“Mostly good thing to say!”

Art Hotel Gran Paradiso
Ranked #40 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We chose the gran paradiso over other hotels for its views, knowing that other central hotels wouldnt have such easy access to the sunsets and views.

What you gain in views you sacrifice in location. The hotel is not close to the town centre and up a hill. There is a fairly regular bus service that ships you around but this doesnt run in the early afternoon and after 11pm. So if you miss the 1pm one or stay out later than 11pm you're left with an expensive taxi fare or a walk back.

I walked up the hill 4 times and back from town once. The walk up the hill isnt that bad (but I am a relatively fit 31 year old) but i didnt enjoy the walk back form town at all. The pavement was narrow, cars and scooters were noisy and whizzed by and the road just seemed to go on and on.

So anyone wanting to stay out in sorrento past 11pm would need to steer clear of this hotel.

On the plus the terrace by the pool and views at night were ample company and I didnt feel like I missed out on much by not being in sorrento every night.

The hotel itself is a bit past its best, the exterior is a bit odd, and elements of the rooms and decor need modernising. It seems that rather than re decorating the whole hotel and bringing it upto date, they instead chose this "Patron of the Local Arts" tag and stuck modern art everywhere. It still means you have out of date furniture and decor in your rooms. But to be honest I am not bothered by stuff like that, my room was clean and tidied well so I was happy.

In our opinions, given the hotels great views, the hotel would be made amazing by spending some serious money modernising it all and making it feel quite special.

The pool area was very nice, amazing views and well kept. It was very nice wathcing the sun go down in the distance over a bottle of local prosecco.

As I say above the hotel was clean and tidy in all areas. The staff were helpful and smiled, (most of the time!) - the waiters too were pleasant. The food was fine considering it was made en-mass. It sometimes looked at a bit 'slop' ish but I thought it was always tasty. The menu choice was good and service was always quick and efficient. Breakfast was good too - selection of meats and cheese, yoghurts, eggs and bacon, toast and james cerals and patries. Plus their brewed coffee was to die for. I don't drink coffee in England coz its mostly freeze dried crap or weak and overpriced - but the stuff they served was amazing!

Overall I like the fact that they made an effort with everything. Its not a 4 star hotel by the standards you expect in England, its more a 3 star hotel - but anyone who has been abroad on a package deal knows that these gradings are a little generous.

If we came back to sorrento we would happily stay here again. The views and peaceful, location far outweighed the negatives.

If the hotel was within walking distance to sorrento it would be perfect.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lju00dt
HGRANPARADISO, Manager at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear lju00dt,

Thank you for staying at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso and for sharing your opinions about your stay.

I am sorry if our shuttle bus s ervice did not suit Your expectations, it has been studied to match the need of our Guests (trains etc.).

I would like to inform you that apart form the art exposition the changes every year, we are renewing step by step the hotel decor and interiors and also the room bathrooms, but the renovations take place in wintertime as during that period the hotel is closed for this reason.

I hope that during your next stay togheter with us, we will be able to rise Your perception.

I hope to welcome you again very soon at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso.

Yours sincerely,

Alberto

Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have just returned from the Grand Paradiso hotel Sorrento, after spending what can only be described as a perfect weeks holiday.
The hotels location is perfect, high on a mountainside with extensive views over the town and out over the Bay of Naples.
The hotel is ver well run, the staff are extremely pleasent and very helpful, nothing is too much trouble. The food is good and well presented, and always a good choice of menue. The rooms are spacious and and the whole hotel is very clean. I would certainly have no problem in recommending this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The rooms on three sides all have excellent views, I travelled with seven friends and between us we...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Harry L
HGRANPARADISO, Manager at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear Harry L,

Thank you for staying at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso.

It is a pleasure for me and all the Team to read that You have enjoied your stay with us, this is the most important for us.

I hope to welcome You again in our hotel during your next visit in Sorrento.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was our first visit to Italy and we were so excited. Had to get up in the early hours to catch a flight, so it was 12 hours later, lunch time when we arrived only to be greeted by a less than friendly member of staff who didn't welcome us at all. Bearing in mind we had booked, I had emailed the hotel twice and the last time a day or so earlier giving our ETA, AND they were expecting us, she just asked if we have a reservation! We were told our room wasn't ready (I except this, sometimes they aren't) and we were invited to take lunch by the pool and that she would let us know when the room was available (not long). After lunch I went back to reception and asked her if the room was now ready (we were exhausted) to be told that it was. When we get to the room, which had a lovely view over the bay, which we had paid extra for, but alas no balcony, perhaps I didn't pay enough extra, there wasn't a key to the safe. We had to go back to reception to ask for the key and then it was handed over. The bed was super comfortable and when we weren't disturbed by inconsiderate guests we both slept well. The bathroom was adequate but the bath and shower over it a little cramped. There was useful fridge one room and plenty of storage and the use of pool towels and free slippers, which was nice touch. The views were superb and the pool lovely albeit a little cold. The staff in the dining room for breakfast and the two evening meals we had there were lovely, all very friendly and helpful and Nanna the lovely waitress who served us by the pool for lunches and drinks was charming. For the evening meal there was a set menu or al la carte, but when we went into the dining room only the set menu appeared. One evening we went in wanting the al la carte, but were told it was only the Gala dinner menu available. We didn't want the Gala menu and by then had missed the free shuttle bus into town and it was a bit of a walk, so we hitched a lift into town and had very nice meal in a local restaurant. On another occasion, we fancied the al la carte, so I asked at reception, the same lady who had checked us in, if we could have the al la carte if we didn't want the set menu. She looked at me as if I was stupid and said "of course" WELL WE COULDN'T ON THE GALA NIGHT!!!! And this was NOT clear at all!! There wasn't any info in the room, so it took us a while to realise that the air con only worked if the window was shut. We used the free shuttle service several times and Mariano the bus driver deserves a medal. He is so patient and has to be with the traffic up and down the road to the hotel where there isn't much room for manoeuvre. He was very punctual as well, but the hotel info wasn't very clear about where to meet the bus of an evening by the supermarket. The lady who checked us in, gave us a map but the circle that she drew around the location had a radius of several streets, so it was only by chatting to other guests that we realised where we had to meet the bus, and we told anther guests when they arrived as they weren't sure either. The location does need to be pointed out more clearly. Viviana at reception was lovely and always greeted us with a smile but generally we felt reception was very impersonal. The ladies that cleaned the room were friendly and always said hello. Although this isn't the fault of the hotel but I had to get up at 6am one morning to tell some guests who were checking out to be quiet, they were talking at the tops of their voices and there was a lot of banging of doors and generally inconsideration to people who were still asleep at both ends of the day. We did have a lovely holiday but won't be returning.

Room Tip: Do ask for a room overlooking the bay, and I assumed we would get a balcony, but we didn't, so i...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Val9401
HGRANPARADISO, Manager at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam Val9401,

I am sorry if our hotel was not up your expectations.

I am sorry to read that it was not possible to eat a different menu during the Gala night.

It is possible to have different meal, than the set menu of Gala night,, but you can also choose only one dishe of the set menu. We do not oblige to take the whole menu. I will work hard in order to make this clead.

I hope to have an other chance during your next visit to Sorrento.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 17, 2012

can only echo previous guests comments about the views , my 1st time in sorrento and absolutely not the last purely stunning views from room 410( side sea view ) as for hotel : ive travelled extensively and stayed in better hotels but the welcome , sevice levels and housekeeping standards are second to none here , the hotel is kept immaculately clean the restaurant waiters totally attentive and michel and his bar team are great company all adds up to a great holiday , yes the art is a bit funky but not offensive in any way just another reason to avoid a mainstream tourista hotel ! the complimentary shuttle bus to town is great fun , how he gets that big merc bus up and down the hill is still beyond me ! walked up and down the hill a couple of times definately not for the faint hearted or infirm ! if i have a complaint its the whistle from the air con units above our room as we were on top floor and directly underneath them and the showers are very small but apparently these issues are both in hand and will be resolved before next season .these gripes are pretty irrelevent as we slept , showered , and got dressed in our room and thats all as we couldnt wait to get back to the food , drinks , views , walks ,and general ambience of the whole experience of gran paradiso and st agnello / sorrento in general . in short go there and experience it yourself you wont be dissapointed !

Room Tip: side sea view has both coast and mountain view , room 410 has largest outside terrace
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank clive w
HGRANPARADISO, Manager at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear clive w,

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions.

I would like to tell you that we are processing the renovations of the showers on the 4th floor, it will be a pleasure for me to show it to You during your next visit at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, Sorrento.

With my best regards,

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I think it's all been said already about the location. Embrace it! The views are awesome and the bus service is great. We walked down a few times, but never up!
On arrival, with a 9pm check-in, staff were friendly and attentive. We weren't booked for dinner, but seeing we were tired, they offered, even though dining-room closing. (we didn't accept,but offer kind). We'd booked sea view and we were assured we had this.
Room 301 is a very small room with a side sea view, on the Sorrento (west) side and has a huge terrace (2 sun beds a sofa and coffee table). I think ok if you are sun worshippers with very light luggage, but we asked for a bigger room. Hotel full, so we arranged this the next day. All sorted in a few moments, it wasn't too much trouble. Thank you, Massimo! Room 213 on Saint Agnello (east) side. Small terrace and side sea view, but this time a view of Vesuvius too. Room very spacious and a much more modern decor. Double-size walk-in shower. It was perfect.
Breakfast good. We never had cooked items. Breads, yogurts, juices, coffee. Never used the machine coffee, always the pot brought to the table. Do get there well before 10am to ensure choices still available.
Particular characters i'll remember - the singing waiter, evening barman and of course the ginger cat!
I've dreamed of going to this region for years. This hotel was an ideal base and we'd choose it again in a heartbeat - if we get the bigger room!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear subzeronell,

Thank you for your kind review and for telling that our hotel was a good base for visiting the area.

I hope to have the chance to welcome you again at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso during your next stay in Sorrento.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel on our first ever trip to Italy. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this friendly, comfortable hotel. The staff were great and the food was very good and during our 10 night stay we never had the same thing twice!! The views from the hotel were breathtaking and getting into Sorrento was easy thanks to the excellent shuttle bus available. Because of the location it was very quiet at night so no problems sleeping. We both agreed we would stay there again and look forward to returning!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Mrs/Mr mazza1111,

Thank you for staying at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, Sorrento.

It is our pleasure to know that you have enjoied your stay together with us.

We will look forward welcoming you again at our hotel during your next visit to Sorrento.

With my warmest regards,

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful holiday at the Art Hotel Gran Paradiso. Before travelling, I had some concerns due to some negative reviews I had read but my worries were quashed as soon as we arrived at the Hotel. Reception staff and management were very welcoming and friendly.

We had booked 2 standard rooms at the Hotel but were offered the option to upgrade free of charge to superior sea view rooms on our arrival. This was due to a problem on one of the nights we were staying when they were short of rooms so they asked if we would all stay in one room for one night to help them out. This wasn’t a problem for us as we were family and once we saw the rooms and the view, we didn’t hesitate to help them out and take them up on their offer!

Our rooms were excellent, very comfortable and with a view to die for! I would definitely recommend you book a sea view room which has wonderful views over the Sorrento coast, Capri and Mount Vesuvius. Other guests told us that rooms at the back of the Hotel are much smaller with no view at all. Our room (127) was very big with a queen size bed, single bed and a triple sofa. The terrace was very large with 2 comfortable wicker chairs, a table and 2 loungers. The room was cleaned every morning to a very high standard and used towels were replaced daily. They also provide towels for the pool. Cleaning staff were extremely friendly and professional. Within the room was air conditioning, a mini bar and safe.

The Restaurant staff, lead by Head Waiter Giuseppe, are fantastic. They all made a huge fuss of our 8 year old son. Breakfast was buffet style with cereals, bread, toast, jams, fruit, yogurts, ham, salami, cheese, scrambled eggs, sausage or bacon, cakes and biscuits. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate, mineral water or fruit juices to drink. Dinner was 3 courses, with 4 choices of each including soup, salad, meat, fish, pasta and a vegetarian option. Not all the choices suited our son and Giuseppe was more than happy to offer him pasta and/or pizza as an alternative with a plentiful supply of parmesan!! A bottle of house wine was 10 Euros and other drinks were reasonably priced, cheaper than the bars/restaurants in Sorrento.

The free shuttle bus service is excellent. It runs to a regular timetable from 8am until 11pm, dropping and picking you up at the train station in Sorrento. This is essential due to the Hotel’s location at the top of a steep hill. It also took us to meet our bus for our trip on the Amalfi Drive and picked us up on our return.

This family run Hotel is quiet with entertainment only on one night during our visit, which was the evening of the Gala Dinner. Although our son thoroughly enjoyed himself, I wouldn’t recommend it as a hotel for children who get bored easily. There is only the swimming pool to keep them occupied and I would imagine this would be pretty busy during the main holiday season. Highlights for us were the breathtaking view from the hotel and the entire staff team, who did everything that we asked of them, nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: Do not hesitate to book a sea view room!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lisa B
HGRANPARADISO, Manager at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Dear Mrs Lisa B,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I am glad that you have enjoied your stay with us.

Hoping to welcome You again in our hotel, I send you my warmest regards,