“A tale of 2 Hotels......”
Review of Hotel Bristol

Hotel Bristol
Ranked #17 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Prudhoe
“A tale of 2 Hotels......”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I will try to write this as honest as possible as I always have done with my previous 70 reviews. This hotel has 2 faces.

Great friendly check in with the reception staff quickly sending us on our way. We had a low floor room given to us which I knew could give us an issue with road noise as per previous reviews have mentioned. They were correct. Having said that once the doors were closed it did shut out a bit of the noise from traffic close below. However the other issue with this room was that the walls were so thin. We could hear people next door either packing their cases or unpacking their cases, we could actually hear their zips on the cases at 1 o'clock in the morning, not good. To cut a long story short we lasted 4 nights in this room before asking if there could be higher one made available for us. The positive was that the room had a beautiful view.
I must say when we asked for this, the staff were excellent in very quickly finding us a room on floor 7. It became clear why there are so many great reviews of this hotel. It was like being in a different hotel, thus my heading of " A tale of 2 hotels". We had 3 final nights of perfect peace and rooms just like they should be with fantastic views again. Thomson, I think should make this clear on their info about this hotel as it is not acceptable to pay so much money for nights of purgatory on the lower floors. We did hear another 3 peole in our short stay here complainig to the hotel staff of the same issue as ours.

Facilities as previous reviews state are excellent with a great pool area and garden walks. A snack bar by the pool, a lunchtime restaurant and a most pleasant dining room for evening dinners. The staff in all of these areas were fantastic and so polite and helpful. The food was decent enough with 6 starters for starters and mains each night on the menu for dinner which was always waiter service, which I must say they were all excellent in their manner.

So, all in all eventually we had a fantastic stay at the Bristol.

Room Tip: Definately ask for a high floor room.
1 Thank Lesdawsonprudhoe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Henley in Arden, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 weeks on floor 4. The room is basic Italian style but has everything you need and is very clean. My only suggestion would be to upgrade the linen as its a bit old. Balcony with the sea view is stunning and worth very penny! The food was good, you could find something to eat every night, however it's not haute cuisine, pretty standard local dishes. The services is excellent and the wine list is comprehensive enough. The bar upstairs has a great view and the service again is great, the entertainment however is very dull and needs to be left in the 80's. facilities in general are great especially on the roof terrace with the pool.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This was our second time in Sorrento and having stayed up in the hills before we wanted to have that kind of hotel quality but nearer the town. The Bristol was a great choice, just a few minutes walk to the Corso Italia, the main street, which is a continuation of the road passing the hotel. We paid extra for a balcony room with sea view and we were not disappointed! This is a view to die for! I could have happily sat there all day! There was a small table and two chairs provided. We overlooked the small harbour, with the beautiful town stretching out into the distance, and to the left the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius. We so love this view! The hotel is on a main road but this did not detract from the enjoyment for us. Nice to watch the world go by also! We also appreciated the mechanical shutters on the French doors which kept the morning light out until we were ready. The room was a good size with a digital telly and a few English channels, mostly news. Maid service was good, they even turned the beds down in the evening. The whole place was clean and tidy. The roof terrace was lovely with comfy seats and loungers, The swimming pool is on the roof above the terrace, with a seated bar at one end. One small problem was the trees which blot out the sun in the afternoon, so you could find yourself moving around the sunbeds to stay in the sun. But sometimes a bit of shade is welcome in the heat, so nothing serious!
We arrived about 9.30pm and they had kept the restaurant open to serve us dinner. All the restaurant staff are excellent and very helpful, especially Matteo the Maitre D'. I like to eat gluten free and a couple of other things free, and they did their best to help, replacing pasta based starters with a caprese salad for instance. The menu was varied and I found a suitable main every day. The dining room also has a stunning view over Sorrento, just a bit higher up than our balcony view. There is a very pleasant bar which serves excellent cocktails as well as the usual drinks and had some basic musical entertainment a few nights, mostly someone playing piano or playing and singing. The hotel is in a great location for easy access to the shops, cafes and restaurants of Sorrento, and there are some small shops and a mini-mart just down the road for extra food and drink supplies! Would highly recommend this hotel and would love to go back!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a balcony with sea view, well worth it!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EssexLin1
Spalding,Lincs
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We have visited this hotel on 10 previous occasions but were a little concerned to note prior to this visit a very negative report from an isolated review. Having just made our eleventh visit then I can only say that the isolated negative review appeared totally without foundation.This also appears to have been the case with many positive reviews subsequently submitted.
The staff I think are the main saving grace of this hotel whereby you find them always polite,helpful and courteous.
The style of the hotel is possibly now somewhat dated but is nevertheless maintained to an excellent high level.Comments regarding food,location and facilities have been commented on positively my many other reviewers and I would concur with all the positive comments.
Although the hotel does have some facilities for small children the hotel is more ideally suited to couples and I would think this accounts for possibly 80 - 90pct of the custom.
We always stay in the Villa Bianca suites which are more expensive than staying in the main hotel complex.These include a very spacious bedroom/lounge and a terrace with jaccuzi,hammocks,sun beds,loungers etc.The only downside is the 60 + steps climb upto the Villas but well worth it for the able bodied but in 30degree + heat then you must take this into consideration when booking.

1 Thank avebury27
Morpeth, United Kingdom

The room
We had a junior suite which was beautiful, lovely big bath and shower, separate twin room aside from the main room which we did not use (didn't fall out ;)) and really clean. The balcony was also lovely and the views over the coastline were fantastic. We did not find it too noisy even though it was on the main road.

Facilities
The hotel pool was very clean and had the most fantastic views over Sorrento. The staff were very helpful and also respectful, not over bearing at all. The quality of the towels and robes were very good. The waiters were very formally dressed and the service was also formal, very relaxed though, staff were very nice. Also there is a lovely veranda where we were served evening drinks.

Location
Fantastic location, although you do have to walk up a hill to get to it and the hill is relatively steep so if you have any issues walking, you may have a bit of trouble. It is outside of the main town.

Restaurant

So dissapointing, we were told that the restaurant was amazing, best food in the area by a few people, also on reviews. We dined there only two nights as the first night, the fish was very watery and overcooked, the veg was near mush, when you put a fork in it, it fell apart and my partners meat was rubbery. We were on a DB and B deal so we gave it another go, same. Not impressed at all, we ate in the town centre the rest of the week. The breakfast was OK, but a little limited selection.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Clevedon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We have just returned from our 2 week honeymoon staying at the Hotel Bristol Sorrento.
It exceeded my expectations throughout. Its clean and kept immaculate by a team of very hard working maintenance guys and cleaners. We always saw them doing loads of little jobs. All of the staff are really friendly, they have clearly been very well trained to a high standard. It makes a big difference to have friendly happy staff who make it seem like nothing is too much trouble.
I have gone half board before at other hotels in Italy and Austria and I have never liked the food, always thought it was sub-standard canteen type food. So I didn't have high hopes that the Bristol would be any different. We decided to eat there on our first night as we were a bit tired and said we would go out to the restaurants in the town for the rest of the holiday. However, the food completely surprised us. You get 6 options each for starter, main and dessert which is great and the food they served up was of a very high quality. We are big foodies but we couldn't pick fault in anything we were served up. If you don't happen to like any of the options available to you then they have got a list of about 10-15 dishes which they can always do for you. I never had to look at that list as there was always at least 1 or 2 dishes off the menu that I liked the sound of. When I was in the pool one day I did hear 2 vegetarian ladies moaning about the lack of choice for them but as I am not a vegetarian there are plenty of delicious meals to choose from!
The chefs really know how to cook meat as every single time they got it spot on and I would like to know how they get their pork so juicy and tender every time!

We did go out to eat in the evening 5 times, not because we didn't like what the hotel was going to serve up, just because we like trying different places and there are tons of restaurants to choose from in Sorrento centre.

Little touches I really liked; turn-down service in the evening, free pool towel everyday, bottle of spumante in an ice bucket with glasses on arrival, bottle of prosecco bubble wrapped with a picture and message from the staff in your room on your last night, the fact you get to choose between lunch or dinner everyday, eggs cooked to order for your breakfast.

The views are absolutely stunning and its definitely worth paying the extra for a balcony and sea view. We were on the 6th floor so we didn't get much road noise at all (I didn't notice any). From what I heard others saying the rooms are bigger lower down but the room we had, had perfectly adequate space for us and its not like I want to spend my holiday sat in my room the whole time. I got what I paid for; a sea view, balcony, (twin beds as advertised in the brochure but with double sheets on them so the beds don't separate in the night), and a gorgeous hotel which I would describe as old school glamorous grandeur.

We did find that people got up early to put their towels down to get the best sunbeds which get the sun all day and those would be the people who would sit there all day with their umbrella shades up, which is a bit annoying. But even though we didn't get to the pool until around 10am - 10.30am we could still get a sun bed. The ones we got usually lost the sun around 3pm so either we just went to the pool bar for drinks or on quite a few days some of the people who had got their for 7am to get the best sunbeds were actually getting up and taking their stuff with them at about 3.30/4pm so then we could make the most of the evening sun and have their sunbeds.

The hotel does seem to be completely full of the Brits and Irish which we are not used to, normally on holiday we are surrounded by Italians, Germans and other nationalities. So if like me you are used to the normal thing being topless sunbathing as that's what all the continental ladies seem to do it isn't the same at this hotel. I was the only one! There's no sign up at the hotel to say you can't sunbathe topless and staff didn't tell me to put by bikini top back on. I probably got a few looks from prudish Brits but I just blanked them out!

We will definitely return to the Bristol Hotel Sorrento and we would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to avoid road noise. 6th floor was great for us.
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at the Hotel Bristol in May. We are both in our early 40s and I'd say we were one of the youngest guests. I had high hopes based on the Tripadviser reviews I'd read and was a tiny tiny bit disappointed. The hotel is olde worlde traditional Italian decor with high quality furnishings. The poolside views are incredible and lovely touch to have an attendant on standby handing out towels. The customer service was second to none. However, our room was pretty basic furnished in the traditional decor of the hotel - tiny balcony on the second floor also - which actually wasn't too noisy - I think the sound travels up the way. The food also was plentiful but pretty boring - meat and 2 veg type of thing or stodgy creamy pasta. It was absolutely fine and you couldn't complain about it but just a bit boring and heavy for my tastes. By day 3 you really are asking for melon only for a starter and strawberries only for dessert to freshen your tastebuds before and after meat and 2 veg type food. Not a taste explosion but fantastic waiter service overseen by Matteo - a true star. I'd say its a perfect location for older couples who appreciate excellent customer service and who like plainish food.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a more luxurious room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple