choice and yes there are a lot of elderly residents! BUT having children, this was lovely for us, so peaceful and we still chatted away to other residents! The rooms are kept spotlessly clean, as is the pool area (if only the pool could be warmer!!) We had lunch here a couple of days which was nice! We were only B and B, so were out most days! Its by no means perfect, but we were on a budget and to be honest it was lovely and fine, not sure what some people expect!!! I dont think i would do all inclusive here though!! Shutlte bus to Sorrento is good, gets busy so get there in plenty of time!! Sorrento is gorgeous...go eat at the Foreigners Club down near the harbour...gorgeous place, food and views!! We also travelled by train to Pompeii, which was easy..but do get a guide once you are there!! Also did Capri by Ferry. We found our stay here really pleasant, gorgeous spot! Yes its a little out the way,but you have the free bus, and it is so worth it for the peaceful views!!!! We would definitely stay here again! 4 days was not long enough!!! Am already missing the evening drinks on the terrace with that stunning view!!!

Room Tip: Request a sea view as these are stunning and not sure the other side has such nice views!!
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Have just returned from a very nice break in Italy, staying at the above Hotel, the view's were wonderfull right across the bay of Naples, staff very helpfull, the only down side to staying there, was that we were rather cut of from the centre of Sorrento, road outside Hotel not good for walking down. Food quite good, but at breadfast it would have been nice to have more choice.
Good Value for money. But won't be going back.

1 Thank christine H
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Lovely hotel. Went there for 8 days in September 2012. Plenty big, clean, nicely decorated, fairly 'old' residents (mostly english) meant little noise from kids, though there was a bit of piano noise / Vera Lynn / Frank Sinatra in the bar area of an evening.

Breakfast was pretty much the same every morning which got a bit boring after 8 days, even though the quality and selection were good.

It's quite a way out of Sorrento but the shuttle service was very good.

I agree with some of the reviews saying that the hotel was a bit clinical / retirement home but what's the problem with that? All the other guests were very polite, quiet and well-behaved. I'm 39 by the way!

Book it - you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-facing room. Go up to the sun terrace on the 5th floor - ace views and deserted.
Hampshire
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Not sure why I am writing this review especially as I see that First Choice are pulling from this place, which I can understand. The Vesuvio is a nice hotel, very big, yes upgrading to a sea view room is good, beautiful views! What lets this place down big time is their interpretation of 'all inclusive', there are too many do's and don'ts on this board basis..... given a list of drinks you can only have as all inclusive, cannot eat outside on the terrace with the beautiful views unless you pay. People have mentioned staff names, but I never heard any of the staff calling each other or certainly not introducing themselves to us by name, not friendly at all, until our last night when they obviously expecting tipping! Bar staff were only interested in serving you if you were a 'paying guest with cash' we were all inclusive, we still paid, up in advance! Our room was big, clean and the room maids did a brilliant job. Food was good, but not enough choice, we have stayed all inclusive previously in Sorrento which that experience was wonderful compared to this, a choice of 2 puddings! And when asked if I could have a little of each - got totally ignored! There is no toaster for breakfast, never was told about the egg option travelling home! Please take a hairdryer, as the ones in the bathroom are rubbish took me an age to dry my hair!

Although we had quite a few gripes there are so many things this hotel could improve on, being friendly, candles on the tables outside or even lighting, proper hand towels instead of cut up sheets, its all the finishing touches! We did have a wonderful time here and as I said the food was good, but just not enough choice for the 4 star hotel it claims to be. It was pretty obvious the staff were coming to the end of the season with their lack of interest in the guests!

I would go to Sorrento for a 3rd time, however, not certain if I would stay here again - can see why unfortunately that First Choice are pulling away from this hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade to sea view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DEEKHampshire
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The room was clean with a fantastic view but that is as good as it got unfortunately.

The food was truly awful. We had breakfast and lunch there. Heaven help you if you're on an all inclusive package...which they offer. This could be the reason for the bad food as they cook everything in huge amounts - just like school dinners. Even the crisps I had with a club sandwich were stale. The chips were just fat and oil with no traces of potato.

The hotel is popular with the over 60s so kind of feels like a retirement home more than a hotel. Saga must have shares in this place! As a young couple (29 years old), it wasn't our cup of tea.

We cut short our stay here and moved to a different hotel in town.

2 Thank DaveLondon20
Heathfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I departed from this hotel this morning after one week. I did not stay "all inclusive" but from reading previous reviews it seems that those guests have a better experience than traditional visitors:
* one point I completely agree with is the cleanliness of the rooms and the cleaning staff - both excellent
* I stayed as part of a tour group with my wife, on a half board basis. We both happen to be vegetarian, we found the restaurant staff surly and disinterested. The menu was not a la carte, but table d'hote. Vegetarian options were supposedly indicated by an asterisk, but reading across the four language versions was the source of confusion. Courses which were vegetarian in one language were not necessarily the same in another! Last night's menu had asparagus soup (in English, with an asterisk) yet the German equivalent was "mit Schinken" (ham) without an asterisk!
* dinner on Thursdays and Sundays comprises a buffet, enthusiastically received by some earlier reviewers. Vegatarian options consisted of melon, dehydrated salad and one "hot" choice of macaroni cheese
* on trying to get a drink at the bar at lunchtime on Monday, I was told I couldn't have one until 1pm, but when the money in my hand was noticed I was told "you're not all inclusive? OK you can have drinks"
* on checking out this morning, the man at reception did not utter one word. He just printed out my account and handed the credit card machine to me. No customer service NVQ obviouslly!

This is a grim place, too far for most people to walk to Sorrento and apart from the cleaners has staff who couldn't care less and/or are not interested. Not recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms without a sea view overlook a scruffy back yard and lemon grove
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Robin Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorrento
Grand Hotel Aminta
Best Western Hotel La Solara
Conca Park Hotel
Conca Park Hotel
#38 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Grand Hotel Vesuvio? Share your experiences!