“I'd go back”

Hotel Villa Maria
Ranked #75 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
“I'd go back”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed here for a week in mid September. This is a hotel to sleep in and to enjoy the rooftop deck. My one breakfast was unmemorable; not very good but not very bad either. The location is very good. You can walk to the center of town, Piazza Tasso, in about 10 minutes. To call my room small is to exaggerate. I had to go outside to chance my mind. But the shower worked well and the room was always clean so I didn't mind. There are larger rooms with balconies on the bayside of the hotel that looked quite nice. I'll try for one of those next time.

Room Tip: The singles are very small
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mizzou99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Bearsden, Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have just returned from a week in the Villa Maria with my husband and sister, travelling there with Riviera Travel (sep. review on Riviera site). Our first delight at having 5th floor rooms next door to each other (515 & 516 facing the balconies of flats next door) was rapidly dispelled by the size of the rooms and the fact that my sister had paid £199 supplement for single occupancy, only to get a smaller room with no balcony, which - as a smoker - was very important to her. Our "balcony" was approx. 18" wide with 2 rusty metal seats and a small table so only one person could walk out at any time, but would have been ok for her. When she asked for another room, she was told the hotel was full. It probably was, as there are not enough seats in the dining room to allow you to choose where you sit - although sharing with strangers can be beneficial if you are on your own, it can be the last thing you want after a long day out. There was also a strange smell in our rooms on arrival and for the first 2 days until we bought air freshener. Not sure where it came from but using the shower seemed to take most of it away eventually.

Two points in the hotel's favour -1) the standard of cleanliness in the rooms, dining room, and reception areas and 2) it's location to the town of Sorrento (just 5 mins walk away). Drinks were a bit expensive, but that's to be expected in a hotel - we went out most nights into the town. The sun left the pool area at 2.30 and the roof at 3.30, but I would have used the Jacuzzi on the roof terrace if it had been clean. I couldn't find the sauna at all, and the gym was a joke - 4 machines in a storage room in the basement. I did take the wifi for 10 Euros and the safe for 7 Euros - and both were worth the money.

I can't agree with the previous report (KathiB920) that the breakfast was good. Cakes, sweet pastries, small bacon squares & fried eggs swimming in oil, tinned fruit and tinned prunes (alternative days), no toaster and almost unpalatable coffee. Dinner was worse though - I'm not sure the chef has worked in a proper restaurant. Presentation of food was quite unappetising - although it did taste ok. I've had salad as a side dish, but NOT as a main vegetable for meat; tinned carrots and tinned peas; bread rolls with dinner but no butter or side plates; dry cakes for pudding or fruit (4 grapes and an orange) for desert. In a country with fabulous ice creams, plum tomatoes, mozzarella cheese in abundance in the cafes outside at lunch time, and delicious coffee - we saw very little in this dining room. The 3 supermarkets on either side of the hotel also sold a great variety of fruits. Even the Gala Dinner was like a school meal - again it tasted ok, but looked so unappealing.

I would like to return to Sorrento some day, but will never stay in this hotel again. There are lots of small hotels nearby and you can take an all day boat trip from the harbour to Capri, Positano and Almalfi for 28 Euros. This was my first holiday in Italy and unfortunately, I should have believed previous reviews I'd read before booking Villa Maria. This could be an excellent little hotel if the owner (who parades around every so often) actually stayed and ate there to experience what his guests experience. There will be people who think this is a wonderful hotel - all I can say to them is that they obviously haven't stayed in anything better than 3 star so have nothing to compare it with. I could have had 7 days of 5 star luxury in Turkey for the same price as my week in Sorrento with Riviera Travel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MRGlasgow

Travelers are raving about these Sorrento hotels

Agoura Hills, California
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We are giving this a poor rating due to many factors. Starting with the reception, which started out nice enough but the staff grew more unfriendly each day. We had read all the reviews and after spending time there, I now see why they we so very mixed. Seemed like a wonderful place for the elderly tour groups that populated most of the hotel. I am sure they didn't need wi fi which cost 10euros to use, or had a need for the Jacuzzi, which didn't work, or the ice cold pool. The rooms were tiny. The shower was ridiculously small and backed up with 2 minutes(read other reviews) The blow dryer was a joke(think circa 1970) I will say the breakfast was nice and I believe the staff there TRIED to be nice. All in all a nice enough place to visit once...

Room Tip: room 519 had a bigger shower and was quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank KathiB920
Rustington, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel with Riviera Travel. We payed extra for a room
with balcony and full sea view. We were allocated room 504 on the top floor
and the view over the lower properties to the bay of Naples and Mt Vesuvius
was worth the extra. The room was a decent size with air con, TV and safe.
It was clean and well decorated and of a good size. We had a shower room
which was supplied with shower gel and soap. Sheet were changed once in
our week and towels were clean every day. hot water was always available.

Breakfast was a typical continental style with tea, coffee, cereal, ham, cheese,
fruit bread and cakes and in addition we were served fried or scrambled eggs
every day.
Dinner was three course with a choice of 5 starters consisting of pasta & rice
dishes, soup and a salad. I enjoyed the shrimp and octopus starters. The main
course consisted of 2 meat dishes, 1 fish dish and a veggie option.
Desert was fruit or another dish which was different every day. (Ice cream,
cream caramel, cake, etc.)
The food was varied and very tasty and I cannot understand the bad reviews
I have read on this site.

Staff were always friendly and helpful.

A great location for Sorrento.

Note...Riviera Travel was a much larger operation than I expected but very slick
Our rep. Sarah, worked her socks off to make everyone's experience as
pleasant as possible.

Room Tip: A high floor is quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TedMayhew
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We have recently spent a most enjoyable week at The Villa Maria and after reading mixed reviews, were pleasantly surprised how nice it was. We were on a tour with Rivieria travel and had requested a quiet room on the 5th floor, which was also very spacious. The hotel was comfortable and clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. We arrived fairly late on the Friday evening and were given a good 3 course dinner with 3 or 4 choices of starters and main course. Dessert always consisted of fresh fruit or cake, the chocolate ice-cream cake was our favourite! We really enjoyed the Gala evening in the restaurant and afterwards dancing by the pool and our weather was perfect every day. Villa Maria is in an excellent position for exploring Sorrento.

Room Tip: We are very light sleepers and were pleased with our room on the 5th floor away from the road
Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 55OLO
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Before booking we were impressed with the website and it's claim of ocean views and free wifi....what we were given was a room in an annexed building next door to the hotel with no phone, wifi and no elevator so we had to carry our bags up 2 flights of stairs with no offer of assistance.
I wouldn't recommend it

Room Tip: Make sure your room is actually in the hotel and not in the building next door!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank D K
Agoura Hills, California
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Not fancy schmaltzy,quite adequate for the money spent .Close to everything in this gr8 little town. The help at the front desk were not very helpful, except for Pascal. Ding room staff very friendly .

• Stayed September 2013