“A rocky start”
Review of Hotel Villa Maria

Hotel Villa Maria
Ranked #74 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a a 7 night stay at the villa Maria with my wife.

We arrived just after lunch after a very early start, we were told our room was ready!! I had booked the annex room, and it is separate from the main hotel, we had to carry our cases up 4 flights of stairs, not good after a long journey. When we entered the room I was more than disappointed, within seconds I told the receptionist I was refusing to stay there, the room was old, tired, dirty walls, poor furniture and a metal shutter for a curtain! The receptionist said it was just as the pictures......it wasn't!
We carried our cases back to reception and asked for another room, we were then told it would be 200+ euros extra!! I stuck to my guns as the annex room was not as advertised. Needless to say it was sorted quickly.
The new room in the main building was a lot better, even so it was still dated, but clean.
Everything in this hotel is extra -
- WIFI in the room.
- safety deposit box
- towels for the pool
- drinks at the pool bar are very expensive, and chargeable to the room only!
- city tax of 1 euro each per night is chargeable in cash at the end of the stay.
- mini bar in the room is overpriced
Other than that, the breakfast is very good although we were rushed when we went for a late breakfast.
The pool area is pretty good and they have made the best of what space they have, the sunbeds are comfy (even without a towel)
The staff are very friendly and try to help you as much as possible.
Regardless of everything above we had a great holiday in sorrento and will definitely will be back next year!
This hotel could be a lot better with a few little changes, other than the annex rooms!

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Pdk1971
There are newer reviews for Hotel Villa Maria

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Room was very clean, comfortable bed and nice view. Staff were all very pleasent and friendly and location was ideal. Only thing food could have been better but it is only 3 star hotel, overall a great holiday and good value for mohey - would go back tomorrow

Room Tip: Asked for a nice room as it was my birthday and was given room 103 with balcony and sea view at no e...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LynneR457
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Rooms a little tired but very clean, we had a patio area outside with table and chairs which was lovely. The pool and outside bar area is very pleasant, but not enough sun beds. Food was nice with a good choice. Highly recommend the soups . The location is very good, with a supermarket next door. What really makes this hotel though is the staff, everyone of them are fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Lorraine R
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was a very comfortable hotel, located right near the center of town. Short walk to all the restaurants, bars and shops. We had a nice spacious corner room with 2 balconies, overlooking the water and the mountainside on the other side.The staff was very friendly and professional. There was a very quaint dining room with a very nice breakfast. Fresh baked goods, croissants and eggs with bacon was a great start to the morning. If you are leaving for a tour in the morning, beware it can be quite busy and you may have to wait for a table. The A/C was a little off and the fact that you have to remove the keycard to disable the electricity while you are not in the room, made it difficult to cool the room quickly. But we managed with the breeze coming off the water. The rooftop sitting area made for a great place to "hang out" after a long day overlooking Mt. Vesuvius and the beautiful sea. The pool was very clean with ample seating to relax in the afternoons, with a bar for a drink or snack. The bartender, Matteo (I think that was his name) was fantastic !!! The best part of this hotel was the fact that it was within steps to the main street, and if you wanted to stroll, you didn't have to take a cab, walk up or down stairs or hills, you were just there !! We would definitely do it again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Vicki K
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We have just returned from a 7 night holiday staying at this hotel. ( a package holiday with Riviera Travel)......The Hotel is classed " 3 star" which I think is fair. Our room 503 had brilliant views ( paid extras ) and was good...maid service excellent! Don't use the mini bar !!!!
The meals were adequate but sometimes a little hectic particularly breakfast as trips went out early..Lower floor rooms do not have such a good outlook. Pool area clean. All staff very pleasant particularly Valentino on reception...what a smile and sense of humour! Very well postioned just on the edge of town only a short walk away. I have read a previous comment about the staff being unhelpful.....We did not witness anything of that nature despite some folks being rather demanding. The wines in the diner are expensive....so beware...don't add them to your tab !!!!!...don't have any !!!......A previous comment was about the road up to the reception, this is steep and could be a problem for people who are less mobile.
All in all we enjoyed our stay, but you need to be selective with your rooms....we would stay again.

Room Tip: high floor.....503 best...top left looking to sea...full sea view
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank Michael B
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We have just come back from the Villa Maria in Sorrento, Italy, and would like to warn people in wheelchairs or in bad health that there is a steep road to climb to reach the main enterance.

We arrived pretty late in the evening at 8:20pm, we went to reception and got our keys and was given a piece of paper where the receptionist put the codes for the room safes, he told us that if we wished to use the safe's here are the codes and you can change them if we wanted. We were told that to gt to our rooms we could use the lift or cut through the lounge, we decided that since we had our suit cases we would use the lift which was right by the reception desk. We had to wait a while in the queue as the lift was small and only a couple of people could fit in with their cases. My mother got out on the second floor and I was on third floor, I walked up and down the corridoor but could not find my room, the numbers are right above the door and are on a small brass plate and the the corridoor is not very well lit. I had to go back to reception to ask again where my room was and was told abruptly that the lift to my room was through the lounge. I eventually found my room and went back to find my mother to see if she had found hers. I saw my mother struggling with her bags and suitcase where she told me that neither of the men on reception would help or show her to her room and they were also abrupt with her.

I have read many reviews about this hotel which mention that the people who run the hotel are not very friendly, I like to judge people on how I find them myself but in this instance those people were right, I think they are very stand offish, when you walk past reception they do not say hello or good morning, There is an atmosphere in the hotel which I find difficult to put into words.

After putting our luggage in our rooms we went to the restaurant where we were shown to our table and given the menu, I am a vegetarian and there was only one choice for starters and main meal with two options take it or leave it. The soup was ok but the main meal was a lot to be desired, my mother could not eat her meal but I managed to eat mine due to the long day travelling. When the head waiter came to take the plates he said "you have not eaten it, why have you not eaten it?" he was very surprised and walked away shaking his head, unfortunatelly my mother could not eat her sweet either and the head waiter gave her the same response.

One evening we went for our meal and the head waiter accidently left the drin price list on our table, my mother picked it up and noticed that the cheapest bottle of wine was 25 euro's, as she was looking through it the head waiter hurried over to us and snatched it out of my mothers hands. the food was very poor and every time we left anything on our plates the head waiter was not very happy and let he certainly let us know. In fact my mother felt so intimidated that she refused to eat in the restaurant all together.

There is no alarm clocks or kettles in the rooms, there is a television which only shows one English channel BBC News. When you arrive at the hotel you are given a piece of paper which tells you meal times and price of the wifi, to use the wifi anywhere it was 3 euro's for half an hour and 10 euro's to use the wifi in your room for the length of your stay. I found out by accident the the wifi is free in the lounge area.

As far as I could see there was no activities in the hotel for children, there is the swimming pool which is not supervised, you would have to watch them yourself.

The rooms and the hotel is very clean, I had a single room which was big enough for me and the bed was very comfortable. There is also a B day in the bathroom, no bath only showers which is what I prefer. The views from the roof are fantastic, you can see mount Versuvius and Naples.

The train and bus station is about a 20 minute walk from the hotel the main squre is about 10 minutes walk.

The night before we were due to leave I went to pay my bill, I asked the receptionist for the bill and she me if i had used the mini bar in our rooms, I told her that we had one can of coke and one bottle of water she then told me my bill was was 40 euro's and 50 cents, I asked for a printout to see what I was paying for and was told that the extra cost was taxes. I took the printout and looked through it to find that I had been charged 14 euro's for the safes which we did not use, she said I was asked if I wanted the safe when I arrived and that i had said yes, I told her that I was not asked if I wanted the safe and that I was given a piece of paper with two codes on and told that if I wished to use the safe's here are the codes and I could change the numbers if I wanted too. She refused to refund the money and I also noticed that they had charged me for more than two drinks out of the mini bar, this had happened to everyone I spoke to.

I felt sorry for two old ladies who were in front of me when they asked for their bill, they were told it was for 150 euro's they were shocked and also asked for a printout and told the receptionist that they would have to go to their rooms to work out why their bill was so high. Another couple got their bill which was over 200 euro's and they also got a printout and were pretty shocked at the amount the bill came to.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Tony5852
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We spent 5 nights at the Villa Maria and the hotel had everything we expected but at better quality then we expected. Breakfast excellent with a great variety, staff excellent, professional and friendly allowed me to upgrade to a room with Balcony for a small charge. The hotel has a nice pool, not huge but not tiny either with plenty of chairs and loungers. Location is perfect, 2 miniute walk and you are in the centre of Sorrento and safe to walk home to at night, the train station is about 10 to 15 minutes walk, just walk straight to the other side of town we did it with bags no problem. Would stay here again if lucky enough to return to Sorrento.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple