We chose this hotel because it would be easy to walk into Sorrento whenever we wished and it offered lovely spacious rooms with sea views and a swimming pool.
Although we did not request it, our two rooms were next to each other and had been prepared immaculately with sparkling wine chilling. We had booked Premier rooms with panoramic views and we were not disappointed.......being able to enjoy them from the balcony was a highlight of our stay.
We found the breakfast buffet was excellent and had everything from sliced fresh fruit to cold meats, cheeses, cooked eggs and bacon, yoghourts and sweet pastries. Served from 7-10am though made it a little early for some of us to make the most of it!
The only other meals we had at the hotel were lunch on two occasions on the pool terrace, the price being much the same as in Sorrento itself. I did not think that Sorrento food was that expensive but the drinks are disproportionately so. Our evening meal for 4 adults was around 50-60 euros each time including the drinks, however we only ate a main course each as serving size is on the whole generous and the heat did reduce our appetites.
We had some ants invade us too and the chambermaid gave us a spray to use which seemed to do the trick. I will be adding antkiller to my travel supplies next time I go somewhere hot!
Tiled floors are lovely and cool but demand some consideration from guests.....the people above us were very quiet but were followed by guests who thought it okay to stomp about at 2am in heels and scrape chairs....even so it was not too bad.
We stayed on the side of the hotel that has a little cut through much used by scooters and being Italian they do use their horns! We didn't hear them in the night with the blind down though.
All the hotel staff we encountered were smart, friendly and charming...... however, we did not have dinner.
Thankfully our idea of a prime spot on the pool terraces (a little shade and able to see the view) did not match that of the sun worshippers who preferred to face the pool and get their places reserved early. Plenty of sunbeds and no charge for them, towels available free. Using the safe was also free.
The location is not quiet being close to the town and the hotel is busy with many visitors and a pool which can get noisy depending on which children are about. There is also often live music in the evenings so it is best to think of this as being a lively and social hotel rather than secluded and peaceful. This was a change for us as we live rurally but could be a disappointment for some.
Two tips: buy water in large bottles from the supermarket......believe me you won't mind that it isn't chilled! Buy huge rolls freshly filled at the Salumeria for only 4-5 euros....enough for two people and great for picnic lunches.
Sorrento is a lovely happy town with many places to visit, easily accessed by public transport.....we had a great time!
Overall I rated this as very good rather than excellent as I am unable to judge the service at dinner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A prestigious 4 Star Superior Rating Hotel built on the lines of the typical Mediterranean architecture, positioned on the rocky mountain dominating the town of Sorrento and the enchanting Gulf of Naples. A striking and imposing hall, wonderfully designed into the rock cavern ambience, is connected with the fifth floor of the Hotel, thanks to two fast elevators. Guests will be welcomed by a selected and highly professional staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, ACCOR, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Hotel Capodimonte reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Sorrento
- Sorrento Capodimonte
- Hotel Capodimonte Sorrento
- Capodimonte Hotel Sorrento
- Grand Hotel Capodimonte Sorrento