“Fawlty Towers, but not funny”
Review of Hotel del Corso

Hotel del Corso
Ranked #70 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Wiltshire UK
“Fawlty Towers, but not funny”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My initial hopes were high. A phone conversation with Francesco [I think that's his name] about leaving my suitcase a few days before checking in so that I go off walking was polite and helpful - as he continued to be in person. His employer was rather different though, a supercillious man, who seemed to view his clients as undiscerning fools it wasn't worth his while wasting time on. After all if you were idiot enough to check in to his place, you were clearly lacking something!

On my arrival he'd instructed an apologetic Francesco to demand full payment in cash up front. I politely refused. I was then shown to a dark cell with no window except the frosted one in the door leading from the dark hallway.. I asked for another room.

The new room next door was only marginally better, opening directly onto the noisy covered terrace & bar with a bar table right outside. There was at least a window opening on to the street though. The room was poorly furnished with cheap, ancient, scratched furniture and walls painted a pale yellow with scuff marks and stains. The floor tiles were cracked and the toilet/shower room looked ancient, with a high window that opened onto the public terrace. The noise from the terrace and the street meant I needed ear plugs to sleep.

At E 65 per night [allegedly a discounted price for one person!], the hotel is an appalling rip-off. [At E20, I still wouldn't have been impressed, but I might have been more tolerant.]

Mercifully I stayed just the one night. Having to leave very early in the morning, I asked if I could take some fruit with me in lieu of breakfast. 'Not possible' was the reply.

I can understand that people offered better rooms might have a more positive view of the place. And if they only get to deal with Francesco they might think the customer service is good. My advice though is - it's not worth the risk. For a similar price there are far better places in Sorrento. [See my review of Villa Pane for example]

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side, on the left as you walk down the main corridor from reception, are likely t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank Tontilly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Rome
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Previous reviews held me skeptical but arrived in Sorrento after being pick pocketed in Rome. We were exhausted. The concierge gave us an adorable room with our own terrace. The lobby has a small bar, books and an adorable 3 yr old that is family member. Breakfast was ample with fruit, rolls, juice on the terrace, oh don't forget the coffee. Would definitely stay again. Only problem was the wifi, even with paying could not get it in room, only in public areas. But, I met great people travelling. Don't forget to see Teatro Tasso. Tenors are superb and musicians, magnificent. And the Michaelangelo Cheese Factory. Great People. And near the supermarket Gia Russa Risturant. Reasonable and Delicious.

Room Tip: Ask for balcony room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I have to say this hotel boasts 3 stars however was below average in quality and facilities. Although its in the main square and easy to get around, the room itself was very old, musty and not comfortable. The bathroom in particular was a problem with a shower railing almost broken, curtain too long as it clogged up the drain as you stand in 10cm water and it went everywhere on the floor when you were done. It was impossible to not get the whole room wet. My bed also had a broken spring which stuck int my back when sleeping. The breakfast was not very appealing and they charge you for wifi when a lot of other hotels have it for free. They also came into our room while we weren't there to remove a single bed without telling us and moved all our personal belongings which I didn't like. There was no explanation of facilities, ie the bar, any maps or general information given as we would expect. We had to ask questions all the time.

The onlylus is that they have laundry machine and dryer which you can pay to use, rarity in Italy. I wouldn't recommend to stay unless you just want a base and you don't want to spend much time there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ashley M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I come in this hotel quite often and I love its vibe. The rooms are cosy, breakfast served in a terrace, they always serve fresh fruits. The masterpiece is definitely thei balcony facing the Vesuvius and the Naples bay. Central located, family run. U definitely like it!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank elpatojones
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed in the 3 Star???? Del Corso in Sorrento just last week ( May 7-9) How they got their 3 star rating is the big question. It was dirty and they first put us in a room with no window and then moved us into an unrenovated room on the top floor that was spacious but very strange with a wooden ladder up to the bathroom. Very challenging in the middle of the night. Very old 'spring in your back' mattresses. Definetely needs upgrading.Not recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nance22
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We spent 2 weeks in Italy and found some amazing gems but this is definitely not a place I’d recommend. The location is convenient and there’s a nice terrace but that’s about all it’s got going for it.

My single bed was extremely uncomfortable (more like a cot and without a box spring), the towels were thin and discoloured, we had no hot water for showers on Day 2, the breakfast buffet table was crawling with ants and not to mention, the unfriendly staff with one particularly rude individual.

Here are some other things that stood out about our stay:
• If you get quoted availability via email, be careful to note that they’ve probably quoted the rate based on a cash payment. It will be more if you pay with credit card which is not disclosed so make sure you are clear on the rate.
• They tried to say that we’d been upgraded because our room had a balcony. I’m fairly certain all of their rooms have a “balcony” but regardless, we didn’t feel it was an upgrade. The balcony wasn’t wide enough to sit out on nor did it provide a view but ultimately, it made our stay extremely noisy when bottles were thrown out by local restaurants and then picked up each night.
• My friend was reprimanded for not using a tray at breakfast. Really?
• I thought I’d settle our bill the night prior to departure so I paid 280 Euro with a credit card but was told that I had to pay the tax (6 Euro) in cash. Totally understandable but I didn’t have cash on me at the time and my friend was already in bed so I said that I’d pay the balance in the morning. The front desk agent was extremely rude saying that I needed to pay the tax and that it would be easier for him if I paid at that moment. Apparently I was delusional to think they’d make it “easy” for their guests; I felt like I was being accused of theft and he was insinuating that I was going to try and skip out on paying the tax. Seriously. I already paid 280 Euros, I wasn’t going to try and skip out on 6 Euros.

We stayed 3 nights and definitely regret confirming this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Time2Travel_K
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel del Corso for five (5) nights in March of 2012 and we were very satisfied with our stay. We were in a Quad room and never felt cramped - the room was very clean. Breakfast was typical Italian fare - rolls, fruit, juice, meat, cheese, cereal, coffee, and tea. We would definitely stay there again and have already recommended the hotel to friends.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends